* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 105
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Hello from Las Vegas, NV  (Read 1379 times)

jpatti

Hello from Las Vegas, NV
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
Hello all, glad to join in and be part of this addiction!  I've always been interested in flight, and used flight sims on and off over the years.  With a recent Red Bull Air Race happening and X-Plane 11's release, the bug bit me again and I picked up a new dedicated flight sim PC from xforcepc.com.

My gf's son had a taste of a flight sim when we took him to the Red Bull Air Races here in Vegas.  The competition was cancelled due to high wind, but there was someone with a motion flight simulator on the concourse.  We waited over an hour (totally worth it) and he loved every minute of it which helped renew my interest. 

So, I start digging around again on flight sims and found X-Plane 11 was coming soon.  This led me to picking up the new PC as my 2010 Macbook Pro definitely wasn't cutting it with X-Plane 10. 

Shortly after the new PC showed up, and while on vacation in Cali, we found flightdeck1.com and had a blast.  I took note of the sim software they used (BMS Falcon 4.33), found it and got it up and running, along with DCS World 2.0.

Then, while researching how the hell to actually fly these two sims and learn about the planes, their avionics and weapons systems, I found the Thrustmaster MFDs and the replica HOTAS setups, along with all the sim pits you guys have built.  Just got the MFDs in a week or so ago, and won an ebay auction for a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar today. 

Now, the next (il)logical step in my new found addiction is attempting to build as complete of a working F-16 sim cockpit as possible.  I don't know electronics all that well and my carpentry skills are completely subpar.  That being said, I have some friends that are great in those areas who I intend to bug as much as they allow, and intend to learn as much as possible along the way.

I'm here trying to find as much information as possible regarding where to find all the necessary components to do this.  Feels a little overwhelming as a lot of potential leads seem to end up in dead ends.  Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks and looking forward to participating on this board, though I'm sure I'll be taking more than I'll be able to give since I'm completely new to this!

And if you ever find yourself in Vegas, let me know...

JP

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Hello from Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »
Welcome to the madhouse, JP...if I should wander over that way I'll try and shout a heads up... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:50:18 AM »
Welcome aboard JP! Although having skills is always a plus, it's not the big factor. You'll sooner or later find out that real life affects everything we do here, and time is an enemy. I'm still trying to find a formula to pause time, even read some of Stephen Hawkings' books, but can't seem to solve the equations...  :harhar:
Anyway, joining Viperpits is the best thing you could do. We all have questions, and we all give answers when we can. Note that one of the "requirements" is pictures; we all want to see pictures! The more the better. So keep that in mind while building your rig.
 :vprules:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 02:31:06 AM »
A warm welcome!
My advice is that you take 2 to 3 months reading this forum ...
Then decide *what* you want to build. Sure, a full pit is nice, but do not expect to have it finished within 5 years. This hobby eats time!  The more you read, the more you will see that many possibilities exist. Whether that is building the pit, whether you use real parts or "replica parts", how switches and lights, etc. are wired and to what they are connected.
For almost *everything* you have options and need to decide what to choose. But that choice may have some influence on what's next - or is *not* possible next ...
If you got lucky in Vegas (won the jackpot) you may take a look at Martin's ("pegasus") great stuff. He has virtually all the metal parts to construct a pit, so not many skills would be necessary to build the construction. If your wallet is not that "deep" you will have to pick up some skills, but leaning by doing is fun and it can make you proud saying "*I* made that!". Or make sure that our friends with skills don't turn thirsty  :harhar:
Anyway, you're here among friends who share the same passion!
Greetz,
Henk

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:00:47 AM »
Wecome JP!
You found the right place for your project 👍🏻
I concur all Henkie wrote.
Make a hood plan and take it strp by step
You will change your mind many times on your way that is gor
Sure, and you will learn many new skills
Surf whis forum and make a plan
Welcome my friend and im sure we will meet some day
We travel to USA as much we can 👍🏻
Welcome JP

Kukki

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
Welcome JP

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline Boomer

• LT. General
    • http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/jimhinkle/boomer/bb1.jpg
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:00:01 PM »
Welcome JP!!!  There's A TON of resources here and PLENTY of people that are willing to help.  I agree with Henkie, read read read!  You can do everything from a desk setup to cockpits that'll make Lockheed Martin jealous!!!! lol
Democracy is two wolves voting on what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:53:48 AM »
Welcome. Don't feel bad about not having any skills to build a sim. Neither did I. It is a learning process and quite a few mistakes will be made. If you have the money to spend, then mistakes can be corrected. Good luck and read all you can in here.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-key

Offline Boomer

• LT. General
    • http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/jimhinkle/boomer/bb1.jpg
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
JP, I've been here for a long time.  I've started building different parts of my pit 3 different times and it didn't turn out like I had hoped.  I was comparing myself and my "building skills" to some of the guys on here.  I've now learned that I have terrible buildings skills, no electronic experience and couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag! That being said, it's my passion for flight and the love I have for the F-16 that keeps me here and keeps my trying.  Soon, I'll be working on REV 4 (final version no matter what).  I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have a "crappy" pit that works, VS. nothing at all. 

Jim
Democracy is two wolves voting on what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal