collapse

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 3
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

No posts were found.

Author Topic: "Quincy" from New Hampshire USA  (Read 535 times)

Offline Quincy

• Major
  • Live Free or Die
    • Awards
"Quincy" from New Hampshire USA
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:21:34 PM »
Hello all Viper drivers! I’m thrilled to finally access this forum and soak up all your collective knowledge.

I have been flying the Airbus A-320 and A-321 for over twenty years with over 19 of them as Captain. But enough about that. How did I get here…

I am a long-time simulation enthusiast all the way back to the original MS Flight Simulator. Through all the updates, I continued to learn the craft. At one time, I was hoping to be an astronaut, because who wouldn’t? Then came the realization that few get to be one and my math scores were less than stellar.

So, I lowered my sights for a lower earth orbit. I was enamored with military aviation and thought that would be the route for me. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky ones with less than perfect vision, and at that time it was an instant disqualifier.

I did manage to get accepted into my first choice of aviation universities, and that shall remain nameless. And so began a career in civil aviation.

During school, I was also a senior member with the Civil Air Patrol, and at one time was a check airman. Between studies and CAP, I spent endless hours flying Falcon 4.0 and my favorite missions were ground attack with a special joy in CBUs and toss bombing.

After school, I was an instructor for several years, followed by dispatching for a Pt-121 carrier. Then flew single pilot freight with a glorious 13 hours of duty and 8 legs per night for 7:30 flight time and no autopilot. Ah, those were the days. But the ones that honed my skills the most. This was followed by years of slogging in the venerable SAAB 340. Then I made the big time and have been flying that A-320 series since. It's a plane that I love and can’t believe I have flown it for so long.

I didn’t give flight simulation much thought for a while as I was involved in other things, including raising two kids. As they have grown older, I have gained a lot more time for myself. But outside influences had steered be back to my simulation roots.

I was conned into DCS by a coworker and the fact they had what is the sexiest jet ever designed; the F-16. He is a Hornet driver, but we won't hold that against him. Well... maybe.

Since the second time I was bitten by the snake, I have gone all in on designing a functional but flexible sim pit that could be adapted to many aircraft. The pit works great and is highly enjoyable. It keeps my mind active and gives me something to look forward to. But once you think your sim pit is done, it really isn’t. I have learned that is NEVER done. And down the rabbit hole I go.

My current pit is made up of a modified racing pit by Next Level Racing, a Viper stick by RealSimulator, Viper throttle by Winwing, a fantastic ICP by Sim Gears, Cougar MFDs adapted to LCD displays using Helios, TrackIR and a 55" LG OLED monitor. But the evolution is once again about to take a major turn into a dedicated and proper Viper pit.

I am about to begin construction on a Cockpit Shop Viper pit design. I look forward to all your help and resources in getting this pit up and fighting. I will continue to fly in 2D and very much look forward to AR becoming more mainstream, as I believe this would be the best of both worlds when flying a scale and proper replica pit.

Regards,

“Q”

Offline MaVoy

• Captain
  • BMS -> DCS -> DIY
    • Awards
Re: "Quincy" from New Hampshire USA
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:37:09 PM »
Hi Quincy, welcome aboard :)
Let the journey begin  :outthewindow: :vprules:
Sometime, when I have a bad day at work, I'd close all the windows on my PC and gaze on the wallpaper with the Viper going on full AB thru the sky.

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:22:56 AM »
Welcome!

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Online salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
Welcome aboard

Offline Foghorn

• Col.
  • Old F-16 Guy
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 11:19:00 AM »
Welcome!