There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by Rufus
[April 28, 2024, 04:56:21 PM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: Hello from the UK!  (Read 975 times)

Offline ChrispyBiscuit99

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
Hello from the UK!
« on: April 02, 2024, 02:50:39 PM »
Good evening all from Milton Keynes in the UK! I've just started on my first adventure into building a Viper cockpit (or any other cockpit for that matter)....

This thing is a massive learning curve for me as I don't even know how to solder (as yet) and know very little about electronics! I've been into Flight Simulators since the original Flight Sim came out on the PC back in the early 80's (I'm 52 now)!

Back in January I purchased this cockpit off eBay:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Literally a week later, I saw this 90% built structure on eBay again, which I just had to have! It's been built from Tejay's plans, who's based in the USA:

I thought it would be reasonably easy to transfer all the gauges, switches, panels, etc to the cockpit, but the more I learn on this fantastic forum the more overwhelmed I feel, lol!

There's a massive amount of research needed, but thankfully there's this fantastic forum where it looks like most of the thousands of questions have already been answered somewhere or other, which is amazing. I've already started 3D printing out parts for the ACES II seat, spraying them and weathering them, etc. I can't wait to start on the main panels. Cheers Chris

Offline ChrispyBiscuit99

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
Re: Hello from the UK!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 02:51:33 PM »
Oooops, wrong 1st picture!

Hopefully here it is now:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 02:39:19 PM by Sandman »

Offline Atlas

• General
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 03:43:32 PM »
Welcome!

Unfortunately, I don't think the "first" picture is a correct implementation of an F-16 cockpit.  Looks like a lot of things may have been squished together and while maintaining the same "location," it does not have to correct dimensions/spacing.

Like yourself, I've not had much soldering experience until I started, but I'm quite confident with it now.  We all learn new skills for this hobby!

On the pictures of your first post, it looks like there are no holes cut out on the side console surface for the panels?

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 01:05:03 AM »
Welcome to VP,

You made a good start by getting a more or less ready to use structure. Saves lots of drawing/printng/sawing and building time :thumbsup:

Perhaps put some more detailed pictures, of your "first purchase" or provide some more details of what is in it to see what it is made of and how accurate (or not) it is.  I also concur it does not look that accurate. But all depends on what you want it to look like.

Offline ChrispyBiscuit99

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 02:18:18 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome gents, it's much appreciated.  :Thumbs Up:

Around the first purchase, I'm under no illusion that this won't be an accurate scale 1:1 representation of the F-16, I've already resigned myself to that fact. However, I would like to build a well "used" version and the majority of the panels that came with the cockpit will be fine to transfer into the structure. I'll need to superimpose them on to the left/right consoles and auxiliary consoles and work out where they best fit. I'll then cut out the holes accordingly.

I have a WinWing throttle, stick and rudder pedals on order, together with a new ICP and DED from Simgears. I'm currently doing lots of research around what's available out there to try and get most of the rest of the screens and gauges working. For instance, I've been looking at the round 2.8inch LCD screens from AliExpress to power the screens on the centre pedestal, RWR, etc.

I'll be running a VR setup, but would still like to try and make most things function if I can, just in case I want to transfer to using a curved screen at a later date.

Most of the work up to now has been spent on the seat:

Cheers, Chris

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 03:07:30 AM »
Nice going on that aces. By the way, rather than going the VR route, think of AR as an option. Lots of interesting stuff going on and still going to happen in that field. Screens and projectors are a lot of hassle.  :flipacoin:

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 03:59:19 AM »
Welcome and congratulations for the. your work.

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • https://f16simulator.net
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 04:35:10 AM »
Welcome to the nuthouse :-)
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
https://f16simulator.net

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 01:41:35 PM »
Welcome aboard, your start looks promising!

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 03:04:38 PM »
Welcome to our world- and nice work on your ACES II seat!

For most builders, the cockpit "tub" takes many hours of planning and construction. As you will find out, you may need to make minor adjustments to get everything to fit nicely as you add features- but great start.

The ACES II Ejection Seat is often the next major project- While it only needs to function as a  chair while you are sitting in your cockpit, many of us try to replicate the appearance and semi-reclining position of the real ejection seat.

From here, you will want to focus on the actual controls you will use for flying. The TQS (throttle) and SSC (side-stick control) should look & feel close to the real thing. Rudder pedals with toe brakes are nice, but not used as often. The flight instruments (gauges, displays) and panels (switches and indicators) finish off the consoles. Now it will really look like a cockpit.

Finally, you will face the wiring / interfacing decisions and the "outside world" displays. The latest trend is towards AR/VR, but many have used projectors or large screen video monitors.

Welcome to the adventure- we are all here to help you. Remember to post frequent progress reports & updates (with PHOTOS)

Offline ChrispyBiscuit99

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2024, 06:19:43 AM »
Hi Sandman, many thanks for the message and the warm welcome, it's very much appreciated.

This has opened up a whole new world for me, in terms of construction, design, detailing, electronics and planning. It's clear from the research I've done up to now that there's a LOT to think about. However, I'm always up for a new challenge and I love learning new skills along the way too.

It's clear that this fantastic forum provides a wealth of useful information covering all sorts of topics and I've posted some questions already and had some great answers.

I can't wait to get going properly, but I'm currently awaiting delivery of an ICP, DED, left and right auxiliary panels, glareshield, WinWing throttle, stick and rudder pedals. Once I receive those I can start to make proper headway.

I'll post pics of progress as I go and I'm I'll have myriad questions on the way! :-)

Cheers

Chris

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 11:34:38 AM »
Welcome on board. You have already a really good base you can continue  :fineprint:  :cheerleader:

Offline ChrispyBiscuit99

• 1st.LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 12:45:33 PM »
Thank you Cupra, much appreciated :-)

Cheers

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service