* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 90
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: F-16 pit and X-Plane  (Read 1772 times)

Offline bluc69

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • Luca "Merlin" Bolis
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
F-16 pit and X-Plane
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
Now that my pit is quite complete I have a lot of people asking me to try it.
As I only have BMS installed, I used to show the pit with that software.

I have noticed that, while the experts like it as it gives you a 100% working cockpit and a true flight model, people with no flight experience only see the old graphic engine and not all the pit working functions.

Therefore I'm evaluating the possibility to install X-plane and to use it just to give an eye-candy experience.

I have searched here on VP and also on x-plane dedicated forums but I have found only old informations.

Does anybody know if there is a credible F-16 for x-plane 10 that could export MFD and CP gauges on secondary monitors?

If I remember well AIC software works with X-Plane so I think I could have all the other instruments working...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:41:41 AM by bluc69 »

Offline Focaldesign

• General
  • VP Awards King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
Re: F-16 pit and X-Plane
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »
You are flying stock Korea operations theater then I assume? And what graphic settings?
With some minor mods (skins), and a nice theater like Battle for Balkans or Aegan, you already get a much nicer experience in BMS.

Offline bluc69

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • Luca "Merlin" Bolis
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
I usually flight KTO and Balkans (V.3 completed with a fully working campaing made by a friend).

For the show I use a special Balkans version with airports and towns made by Nove and I use to fly from Aviano or Rivolto to Venice that is very well done and easily recognizable by my italian friends.
Even with all these stuff, for people accustomed to xbox or Playstation games, the graphic looks really poor and dated.

I think X-Plane could improve things a little...

JJ

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »
I would also love to see the real world when flying around.  But the pilots who tested my pit were amazed of the quality they saw in BMS.. They all told me :  "In real we don't see that quality of ground textures " .

Offcourse the buildings etc when we are near the ground looks 1990..  But for sim flying i think we should not bother too much about the ground graphics. The functionality is according me much more important. And when we wait 5 years we use google maps :)

Offline bluc69

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • Luca "Merlin" Bolis
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:15:58 PM »
JJ I agree with you.
Infact I have no intention to flight something different from BMS!
It's just for non pilot guests...

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
I think improving the Viper needs to be number one on the list. I do, however, love when the ground terrain graphics are improved. The runways and airports are where we spend most of out time. I would really love to have the ATC sounding more realistic. I have flown the F-16 in Microsoft FX and I don't like it. I have not tried X-plane yet, but I have seen the ground terrain. If that was in BMS, that would be awesome.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »
I have X-plane and fly it every now and then and when I do I can actually spot terrain features from the valley that I live in and routes that I have flown in real life that I recognize from experience.

Given that BMS/FAF are network connectable, I should think that there could be a way to serve aircraft attitude and position information from BMS/FAF into the world of X-plane using a plug-in of some sort.
- Rufus

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:38:19 AM »
I am of the opinion that the implementation of the proper operation of the instruments, the procedures, the flight model, are the base, but that if you improve the graphics of the 3D world that surrounds "all this" is better, improves the coinvolgimento! Otherwise, why be damned to seek new solutions, wide-angle projections, etc. as well as new technologies to display the 3D world around the pit and its rider!?

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline Goofy

• LT. General
  • VP Awards Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
What it comes down to for me is the question whether you are building a procedure trainer or a flight simulator. I think the graphics add a lot to the feeling of actually flying a plane, which is most important to me. The more the level of the complexity of the simulation grows, the less the graphics are of major importance though, as you are more immersed in the tactical side of it. I love the scenery of the Israel theater for example, but when there is a lot going on in the simulation it tends to take a lot out of the frame rate, which starts to annoy me, I therefor love the Balkan theater, with loads of AI and a good frame rate all over, so very fluid flying and great combat simulation.
Also having the exact feel of the F-16 is important, but not "that" important to me. To the simulation it doesn't matter if the throttle range is a little bit different or if the pull on the stick is a bit different, I am sure there is no F-16 pilot who'd be bothered by that after a few minutes of flying. During training sessions on the sim with pilots that are new on the type of aircraft I fly, I often get questions like "whats the right power setting" or "how much input do I need" ....and the answer simply is: as much as is needed. Every plane flies different every time, but your brain just adjusts to the feel very quickly. We often practice hydraulic failures, to a fly-by-wire aircraft this means it reverts from a digital plane to what we call a 'real plane'....it feels a bit sluggish, but after a minute or two you don't even notice anymore.
.....so, to make a long story even longer, the graphics are important to me, but get a bit less important the further you immerse into the combat side of the simulation.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
Very well said, Goofy...and I agree 100%!  Once you actually start running the cockpit the OTW cues only really need be enough to add the confusion of spacial disorientation to make you feel as if you are "flying".  After that muscle memory becomes the next biggest operational factor, and if you do or don't have 100s or 1000s of hours in the real jet you will still adapt to what you have...then go try and fly someone else's sim - it's an interesting experience!

I think there have been lots of creative solutions to OTW visual systems and presentations here - the real limiting factor IMO is the amount of space each of us has to work with to put up a large enough presentation that actually fills our visual field edge the edge, top to bottom...like a real domed sim does.  That takes a lot of space - about 30' diameter/15' radius, optimally.  I've flown trainers that use both interior and exterior projection systems and they still take up about the same amount of room - a 30 foot by 30 foot by 30 foot space.
- Rufus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal