Hello from Canada by Rufus
[April 28, 2024, 04:56:21 PM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Sneakpeek
[April 17, 2024, 11:53:20 PM]

Author Topic: Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER
« on: April 15, 2024, 08:42:21 AM »
For the time being I only have the canopy motor switch (canopy up and down), I have heard that newer BMS versions have a more complete implementation.

I have been doing a search in the forums about the different spider switches, the best explanation I have found is this one from Blaze:

Which ones are now in BMS, the rolling switch or the funny one, canopy sealing?

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 09:32:25 AM »
Yeah.. since 2 years.. maybe 3.. Something like that. Already implemented in my pit :D

Don`t make just what your sim does, make all that is available, no matter if actual used or not :D

Online Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 08:35:23 PM »
Also don't forget that there are quite a few things you can hard-wire your pit to do to emulate the RL jet that BMS doesn't think about, or implement correctly.  I'm already thinking about such with regard to my lighting power management...just plain bypass BMS and hard-wire.
- Rufus

Offline Atlas

• General
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 11:36:57 AM »
Are there any plans or measurements for the bits where the switches are mounted?  Would be nice if I can 3D print these and get them working.  I believe I already have a copy of the spider switch and the hinge assembly to connect it to the cockpit, but that's it.

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 04:04:11 PM »
The "roller switch" is atually used in BMS. It is the detection that the canopy is closed.
The other switch that you can manually toggle, and is pushed back when the spider is "closed" is only needed if you want to implement a "real" moving canopy  :whistle:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 04:04:48 PM »
Don`t make just what your sim does, make all that is available, no matter if actual used or not :D

+1   :thumbsup:

(that is, make it "future-proof")
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:11:16 PM by henkie »

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 04:10:16 PM »
Also don't forget that there are quite a few things you can hard-wire your pit to do to emulate the RL jet that BMS doesn't think about, or implement correctly.  I'm already thinking about such with regard to my lighting power management...just plain bypass BMS and hard-wire.

In my solution (WAT - Wireless Arduino Transceiver) I have both implemented.
Try to avoid "hard-wiring", make it a bit more "intelligent". For example lighting. Instead of connecting switches and pots directly to lamps and solenoids or dimmers, connect them to inputs of an Arduino (Nano for example). The software can do the "clever" things (correct F-16 operation). The Arduino drives the hardware (lamps, solenoids etc.)
You can do anything in the software  :whistle:

Online Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 08:10:18 PM »
You'd think that...but I've been doing software testing for aircraft avionics and systems for 35 some years now and watching the screw-ups due to over-reach almost daily.  Which usually begin with - "it's just software".  Best approach is to select the best approach for the tasking.

I totally agree with doing a lighting controller/box because that's what they do on a real jet...but it's a chunk of hardware and on software is involved.  At least for Interior Lighting.

But my thoughts for my pit have more to do with functions or operational procedure not included in BMS base software that can be easily incorporated with wiring.  Some of my thoughts on lighting and power management fall into that category.
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 04:52:52 AM »
Of course, if some functionality can be realized by just some hardware, the Arduino + software would be "overkill".
It is good to think things through and keep it as simple as possible.

But take your example: (interior) LIGHTING. When you read the F-16 documentation, you see that even this panel "hides" some functionality which cannot be simply done in hardware. I designed a hardware "controller" for the LIGHTING panel (years ago), and even though it included some of the described functionality, it did not include everything ... It is also a matter of how far you want to go with the 100% correct simulation  :whistle:   ;D

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 05:42:33 AM »
The "roller switch" is atually used in BMS. It is the detection that the canopy is closed.
The other switch that you can manually toggle, and is pushed back when the spider is "closed" is only needed if you want to implement a "real" moving canopy  :whistle:

That that you said really confused me. I'm still running my cockpit with BMS 4.34 and I use the "other switch that you can manually toggle". Is momentary down, so if you release the canopy stops and doesn't keep on closing, as safety measure, and locks in the up (opening canopy) position. It works as such in BMS, I don't understand what you said about  " is only needed if you want to implement a "real" moving canopy"

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 08:38:49 AM »
In the new release of BMS, that roller switch is supported. It indicates that the canopy is closed.
The switch you mention is not used in BMS. However, you can use it as the roller switch  :D

If you have the roller switch and use it as the "canopy closed" signal, you could use the other switch for actually open/close a canopy if you have a canopy installed on your pit. In that case, the switch actuates the motor to open/close the canopy (frame).

Offline Tulkas

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 08:46:01 AM »
In the new release of BMS, that roller switch is supported. It indicates that the canopy is closed.
The switch you mention is not used in BMS. However, you can use it as the roller switch  :D

If you have the roller switch and use it as the "canopy closed" signal, you could use the other switch for actually open/close a canopy if you have a canopy installed on your pit. In that case, the switch actuates the motor to open/close the canopy (frame).

I still don't get it, if in the real plane you use the toggle switch to lower or raise the canopy, why would we want in our cockpits the roller switch to do that job?

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 08:59:19 AM »
I did not have acces to a real roller switch, but did not care. I just used a normal dip s switch for the roller replacement, and a 2nd 2 pole swtich for up / down.

I used a switch with 2 circles because so I have 1 circle for use in the sim and also, if available later to control a real motor to drive the canopy... :yeah:

Offline Atlas

• General
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 11:31:04 AM »
I still don't get it, if in the real plane you use the toggle switch to lower or raise the canopy, why would we want in our cockpits the roller switch to do that job?
The toggle switch is to raise/lower the canopy, I believe the roller switch then locks/seals the cockpit.  Both the toggle switch and the roller switch (via the spider) is implemented in BMS.

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 01:25:23 PM »
I explained very much of the process in my WIp from pahe 112 to 115
https://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=537.msg177914#msg177914
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal