Archives > Sy's F16 Cockpit Plans / Stencils 2015

Symulate Cockpit Plans

(1/12) > >>

Symulate:
Hello all,

In the next few days I aim to release the first two modules of the cockpit plans.  These will be the centre pedestal and the LHS and RHS instrument panels.  These have been ready for a while but I have been in discussion with the admins as to the best way to make these available.

I have made it clear to a number of people who have contacted me along the way that the work I have been doing will take the form of two different threads.  The first will be a solid model, freely available to anyone that I will keep up to date and which will act as a reference to anyone who wants to construct using their own methodology.  This is currently available in the downloads section.  The second thread will be based on this initial solid model but will be a detailed set of plans/stencils that, in theory, will allow the user to stick the stencils onto board material (MDF or PLY) and then trim and fix together to create an accurate platform.  This second thread will be produced with the aim that only simple 2D cuts are required thus making it easy to manufacture at home with limited tools but equally suitable for CNC machining if required.  As this second thread is a considerable undertaking that as well as time involves a lot of my own design IP, it was always intended for the full plans to be a commercial offering.

A very small minority of people, who when they found out that there would be a commercial aspect to this, didn't want to provide information that I had requested.  I fully respect them for this.  Equally, I have had numerous people who have asked for the plans on a regular basis, offering to pay each time, so I can also see that there is an appetite for what I am doing even if there may be a cost associated with this.   Finally, the admins themselves, from our previous discussion have also wrestled with both sides of this venture.  Again, I fully respect that.

Before I make the plans available I wanted to make a number of things clear.  To get things this far the only dimensional help I have received, other than "freeware" sources, on this forum and elsewhere, has been from Mike (Ka-Bar03) in the form of his viperpanels offering.  This source alone has allowed me to make the full solid model and consequent platform plans.  I made it clear from the start to Mike that I planned this to be a commercial venture and he was fully supportive of this.  Hopefully he will offer his thoughts in due course here for reference.  With this in mind I feel justified in offering these plans on a commercial basis but am happy to have feedback from the wider community in the meantime.

Secondly I value a frank discussion on pricing.  I am hoping to have two tiers of plans available.  The first is a .pdf set with the aim being that the user can print and fix to board and cut accordingly.  The second is a .dxf set which could be CNC'd as required.  As the second tier leaves me more open to abuse it would be priced slightly higher.  In total I envisage there being four modules available.

(1)  Centre Pedestal and HUD Box
(2)  LHS / RHS Instrument Panels and Floor
(3)  LHS Console
(4)  RHS Console

From a pricing point of view I am currently consider £25 per module for the .pdf plan set and £35 per module for .dxf set.  I consider this to be reasonable but again value your feedback.

Finally I would add that I am not here to make a quick buck and disappear.  I will stand by the plans and if there are glaring issues make every effort to fix them accordingly.  I will also continue to support the solid model in the downloads section as well.  I believe this model alone, in conjunction with the build manuals which I have also made freely available, is already enough that the average user could construct a platform without the need to purchase anything.  As such I hope people will realise that I am trying to service both ends of the community.

I hope people will see that I have tried to be as up front and honest about this venture from the beginning, with Mike, the Admins, and now the wider community.  With this in mind I will hold back from releasing anything further until I hear what people have to say.

Thanks,
Sy

tiger-31:
@Symulate

For many years people have been begging, nagging, cursing.... to be able to buy the plans that are now no longer available. These plans mind you were not cheap.

I never bought these plans so I can not judge price quality.

Then efforts were made to make "community plans" freely available to all members. Unfortunately that project, although well intended did not really fly, and seemed to take forever.

You spend a lot of time making your different versions of the plans (admittedly with some help of others), and succeeded where others could not manage, and finished the plans. Reading the prices you are suggesting for the plans I do not feel these are unreasonable. Especially not compared to what I "heard" the older plans costed. Furthermore you are also offering a solid model set that is free, but that with some effort can be adapted.

So basically people have a choice. A ready made plans set, at a modest cost, or a free set requiring some own work. Who can complain about this?

Of course this is just my opinion.   

CobaltUK:
Totally agree with Tiger-31. As for the 2Tier pricing well I wonder if the higher price (that could yet be higher ultimately after full costings) might perhaps include both versions ? rather like some high end audio media include an mp3  or some such as part of the deal. If not then perhaps a discount for both. Just a thought.

Symulate:
Hey,

Tier2 would include both .dxf and .pdf formats.

Thanks,
Sy

henkie:
Hi @Symulate

I am building my pit completely with my own ideas ... if you were around one year earlier, I would followed your plans, no doubt about that  :thumbsup:
So I am just a reader at the side line, but let me tell you that your pricing is VERY competitive. From what I understand, the no longer available plans were 3x ... 4x your asking figures!  I cannot say what the level of completeness was, nor its quality. Older members may have a better formed opinion about that.

It is a pity that the old plans are no longer available, that would have been good for continuity. You are offering that continuity and that alone is already worth something  :clap:

Maybe I could offer some electronic designs for a few $$ (or ££), but the amount of work that goes with the support is (to me) not worth all the extra work. So, I make my designs available, and write a manual to get guys started. Yes, I will do support, but as it is free and the designs are free, I have less feelings about being obliged to an immediate response  :whistle:

I still feel strongly that this community is full of people that want to do "good things". And most of them earn a lot of karma for the "next life" whereever that might be. Some guys have skills that are no good for pit building, but probably very good for something else. Together we can make the "pit building dream" real for all active VP builders.

I feel there is much more to say, but it basically comes down to  :clap: @Symulate
 :vprules:
- Henk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version