* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by Sandman
[May 04, 2024, 07:54:13 PM]

Author Topic: Checking in from Canada  (Read 12350 times)

Offline Raven

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Checking in from Canada
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »
Hi everyone. I want to first express how impressed I am by the quality of the work and the ingenuity shown by nearly everyone here on the forum. Combine this with a level of cooperation and genuine interest and willingness to help others, and you have my reason for wanting to join the forum and share in the common interest.

Now comes the bad news?.I?m not building an F-16 pit! I?ve started out building a pit for one of the more obscure aircraft for most people on this forum which is a Cf-101B Voodoo! My father was in the airforce and I spent 9 years growing up around these noisy beasts and developed a soft spot for them.

I?ve recently had the good fortune to acquire all of the cockpit interior for a Voodoo ( ejection seat, rudder pedal assy, full instrument panel, stick, throttles, all instruments and all avionics as well as a canopy) and I?m now beginning to construct a mock up for the pit while reverse engineering and pinning out the wiring for the various components. I?m a pilot and an aircraft maintenance engineer by trade so working with the power used in the older cockpits is not unusual, but where I will need help is with the interfacing to the computer.

I haven?t decided what program to run yet ( FS ----, X-Plane, etc.) nor the interface system although from all I?ve read, Opencockpits seems to be the preferred system especially for the older steam gauges.

I will eventually share pics and my progress on this wonderful project with you and I?ll happily answer questions and hopefully be able to share some of my mechanical and aviation knowledge with you as well.

I?m strapped in, visor is down and the brakes are released so let?s light the burners and start the adventure!!

Weaper

Re: Checking in from Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
Hi Raven,

Too cool!  I always loved the Voodoo.. :). As a kid I sort of grew up around them to.  My friends Dad flew them and retired them.  So in his basement he had lots of Voodoo collectibles and stuff from his career in his basement and we use to check out that stuff all the time.

Look forward to your progress.  Good luck!

Jody

101-douxx

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
Like Jody is saying.... WAY COOL!!!!

I think I've never seen any all canadian cockpit project on Viperpits!!! The Voodoo is sure a great plane to built.
Welcome aboard!

Offline Lemmi22

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:54 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Can't wait to see pictures of your wonderfull project.
This sound awesome!!!!
Current status of my "Aces II"
and my cockpit at the attic:
http://viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=7500.0

Offline Cupra

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • 1st VFW "Glory Wings"
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
Hi :)

Okay, the Voodoo is not my favourite, but interesting projects are always welcome  :beer2:

Offline avn-tech

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Aviation, Military & Police Movie Props
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
Raven,

When I was in the US Air Force (the first time), we used an F-101 for Aircraft Battle Dammage training. Later I went into the US Army and was stationed at Edwards AFB working on flight test. As we flew out of the base there was an aircraft wrecking yard, that took me a while to locate. Once I located it, I found that it owned the very F-101, that I originally learned ABDR on.

Later that same wrecking yard purchased two F-111 and an A-10 that I had also worked on while I was in the Air Force. The F-101 is still sitting there but the F-111 and A-10's are gone. The F-101 was still there about 6 months ago when I went by after the owner had passed away.

The same wrecking yard made aviation news all over the world, when they purchased the first civilian F-16 & F-18 aircraft. There are lots of people who have since claimed to own these aircraft and even attempt to sell them. I always got a laugh going in and asking them when they sold them and getting the responce they were not sold. Then letting them know they nwere listed on ebay or barnstormers.

Laterrrrrrr
Avn-Tech

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal