There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by Atlas
[May 16, 2024, 12:43:47 PM]

Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[May 11, 2024, 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

Author Topic: Partial Pit Advise  (Read 1929 times)

Offline MailMan

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • 20th VFW
    • Awards
Partial Pit Advise
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:00:05 AM »
Hello there Viper Pilots.  I know that these questions have been asked a million times, but I have to ask anyways.  I am building a partial pit due to lack of space and funds preparing for retirement.    Let me explain how my pit will be, then I will ask the stupid questions.  I already have working MFD's and several monitors that I extract all the gauges and instruments to via MFD Extractor Utility.  I use a Logitech G-13 as my ICP and modded it so it actually looks a little like an ICP.  I have a modded Cougar with the throttle hall sensors, and an FCC3 stick.  So, now I want functional switches and knobs.  I spent the money and just ordered a full set of panels from Mike.  I was going to attempt making them, but it is just too much work for me right now, and I really don't have the patience for it.  Mike's panels have a great reputation.  So, I believe what ever he produces will look much better than the mess I would create.  Thanks Mike for saving me from total humiliation  :)
I have read all I can handle on this forum, BMS forum, and every other place I found links too.  And I have two new bald spots from scratching my head.  What I really would like to know is what is the easiest, least expensive current way to get all the switches, knobs, and back lighting interfaced with the PC and BMS.  I am talking about hardware and software.  I am not putting in any gauges or instruments.  I am going to continue extracting that stuff for the time being.  So, anything that lights up on the panels, or components that needs to send a command is what I am looking for.
Also, since I am using Mikes panels, a link to the best site(s) for switches, knobs that fit his panels would be great.

Sorry if these questions are redundant, but there is so much on this forum that is posted over the years, it's hard to determine what is the most current stuff.
Thank you.

JJ

Re: Partial Pit Advise
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
Hi Mailman,  welcome at VP :)

What you ask is not easy to answer. It depends on many thoughts. How real do you want to built your pit. You bought the panels from Mike, so you are going for replica. In those panels you can make 2 choices : Replica switches and rotaries (Use lightning switch list) or just functional (Doesn't look real, can be bought in all electronic stores).

For connecting everything i advise XKEYS together with AIC ( Not the most cheapest way, but its plug and play )

Hope i helped a little bit. Please post pics, we all like to watch progress.

good luck
JJ

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »
I too just received Mike's panel set and am getting ready to order my center group items from him...and I am also planning for rapidly approaching retirement - so at present I'm looking to keep things in a "kitted" stage until I get moved and settled.  Then I plan to build a complete/full cockpit tub.  Mike's panels are top notch - you will be pleased with them!  Backlighting the panels will require some modification, and there is a whole category in the forum on the subject...do some reading there.  Lots of really good ideas.

I'll have to second that the X-Keys Matrix boards are the easiest and least expensive way to go.  But because my eventual aim is to build a full cockpit tub I'm looking to use Arduino boards to get some increased control/functionality.  The biggest drawback of the X-Keys matrix boards for me is that they only employ switch inputs to make digital outputs - no analog input or output to drive LEDs, for example.  Using Arduino boards will also allow me to use R/C aircraft servos to drive gauge type instruments.  I've found some linear output micro servos that are only $17 each that won't even require me to modify them for that purpose - and I also think I can power them directly from the 5 VDC USB source available on the Arduino.

But an idea I got short of building a full cockpit can be based on this "sim light" idea of Pegasus -

http://www.xflight.de/pe_sim_sml.htm

Mike also offers pre-cut aluminum sheet left/right and L/R Aux console parts that his panel set items will bolt to without using DZUS fasteners.   With a little bit of modification of Martin's plans those could be incorporated into his "sim light" idea and give you a seating arrangement with the proper geometry of an actual cockpit without building an ACES II replica and full tub very cheaply.  I found you can cut two "sim lights" from a single 4' x 8' sheet of plywood.  I was planning to do this as a sort of "breadboard" for my own building efforts at one point, but doing so may end up being a bit redundant for me.

A bit deeper is interfacing LEDs for Warning lights, etc. - I've been looking over some items used in arcade games, and this LED controller looks interesting -

http://www.ultimarc.com/pacled64.html

It's cheaper than the Phidgets one, and has more outputs.  But I still have some research to do on how to actually use it yet.

As you get into this you will probably find your ideas and desires evolve...have fun, and as always - post pictures!
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »
Regarding the choice of hardware to control all switches, lamps, and maybe more ...
I say only one word: "PHCC".
It is mostly DIY electronics, but it is not complex, no rocket science here!
But the cheap electronics comes at a price: there is no software (yet!) ... Ghost is working on something.
Maybe there are other VP members who have PHCC boards they want to sell, ask ...

A short summary of what you definitely need:
- Motherboard. It supports the following interfaces:
   * The connection to the so-called "daughterboards" (you need those)
   * 32 analog inputs (my calculation says you need 23 in the pit, I can be off by one or two).
   * More than plenty of interface sockets to connect switches.
- PHCCusb1
   This gives the Motherboard a USB interface instead of the (less reliable) RS-232 connection to the PC.
- KEY64D daughterboard
   You need several of these, but can be made yourself, because one KEY64D board only has one IC (74LS138)
   and 64 "famous" anti-ghosting diodes. As the name suggests, you can connect up to 64 switches to one KEY64D.
   I know that Ghost's software (when it becomes available) will support so-called rotary encoders.
   My calculation counts some 280 digital inputs (for switches), but while you are at it build for 320 inputs!
   So, you need only 5 connection headers on the Motherboard.
- 40DO daughterboard
   This board gives to 40 buffered digital outputs to control LEDs, lamps, coils of the magnetically held switch, etc.
   The outputs are grouped by 8 (because of the driver IC) and thus you can have a different power supply voltage
   per 8 outputs. Think of 5 Volt for LEDs, 28 Volts for lamps, and some 15 Volts for coils. Dimming hardware can be
   connected, so dimmable LEDs / lamps is possible as well. My count is some 110 outputs, but having 20 spare is
   probably no luxury ...
- Stepper / aircore daughterboard
   To drive the "steam engines" (OIL, NOZZLE, FTIT, RMP and HYD PRESS etc.) you can use small stepper motors
   or so-called aircores. This daughterboard supports 4 motors, the type of motor is defined by the firmware.
   Note that you cannot mix stepper and aircore on a single daughterboard!
-  7-segment display daughterboard
   Personally, I think this board is only useful IF you have 7-segment displays in the pit. Those displays are not
   used in the real F-16. However, you may find it a solution for the Digitrans on the AUX COMM panel. One remark
   here is that the outputs are multiplexed. This means that the output is not ON continuously, but just a short
   moment. For this reason it is essential to use "high brightness" or "high-efficiency" displays. Also note that
   instead of a display you can connect 8 separate LEDs. Final remark: you cannot dim the light intensity.
   Consider using a few 40DO boards instead of the 7-segment board if you are not planning to use 7-segment
   displays ...

My numbers are based on a full pit, with the intention to control everything. Depending on what you want to
build, and how much you want to have "working" you need less or maybe even more I/O hardware ...
Last advice: make summary sheets, and try to make a good inventory of every connection needed for each panel.
I did that, and it is a great help. I have posted a preliminary version in my build thread, and at this moment I
have a newer updated version. If you want it, let me know, and I will post it here!
Search PHCC here on Viperpits, and google for it  :whistle:

:reading:  that's the key!

- Henk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:47:02 PM by henkie »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal