* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 105
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: DCS F-16 Trailer  (Read 13933 times)

Offline STRIKER

• Captain
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • 421st Virtual Fighter Squadron
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
DCS F-16 Trailer
« on: July 26, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
DCS today released their first F-16 trailer. 

https://youtu.be/8QfANpD0GHY

Offline James R. Stern

• Col.
  • André Middeldorf
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: DCS F-16 Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »
So some decision Points have to be made in Pitbuilding - which way to go?
BMS or DCS?

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 07:03:32 PM »
BMS or DCS?

Why not both? They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 01:09:25 AM »
BMS or DCS?

Why not both? They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Yes why not both? Can some of the more experienced guys with both systems explain why it would not be possible?

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
I plan to fly both
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 11:21:21 AM »
Yes why not both? Can some of the more experienced guys with both systems explain why it would not be possible?

The issue is software. All the software is currently written to read Falcon Shared Memory.
We have two options, rewrite the software we use to add an abstraction layer where you choose which Sim you want to fly and read data from, or write a program that takes data from DCS and simulates the Falcon Shared Memory, so the software already written would think the DCS data is coming from Falcon. I don't know much about DCS and how it exposes data, but I think it's all written in LUA.

Offline Korbi

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:02 AM »
PS Cockpit does support bms and dcs.
Best regards

Korbi
VJS 161 "Mad Bulls"

Offline jjbravo

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »
PS Cockpit does support bms and dcs.
Is PS Cockpit open source?

Offline JCook

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
The issue is the software interface between our simpits hardware and the DCS API.
Everybody here has different hardware components from ViperCore, Pegasus, RealSimulatorWorld, Arduino, Pokeys, etc...

Falcon shared memory will have nothing to do with talking to DCS. New software will need to be written to work with the DCS API.
No reason a sim pit can't be "interfaced" to work with both BMS and DCS.

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »

No reason a sim pit can't be "interfaced" to work with both BMS and DCS.

exactly my thoughts...

Offline JCook

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Based on the DCS cockpit pictures I've seen there may be differences between the DCS and BMS panels for the Block 50 F16. A builder's simpit may match BMS panels and not DCS panels.

For example the BMS AVIONICS panel may be the version with 6 toggle switches and the DCS AVIONICS panel may have the 7 toggle switch version. Your simpit will be one or the other. In the case where the simpit uses the 6 switch AVIONICS panel - you'll need to use the mouse to turn on/off that missing 7th switch when flying in DCS.

Not a big deal.

Most of those types of incongruities are only an issue during startup or shutdown. As we know most tactical / in-flight work is done with the HOTAS and ICP.

In my opinion, The DCS F16 release is very good news for simpit builders and gives us all a second "world" to fly in - greatly increasing our simpit investment.

Offline Korbi

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »
Regarding the Avionics PWR, there would be no problem, as the Mapswitch is not wired in the F-16.
I think, you are right, in the end, its a F-16 B50, and there are differences in RL too.
Best regards

Korbi
VJS 161 "Mad Bulls"

Offline RightStuff

• 1st.LT
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 03:10:21 PM »
The issue is software. All the software is currently written to read Falcon Shared Memory.
We have two options, rewrite the software we use to add an abstraction layer where you choose which Sim you want to fly and read data from, or write a program that takes data from DCS and simulates the Falcon Shared Memory, so the software already written would think the DCS data is coming from Falcon. I don't know much about DCS and how it exposes data, but I think it's all written in LUA.

Indeed, DCS uses an export.lua for exporting lights and values for the instruments.
So, (for us) unfortunately a complete different approach to drive external hardware.

As a quasi-standard the Arduino-based "DCS-BIOS" is mainly used when it comes to interfacing:
http://dcs-bios.a10c.de/docs/v0.7.0/userguide.html
https://github.com/dcs-bios/dcs-bios

Our beloved Pokeys hardware is almost unknown over there. A buddy over there wrote an interface, but state is beta and he discontinued.

As I am not able write any interfacing software for the Pokeys, I tried find a kind soul to motivate him and convince him that a Pokeys has almost unlimited features, but I didn't had success.

Maybe it is kinda easy to interface it as this export.lua is obiously LUA and according to the programming examples on the Poscope-Webseite Pokeys can be driven directly by LUA:
https://www.poscope.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/Pokeys/Examples/LUA%20example%20script%20for%20Flight%20Simulator%20X.zip
No idea how to do that or if there will be an intermediate layer neccessary.
That's all beyond my payroll...

Another idea: As Helios is able to display exported data for both sims, a Phidgets card could be used for bringing light into the cockpit.
https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid=99&pcid=79&prodid=1024

Another hardware - Arkaze and it's LED-Driver - is just mentioned for the sake of completeness: There is interfacing software availbale for both sims, but the LED-Driverboard is discontinued and the firmware of the Arkaze hasn't seen an update for years...
https://arcaze.de/produkt/arcaze-usb-interface/

So, these are (in short) my finding from the last years flying and (trying to build) in both worlds... :)

Offline jjbravo

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »
I’ll look at how hard it would be to build dual support into F4ToPokeys.

John

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 05:17:54 PM »
I'm not trying to start a flame war here..  But..  I would think that anyone on this site putting the time, money, and effort into a sim wants the ultimate in realism.  Although DCS Viper looks good and fun, well it is still DCS.  They just don't have the realism and detail put into their avionics, FM ATC, etc and let's not forget the dynamic campaign.  So although it is 100% great to have options, I seriously doubt guys here will be switching to DCS or worrying about it too much longer.  So for sure having DCS support for our devices is a good goal, but I am certain BMS will be in our machines.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal