DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by Jakkuh-15
[April 17, 2024, 09:36:07 AM]

Hello from the UK! by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 09, 2024, 01:19:26 PM]

Hi! From Turkiye by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:23 PM]

Hello from Greece by Foghorn
[April 09, 2024, 12:24:06 PM]

Author Topic: Hello from Norway!  (Read 2931 times)

Offline John Fredrik

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Hello from Norway!
« on: July 25, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »
Hello!

I have been reading this amazing forum for hours and I must say there are a lot of good work being done worldwide bulding this Viper pits. The word amazing have crossed my mine several times.

Found this forum just by luck for about a week ago googling the internet for F-16 simulators, I was searching for "ready to fly" options but as I have read in this forum some of the manufacturers offers not good quality for big bucks.
Maybe I will build one my self ? Is it possible ?
Many toughs start to invade my brain ;)..

Okey..I need to short a couple of things and I hope some here could answear me.

I have read several threads on this forum regarding tips, things to buy and so on, but I must say I am a bit scared starting a project like this.
Will I ever make it ?

I have a education in body work repair and paint soo I am not strange to work with any metal, and I am lucky to have a furniture maker in the family with a complete workshop for wood.

My questions are :
1. Is there any way to get prints,drawings with measurements for a pit?
2. Is there any good products to get regardign complete build kits or DIY`s, maybe just the pit without the panels?
3. I have seen many members in this forum making and selling parts but I have also read about many stop to sell and produce. Is there still things aviable for a guy like me?
4.In Norway we fly the F-16 Block 15 MLU and is there anybody in here build one like that, or are there big differences in the cockpit regarding the different Blocks made ?
5. budget, yea I am aware of the fact that they always is broken, but what can I expect in costs buliding one. I think that wil depend on how advance you would like it but I am thinking that it would have been cool to haave a pit with working MFD`s ,cauges and light in the panels.

I start with this and if anybody have tips please write, this is also if anybody can offer me parts that I could use in the build.

Thanks in advance and keep buliding!

Best Regards John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

JJ

Re: Hello from Norway!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »
Hi John,

Welcome on VP, some cal it here the Nuthouse  :biggrin:
You have to make a choice for what kind of pit you want to built. If you want a replica, it costs many time and many money  ::)
But there are a lot cheaper options. Woodwork in stead of replica steel parts is offcourse much cheaper. In fact you van find here on VP al kinds of pitbuildings.
The price of a complete pit will be (my guess) between 10.000 and 30.000 USD . How more real or extreme good replica how more expensive. But it's a hobby that will costs many years to complete.
A little info from me.  Good luck with building, and posts many pics, we all like that :)

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
Welcome ! ( and good luck ;)  )

1. Contact Jason ( Killn ) - just do a search for jasons plans and you'll find it. Also look at www.xflight.de - this is pretty much your f-16 bible..
2. Kukki has a pit for sale - it's a ripper, but built with the best of parts so expect a corresponding price. There are some commercial solutions but they are either dimensionally inaccurate, poor quality or very, very expensive.
3. Of course - many. Martin ( Pegasus ) and Arend ( white-eagle ) have some superb equipment, same with Rabbit and Dunk. But there are many others and some not on here.. Check the forum under commercial parts.. ebay can sometimes work, but F-16 items on ebay are rarer these days. There are usually subsititues available for a lot of items 
4.Sorry, no idea
5. The better you are with your hands, the more you will save.. I'm not so good with metal or wood... Most people say "measure twice, cut once"... I have to measure 200 times, and cut 10 times... At the moment I have gone back to the drawing board to do some CAD plans for a mini pit..
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Lemmi22

• Maj. General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »
Hello and welcome!

My personal experience, is that you won't regret it, once you have started such a project...

About the money-factor, it depends on your personal wishes.
As more detailed you want it, as more time consuming and / or money consuming your project will be.
Like others stated, if you have some skills in wood or metalworking, you can save some money, because you won't have to buy everything.

And if you do the pitbuilding as an hobby, it will take some time until you will make some progress. I formyself think that this is an advantage, because you can take your time to search all the items you need finally. So there will be no need to hurry in buying all the items at one month as example - and the costs won't be that high every month...
Of course, pitbuilding can (and will) be an expensive hobby, but if you can share the costs over a year or so, it is possible to do without hurting your bank account too much.

If you're patient, your project will be a great success!
Current status of my "Aces II"
and my cockpit at the attic:
http://viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=7500.0

Offline John Fredrik

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
Welcome ! ( and good luck ;)  )

1. Contact Jason ( Killn ) - just do a search for jasons plans and you'll find it. Also look at www.xflight.de - this is pretty much your f-16 bible..
2. Kukki has a pit for sale - it's a ripper, but built with the best of parts so expect a corresponding price. There are some commercial solutions but they are either dimensionally inaccurate, poor quality or very, very expensive.
3. Of course - many. Martin ( Pegasus ) and Arend ( white-eagle ) have some superb equipment, same with Rabbit and Dunk. But there are many others and some not on here.. Check the forum under commercial parts.. ebay can sometimes work, but F-16 items on ebay are rarer these days. There are usually subsititues available for a lot of items 
4.Sorry, no idea
5. The better you are with your hands, the more you will save.. I'm not so good with metal or wood... Most people say "measure twice, cut once"... I have to measure 200 times, and cut 10 times... At the moment I have gone back to the drawing board to do some CAD plans for a mini pit..

Taipan!
Thank you for taking youre time to write me an answer, I really appreciate it..
Hav already started to contact people to get help, It is fantastic how helpful people are in this community. :vprules:

Sitting here with a smile reading youre answear to number 5, that answer make my day. ;D

John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline John Fredrik

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
Hello and welcome!

My personal experience, is that you won't regret it, once you have started such a project...

About the money-factor, it depends on your personal wishes.
As more detailed you want it, as more time consuming and / or money consuming your project will be.
Like others stated, if you have some skills in wood or metalworking, you can save some money, because you won't have to buy everything.

And if you do the pitbuilding as an hobby, it will take some time until you will make some progress. I formyself think that this is an advantage, because you can take your time to search all the items you need finally. So there will be no need to hurry in buying all the items at one month as example - and the costs won't be that high every month...
Of course, pitbuilding can (and will) be an expensive hobby, but if you can share the costs over a year or so, it is possible to do without hurting your bank account too much.

If you're patient, your project will be a great success!

Lemmi22

Thank you for replying, appreciate it.
Many good advice you writing, I maybe have to hire you to be psycologist when the build is starting  :thumbsup:
I have been a bit afraid about the cost and time it will take but you are right that this will be something I can use several years to get right, that will also be more gentle to the bank account.
I am at this point refinishing a big house soo the plan is to gather as much information over the winter and then start to build the pit construction next year.

Regards from Norway
John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline chnil71

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
Hello and welcome.
Always nice to see a fellow scandinavian in here.

A tip is to see the build of the pit as a road itself. It's a very nice hobby and I'm not sure if my pit ever will be finished. But its really nice to build something and to have a goal for that build.

I started out with a really simple idea of a simple pit a year ago. In this time I haven't been building all the time. I'll have to wait for paychecks to arrive so I can take the next step. I have reevalueted many of the plans and parts that I have build.

But I love building the pit and read all info I can get hold of. I want to make the most of the pit myself but I understand that somethings you can't do by yourself.

Offline Guard_85

• 2nd. LT
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
Hello and welcome! :)

Seems like we are in the same boat  :beer:

Hvor i Norge er det du holder hus da?
Best regards, Guard.

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:17:58 PM »
Welcome aboard!  :thumbsup:

Offline chnil71

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:43 AM »
I'm not from Norge but South Sweden (Skåne).

Offline John Fredrik

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
Hello and welcome! :)

Seems like we are in the same boat  :beer:

Hvor i Norge er det du holder hus da?

Thanks!

I am a Trønder (Trondheim)  :thumbsup:

John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline John Fredrik

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:33 AM »
Welcome aboard!  :thumbsup:

Thank you  :beer:

John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline John Fredrik

• Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
Hello and welcome.
Always nice to see a fellow scandinavian in here.

A tip is to see the build of the pit as a road itself. It's a very nice hobby and I'm not sure if my pit ever will be finished. But its really nice to build something and to have a goal for that build.

I started out with a really simple idea of a simple pit a year ago. In this time I haven't been building all the time. I'll have to wait for paychecks to arrive so I can take the next step. I have reevalueted many of the plans and parts that I have build.

But I love building the pit and read all info I can get hold of. I want to make the most of the pit myself but I understand that somethings you can't do by yourself.

Yeah we Scandinavians must stay together ;)
I do not think it is realistic for me to start building at this moment.
A good plan is always something to to hold on to , but I have understand that the plan can or will be rearranged during building.
The first thing to do is plan every consol by it self, what do I need and so on..
Have hope to start building next year.

Thanks for replying!

John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline Guard_85

• 2nd. LT
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
Thanks!

I am a Trønder (Trondheim)  :thumbsup:

John Fredrik

Allright! Not too far away from where I live, Im from Rognan (Alt for Rognan, sant?).
Take it you hold with the 338 sq then? ;)
Have been two times at Bodø Main Airstation getting a tour and tested the MLU sim.

Seems like we are at the same point of the build too, currently just been planning and checking out a lot of things and solutions. :reading:
Guess the actual work wont start next year I guess.
Best regards, Guard.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal