Hello from Canada by Wolverine
[Today at 06:29:30 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Customizing Default Point of View in BMS by Sneakpeek
[April 17, 2024, 11:53:20 PM]

Author Topic: So glad to be here.  (Read 2051 times)

Offline GrzelakJ99

• 2nd. LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
So glad to be here.
« on: December 16, 2023, 08:17:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

Man I can't tell how happy I am to be here. I am from New York City, an Army Vet (2ID Hooah) and always loved the Viper. I will say that the A10 was the angel on our shoulder many times, but that still didn't take away my love for the Viper. l got hooked on DCS over the past couple years and just went nuts. I even got my daughter hooked, which turned out to be a blessing. Believe it or not my "ridiculous hobby (my wife's words)"  inspired my teenage daughter to look into the army's high school to flight school programs and the Airforce. My daughter and I started small , with a basic setup but just got hooked and wanted more. I went from a desk and chair with basic Hotas setup, to a Dof P6 with some extra bells and whistles. The thing was it just wasn't right. I wanted something different. I wanted to build. My daughter said one day, " dad we need to step our game up, and showed me photos from red dog.  I started asking around and reading forums and that's when I found VIPERPITS. My daughter would text me every 30 minutes and say " did we get in, did you get a email".   I hope to learn as much as I can and look forward to this block 50 project with my daughter. If anyone has a recommendation for plans for block 50 , please I'm all ears.

Jimmy

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: So glad to be here.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 08:25:07 PM »
Welcome...you're in the right place... :thumbsup: .

These seem to be the hot ticket right now, as far as a tub goes -

Plans -

https://invictuscockpits.com/products/f-16-cockpit-plans

Or a kit, ready to build -

https://invictuscockpits.com/products/f-16c-cockpit-frame-flat-kit

Up to you to fit it out as the Block you want - I'm working on a Block 50/52 myself.
- Rufus

Offline GrzelakJ99

• 2nd. LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 08:50:46 PM »
 Thank you so much Rufus. I will check them out now. Ha, my daughter just walked up with her laptop . She beat me to the link you sent. Man my wife was giving me shit before, can't wait to see what this brings. haha. Look forward to seeing your build and thank you.

Jimmy

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 09:05:19 PM »
Welcome, Jimmy and TYFYS pal. Anything you need, ask.

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 09:06:44 PM »
Get your daughter in here

Offline GrzelakJ99

• 2nd. LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 10:01:47 PM »
Thank you Nigel. Appreciate the warm welcome . We are laughing over here because my daughter just saw BMS in your post and is loving it. To be honest, we have been going back and forth about DCS and BMS. I would be lying if I didn't say I was the one who was fighting back refusing to switch. I believe Sir, you just made her day. lol. A lot of shit talking going on over here. She said,  "I prefer pretty tree's rather than a true FCR" lol

He does Nigel

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 11:28:31 PM »
Welcome aboard Jimmy! Wish my kids had the same virus your daughter has, but hey, can't have it all our way.. Anyway, you're in the right place, and you'll find out that there's plenty of experienced fellas within these premises to aid you in building. Over the years things can only get better concerning our hobby, and you'll discover that sub-systems development is pretty advanced. Lots of options for pits interfaced to BMS or DCS, or even supporting both. :thumbsup:

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 12:56:43 AM »

Thank you so much Rufus. I will check them out now. Ha, my daughter just walked up with her laptop . She beat me to the link you sent. Man my wife was giving me shit before, can't wait to see what this brings. haha. Look forward to seeing your build and thank you.

Jimmy

With your daughter on your wing, I'm certain you will be well defended... :clap: !
- Rufus

Offline GrzelakJ99

• 2nd. LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 02:01:28 AM »
Thank you salaxi54. Excited to be here and  ready to learn.

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 04:11:58 AM »
Hello everyone,
  ... My daughter said one day, " dad we need to step our game up, and showed me photos from red dog.  ...
Jimmy

That's a lovely story :)
Please apologise for me, us -  to your wife

Welcome to the nut house Jimmy
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • https://f16simulator.net
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 04:30:01 AM »
Here's a big welcome to you and your daughter, Jimmy!
 :yihaw: :yihaw: :yihaw:

Fantastic story :-)
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
https://f16simulator.net

Offline KK

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 12:43:37 PM »
Welcome Jimmy!
I guess you are about the first person from NYC that is interested in pit building.
In April I spent 10 days with my family in the big Apple.
My favourite place is of course on deck of the USS Intrepid.
Pretty easy to guess why.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »
Welcome both of you!

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 01:24:12 PM »
That´s the nut house... welcome and keep an eye on your bucks  :flipacoin:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2023, 03:09:06 PM »
A warm welcome to the team  ;D

Take time to read through some of the build threads here  :reading:
Lots of valuable advise, which may prevent making choices you may regret later.
Especially if they have cost money ... saves a few explanations to your wife  ;D

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2023, 02:27:38 AM »
Welcome to VP to you and your daughter. It is great if you can make this a family or a father-daughter project.

I miss the time when my kids were still little. The daughter or one of her school friends would sit in the sim (in progres)  chasing MIG's in ALLIED FORCE. Come to think of it, she has more "flight tim" in the sim than I have  :harhar:. My son would help out with all kinds of small work on the pit. Now both are in university and have no interest in dad's hobby, although ocasionally I can ask my son to print something for the pit on his 3D printer.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 02:41:19 AM by tiger-31 »

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2023, 02:40:23 AM »
If you can, look for items produced by Martin @Pegasus. They are not cheap, but are made to high spec, very acurate and save a lot of building time. Someties you can find parts available the US in our classifieds section.

Offline GrzelakJ99

• 2nd. LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2023, 10:57:31 PM »
Thank you guys for an amazing welcome. Its amazing how much information I was missing out on. Its been like information overload in 24hrs. (love it) Appreciate all the links for products and advice.

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 01:41:51 PM »
Welcome to the crazy train, from Tampa, FL
FOGHORN

Offline Boomer

• LT. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/jimhinkle/boomer/bb1.jpg
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2023, 10:31:32 PM »
Well, you found a home here!!!
Democracy is two wolves voting on what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal