* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: 4.35 released: what does it changes for us:  (Read 12763 times)

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
Re: 4.35 released: what does it changes for us:
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 08:20:28 AM »
Indeed @Rufus   ;D
From the beginning, I have wired every switch position in my pit, also all the switches that are non-functional, so I am ready ... But I plan to re-wire my pit anyway  :whistle:
Moving away from a swicth scan matrix, just too much hassle for saving on wiring.

A BIG THANK YOU to the BMS team  :clap: :hail:
 :vprules:

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 09:24:34 AM »
Red Dog, Kukki, Chris Link, Rayman, Lightning, Creaseguard, and many others all told me in 2008 to wire up everything. I got itn a hurry and said "I'll come back and do it later" Yeah, right...I wish I had done it then.

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools GitHub repository
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
I'll be very interested in hearing if MFDE still works, because it is what I'm most familiar with... :whistle: .

Define "still works" :)  MFDE is extremely obsolete, and has been for many years now.  It dates back to 2007 and is built on antiquated 32-bit technology frameworks from the Windows 7 era like WinForms and non-hardware-accelerated 2D graphics technologies like GDI+.  It's now almost 2021.  MFDE was dead a long time ago, but it just somehow keeps refusing to stop breathing. Damned zombie code.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
I'll be very interested in hearing if MFDE still works, because it is what I'm most familiar with... :whistle: .

Define "still works" :)  MFDE is extremely obsolete, and has been for many years now.  It dates back to 2007 and is built on antiquated 32-bit technology frameworks from the Windows 7 era like WinForms and non-hardware-accelerated 2D graphics technologies like GDI+.  It's now almost 2021.  MFDE was dead a long time ago, but it just somehow keeps refusing to stop breathing. Damned zombie code.

I still use it and it works(ed) so I in no way consider it "dead".  I don't really care how "old" anything is as long as it functions and fills the intent it was invented for.

With the move to RTT (and all the other improvements) it sounds like adjustments will now need to be made...if MFDE still works, I'll probably still use it.  If it doesn't and I can get RTT to work (some are having issues, but I think it's just a learning curve) then I'll probably move to RTT.  I don't really care one way or the other, other than ease of operation.
- Rufus

Offline Nomad

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2020, 12:35:27 AM »
Well I spent all day trying to figure out the RTT extraction in BMS 4.35. If your not experienced with working with pixels and multiple displays, and ini files you will be challenged. Here is my outcome:
LT MFD all set up
RWR all set up however no ATD functions available.
RT MFD will not align correctly. Sets up Ok but when you launch BMS it goes to half size and realigns itself to to the right or left.
HUD set up. HUD is rotated 180 deg horizontal and cannot be rotated as it could be in MFDE. Changing display orientation in Windows doesn't make a difference.
There is no STBY ATT or center pedestal gauges in RTT.
MFDE and YAME will not launch in 4.35.

It appears we will not be able to extract STBY ATT, VVI, AOA, Mach Meter, ALT, Horizon,EHSI either if we can't get MFDE or Yame to work. A little disappointed.
Bell206/407 EuroEC135/EC145/BK117/AS350B3E/B2
F16/P51/Cessna172/177/182/206/210/310

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 12:52:03 AM »
I think I recall reading a post where someone said that MFDE still does appear to work, so that was encouraging.

From what I'm reading in the BMS forums people are struggling in getting RTT to work.  I've been looking over some of the BMS 4.35 documentation a bit today only to find it a nightmare in the amount of reading to be done...but it is very well done.  I think I'm going to standby a bit and re-start from complete scratch once I get my pit more in order.  I think...

One thing is for sure, if you have a lot of Martin's gear - AOA, VVI, EHSI, RWR, Indexers, DED - this transition is going to be far easier for a pit builder!
- Rufus

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • Callsign: Vino
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2020, 01:48:53 AM »
I don't see a big problem with RTT unless you are using MFDE for extractions which are not supported, then it's a bummer they took something away they didn't replace.

I only use it for MFDs, but I had it setup in minutes, just had to add the missing lines in the ini file for the left MFD. The ini file is pretty well documented. You don't need a server if you are only running one computer.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline jjbravo

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2020, 01:50:03 AM »
@Nomad
I don't see the rotation on the HUD extract...however I don't know your screen setup.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:16:08 AM by jjbravo »

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2020, 02:15:19 AM »
From what I'm reading in the BMS forums people are struggling in getting RTT to work.  I've been looking over some of the BMS 4.35 documentation a bit today only to find it a nightmare in the amount of reading to be done...but it is very well done. 

Thank you
believe me it was a nightmare writing it as well :)
The RTT stuff is in the technical manual.
Frankly is very simple to use and quite intuitive. I made the switch in less than 5 minutes by simply recopying the position value from the old 4.34 extractor. and off it went working

MFDE and YAME will not launch in 4.35.
It appears we will not be able to extract STBY ATT, VVI, AOA, Mach Meter, ALT, Horizon,EHSI either if we can't get MFDE or Yame to work. A little disappointed.

Yame is also working with BMS 4.35. I have used it during the whole development process of 4.35 for my CPD.
MFD would be the same. The only thing that may have been changed is the config options allowing these tools to read the shared mem being off by default rather than ON like before.
Basically you have to ensure that these values are outsourced for them to work.
The logic behind that decision is that the majority of user don't need that function which eats up a little ressource. And pit builder are more technically inclined than the rest of the crowd and would have no problem finding it back :)
A simple comparison between your config.ini (4.34 and 4.35) will probably point you to the config setting.
By the wa, that comparing advise is always a good thing to do upon a release of a new version, it can avoid you many head scratching.

The transition for me with AIC&X-keys was quite simple as well. No major hassle except if you don't have the new switch required (parking brake/anti skid and JFS start1&2)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:29:23 AM by Red Dog »
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Catcher

• Live fearless Live free
  • -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • Semper WiFi
  • VP Awards Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »
Great RD thx 8)

Some was prepared ages ago and a little extra wiring has to be done here.

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 12:25:08 PM »
A week ago I had a problem with my anti-ice backlighting, so I had to take the panel apart. Just before I was about to put it back in, the 4.35 went out. Luck me as I didn't wired it before.  :)

Asi

Offline Nomad

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2020, 04:30:25 PM »
JJ

With the always on top enabled, can you drag, drop, and resize your MFDs with your mouse?
I have a pit setup and run 6 pit screens 2 MFD, RWR, STDBY ATT, HUD, and CPD, and a main screen.

Nomad
Bell206/407 EuroEC135/EC145/BK117/AS350B3E/B2
F16/P51/Cessna172/177/182/206/210/310

Offline jjbravo

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
JJ

With the always on top enabled, can you drag, drop, and resize your MFDs with your mouse?
I have a pit setup and run 6 pit screens 2 MFD, RWR, STDBY ATT, HUD, and CPD, and a main screen.

Nomad
No you cannot unfortunately, it's a trial and error on the position, but like RD said, if you have the positions from your old MFDE config, they should translate into the same coordinates in RTT.

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
One more RTT issue - you may find that when you attempt to launch RTT Client or Server that it will fail for missing .dll files.  After a lot of Googling and trying many things that didn't work, I finally discovered one needs to install this updated 2015-2019 Visual C++ distro -

https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe

And you have to uninstall any previous 2015 distro you may have currently installed, first.  After I did this I finally got both RTT Client and Server to launch...not that I know anything about what to do with them, but I got them to actually launch... :brickwall: ...finally.
- Rufus

Offline jjbravo

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2020, 06:42:06 PM »
@Rufus
You only need the server if your displays are attached to another computer.
If you run one computer with all screens attached you only need the RTT Client. If you look in the Client.ini file, the settings are very well documented.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal