* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 156
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: The Viper Simmer  (Read 18926 times)

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: The Viper Simmer
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2022, 08:07:54 PM »
I know that when I got my Private Pilot's license I was taught that the FAA standard for ALL air operations was the English language.  I know this isn't strictly adhered to in ALL locations (try flying into Quebec and not speaking French, forex...) but supposedly it's the FAA "standard" by Regulation.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/1031388

... ICAO standard, not just FAA.
FOGHORN

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2022, 02:27:11 PM »
Thanks, Foghorn.  I thought that...but wasn't positive.
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2022, 11:30:52 PM »
If you guys haven't checked out the new JTAC features with 4.36 do so.  It is so freaking cool!!!   JTAC starts at about 29:00 minutes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF1EYCS78o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF1EYCS78o</a>

https://youtu.be/vjF1EYCS78o
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 01:17:39 AM by Sandman »
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2022, 12:14:50 AM »
If you guys haven't checked out the new JTAC features with 4.36 do so.  It is so freaking cool!!!   JTAC starts at about 29:00 minutes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF1EYCS78o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF1EYCS78o</a>
I had sent this to a buddy of mine who's an aviation& f-16 tragic. This will convince him to build a pit. It's an absolute ripper. great work.
imho the best aspect is you explained everything you did... super informative.
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »
Hey guys,

I posted a range practice video a few days ago and asked Foghorn to critique it.  Expecting only a "Nice work" I was pleasantly surprised with a COMPLETE IP style review & assessment.  Needless to say I learned a tons on how to improve and fly more realistic and thought this is a great opportunity for others to fine tune their procedures.

Once again thanks to Foghorn for all the time he put in helping me out.

Jody

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptfl5tEdqcE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptfl5tEdqcE</a>

And this is his assessment

Nice work!

Now to ruin your day (aka IP comments):

The Passes

10 LALD #1 -- Safe Escape - Turning Maneuver Level Turn (TMLT... aka "Tuna Melt") parameters are 0-5o through 60o of turn.  This pass would have been a valid record hit for AFI 11-206 qualifications, but would have been a Top Gun Gross Error (TGGE) for the Top Gun competition for invalid safe escape.  You deviated above 5o nose high during the turn.

10 LALD #2 --  Good 11-206 Pass.  Meets TG criteria.

10 LALD #3 -- 11-206 Non-Record Pass.  AFI 11-206 only allows 2 attacks of the same type from the same attack axis.  Therefore, this is a non-record bomb, and is not recorded for your accuracy qualifications.  Also, because it is a non-record pass, it is also discounted from TG criteria.  Otherwise, it was a Good Pass.  Curiously, you commented that, "it was a bit shallow", which is incorrect.  Your release was at 12o dive angle, so it was actually slightly steep.  TG criteria is ±5o, so you were well within parameters.

10 LALD all passes -- Why did you TMLT right instead of left?  Isn't the box pattern left traffic?  Nothing wrong with how you did it, just curious.

30 DB #1 -- Good 11-206 Pass.  TGGE for over-G (6.1).

30 DB #2 -- Good 11-206 Pass.  TGGE for over-G (6.2).

30 DB #3 -- Non-Record Pass. Non-TG Pass.  It would have been a TGGE for over-G (6.8!).

30 DB all passes -- after completing the climbing maneuver, why did you turn right before turning left to crosswind?  Again, isn't the box pattern left traffic?  This seems unnecessary.

General IP comments and discussion:

1.  I have never seen the technique of using the OAs for your Roll In Point and Aim Off Distance before.  I like it; it's fantastic.  I'm completely stealing that... you know, if I were still flying Vipers regularly.

2.  Who showed you the hand/canopy relationships for the different pass angles?  I did not expect you would know those.  Pleasantly surprised!

3.  There is a difference between a Safe Escape Maneuver, and a Safe Separation Maneuver when bombing.  Safe Escape (TMLT or CSEM) Maneuver is to get your ass out of the frag bubble of your own bombs before they impact and explode.  Safe Separation Maneuver (SSM) is to simply get you far enough away from your bombs at release before they arm and possible (mal-)function early.  These are not the same maneuvers, though they are close.

10 LD and 20 LD passes put you within your own frag bubble when you release, so you need to do a Safe Escape.  30 DB (and higher) passes do not... in fact, an 'on-parameters' delivery will keep you from ever entering the frag bubble... so Safe Separation from your own bombs are the requirement.

So (unless the procedures have change since I last flew Vipers, which is possible), a CSEM is a straight pull to a minimum of 5 G's in 2 seconds, held through 20o nose high, and then continued at any G until 30o nose high before beginning any turn.  A SSM is a stright pull to a minimum of 5 G's in 2 seconds, held until 20o nose high before beginning a turn.  Like I said, very similar, but technically different.

On your 30 DB passes, you were verbally talking yourself through an (incorrect) CSEM, but performing (correctly) a SSM.  Again, it is possible that things have changed since I last flew, but I doubt it... cuz they never changed in that manner in my 27 years.

4.  What munitions were you dropping?  500#-ers, one at a time?  If so, you over-G'd your bombs on your first 30 DB.  5.5G is both the carriage limit and employment limit on pretty much all 500#-class and 2000#-class weapons.  If you were dropping the 25# BDU-33 practice bombs, their carriage limit is higher, and thus no over-G... but we always evaluate for TG criteria as if it were a full scale weapon.  Ergo, you have a 0.5g window.  Welcome to BSA, the sport of kings.

5.  "2, Go Tight"  WTF is that?

Okay, very anal-retentive stuff, but also 100% true (plus or minus procedure changes I'm unaware of).  BSA on the range is a game of precision for Top Gun criteria, while the basic AFI 11-206 doesn't care about precision passes... only "did you hit the target".  Yes, you are being measured against two differing sets of standards every time you go out to the range.  AFI only cares about successfully hitting the target.  TG is a competition of precision.

All together though, fantastic job on the range.  I would have easily mistaken you for an experienced Viper Flight Lead in a squadron.

Cheers,

Foghorn
USAF Top Gun 1997
USAF Top Gun 1998
USAF Top Gun 1999
USAF Top Gun 2000
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2022, 01:10:20 PM »
Fricking COOL Jody, and what a great assesment from FH  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You can always be my wingman  :D :D :D

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2022, 04:25:05 PM »
Awesome achievement Jody  :clap:

I don't even dream of achieving "good", forget your level  ::)

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »
It's amazing the amount of time spent by members to help each other.
Hat's off to FH and amazing videos Jody! You're the king of these.  :vprules:

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2022, 08:15:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind words as I beat Jody into shape with a ball peen hammer.  Only 2- or 3-thousand more passes and he'll be ready for combat!

I kid. I kid.  He really is doing a great job, and like I said, I was nitpicking the living hell outta his passes, exactly as if he was one of the guys in the squadron, and this was just another regular day on the range.  Those very nitnoid discrepancies I debriefed are very typical of every proficient, active flyer in the airframe.  I was expecting newbie mistakes;  what I saw was a pro doing God's work.

It is a testament to PRACTICE.

Who's next?
FOGHORN

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2022, 08:21:40 PM »
 ;D

I would love to be next, but I'll let Jody put me through the paces before I'll let you get to me... :notes:

Offline Sporran

• 1st.LT
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2022, 02:06:46 AM »
It's amazing the amount of time spent by members to help each other.
Hat's off to FH and amazing videos Jody! You're the king of these.  :vprules:

+1 Outstanding

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2022, 04:04:39 AM »
Foghorn, it's so great to have you here. I think I can speak for all of by saying that we all try to emulate reality with our pits and BMS so it's great to have real feedback. It's far better to get your ass kicked than a polite atta boy. It's the fastest way to learn. To quote the teacher in "Whiplash" "No two words more harmful than 'good job'"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN_IzDeBdRM

Offline Korbi

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2022, 11:04:53 PM »
Awesome! Very interesting reply on that video as well, thank you Jody and Foghorn!
Best regards

Korbi
VJS 161 "Mad Bulls"

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
Awesome! Very interesting reply on that video as well, thank you Jody and Foghorn!

On a personal and serious note..  I always thought I could have been a fighter pilot but made the wrong steps growing up with my education to do so..  In the last two years since my Cockpit has been completed I have put all of my focus into trying to fly as realistic as possible.   From all the information I have received from Foghorn and other sources and the amount of work and confusion I am putting into it (and I know I am FAR from doing everything correct and realistic) I am 100% convinced that I would have never made it through training.  It is unbelievable how complex it is in real life VS simming.  lol   So working with @Foghorn has been an enlightening experience and I have a whole new respect for guys like Foghorn and others who do this for real.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline jjbravo

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2022, 03:42:45 PM »
I totally agree. I wasn't able to try out being a F-16 pilot because of my vision, but I would probably not have made it very far anyway.
Taking my private pilot license was one of the hardest tests I have taken to date, I can't imagine the tests they have to take :D

I remember my first flights with my instructor, I was so overwhelmed just flying the plane that I never heard the radio messages from the tower or flight following... ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal