DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by Jakkuh-15
[April 17, 2024, 09:36:07 AM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: GBU-34/B jdam & ALQ-184  (Read 3124 times)

Splash-Hawk

GBU-34/B jdam & ALQ-184
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:13:23 AM »
Hi all,

Trying to figure out the right technique to release the GBU-34/B jdam (Joint Direct Attack Munition).
My plane has the ALQ-184 (which I believe is an uppgrade from ALQ-119).

The target acquisition, lock and release, appears simple enough, a lot like any Maverick would, but for some obscure reasons doesn?t quite work that well.
weapon on, uncaged, FOV/PRE/VIS/EXP then what? thought one had to keep release button pushed in until queue line drop, but no no no, that just releases the weapon ! (usually on a school  :-P) without any guidance whatsoever...

As anyone got any sort of advices/experience with it?

Thanx
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:19:40 AM by Splash-Hawk »

Coda

Re: GBU-34/B jdam & ALQ-184
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
drop, but no no no, that just releases the weapon ! (usually on a school  :-P) without any guidance whatsoever...
That wasn't a school, it was an insurgent training camp...  :beer2:

Splash-Hawk

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »
Actually the insurgent training camp was the target...

Forgot to mention that the GBU-34/B jdam and the ALQ-184 are not even mentioned under [Tactical Reference] so don?t bother looking there.

Any ideas on how to manage target acquisition and guided release on to those little b*******?  :bat:

Offline Venom

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
GBUs are precision guided.  not like mavericks at all, unless 34s are different from the others.

you need to recon your target and assign it to a steerpoint.  It doesn't have to be the same as the steerpoint you see in the area.  I often assign several different steerpoints to tagets in an area ie, 12, 13, 14 & 15.  Then be sure to save it to your data cartridge.

when you are ingressing to the target steerpoint your AG radar will already be set to that location.  designate it and the data is transfered to the munition.

Now what I do, once the cue starts down the fall line, is switch to manual release and pickle.  then back to ccrp and next target steerpoint, designate switch to manual and release, rinse and repeat.

By setting up two bomb profiles you can swicth back and forth pretty quickly and get four JDAMs off hitting four different targets in a small area, say like an airbase or a nuclear complex

hope this helps

Splash-Hawk

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
Thank?s Venom,

[I often assign several different steerpoints to tagets in an area ie, 12, 13, 14 & 15.  Then be sure to save it to your data cartridge.]
That can be done straight in the ICP right? (while waiting for take off clearance) or is it a better idea to do it in pre-flight?

[when you are ingressing to the target steerpoint your AG radar will already be set to that location.  designate it and the data is transfered to the munition.]
I didn?t know that. speaking of which, isn?t weird that when in AG radar mode, and once CCIP is selected on MK82s for example, then the radar GMT isn?t there anymore...when you need it the most.

[GBUs are precision guided.  not like mavericks at all, unless 34s are different from the others]
just about exactly as Mavericks, no CCIP or CCRP modes, (OGB 34/power on/weapon(not timed out)/uncaged/ then video return in right MFD ), once in range, acquisition with the little square in the HUD or in MFD in /VIS/EXP/FOV/ or BORE mode however I can?t figure out an efficient idiot proof technique to release the bomb on the target (Bunker ventilation)
and RTB  a.s.a.p.

I?ll give it another go tonight, wish me luck!

Offline Venom

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
 :-[  Opps,

Maybe I need to back up a bit.

What version of Falcon are we talking about?
I only fly the Open Falcon version and do not see any GBU34s in my arsenal.

Offline Venom

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »
GBU-34/B
The GBU-34/B, built by Lockheed Martin, is a JDAM with a BLU-116/B penetrating warhead. The 2000 lb class BLU-116/B AUP (Advanced Unitary Penetrator) warhead is primarily used in the GBU-24/B series of 2000 lb Paveway III LGBs, but has also been evaluated for use as a JDAM munition. However, the GBU-34/B apparently never entered operational stockpiles.

source: http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app5/jdam.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal