* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D?  (Read 12481 times)

Olejon

Lockheed Martin Prepar3D?
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »
Have som one sjekk this out?

http://www.prepar3d.com/experience/

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
    • Awards
Re: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
I have a pair of 3D glasses that I picked up at I/ITSEC that work great with that video.
I got them from the C-T-S booth.  C-T-S.com
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Offline Thunder

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »
I realize I'm digging up a super old topic, but has anyone tried Prepar3D recently?

I just got a copy of P3D V2 and the visuals are outstanding.(with a couple bolt on software packages like Rex4 http://www.rexdirectexperience.com/texture.html)

I haven't had time to mess with pulling gages for secondary screens yet, but it looks like some of the BMS functionality is still there (granted it looks like there's more support for the F/A-18 fans than F-16 sim drivers)

Haven't seen much from Benchmark in over a year in terms of development, so I'm wondering if switching to a paid software might have better longevity.

Offline Thunder

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »
Realistically, I'll probably continue to use BMS for F-16 sim specific work since so much of the development and add on software has already been created, and I don't have the skill set or time to develop my own for P3D. But P3D will probably become the stand-in when friends or I want to fly and see something "pretty" or fly the latest and greatest in the USAF arsenal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LhqnEhop4
The CLOUDS!!

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »
....hhhhhmmmmnnnn.... :notes: ...can us hobbyists get "combat capability" with Prepare3D?  The licensing is a bit too tricky to get a clear picture from...
- Rufus

Offline Thunder

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
With an academic license you can get the VRS TacPac http://www.vrsimulations.com/tacpackP3D.htm which enables you to turn it into a combat sim. (The company may also let you do it with a Professional license provided you're not using it for commercial purposes- not sure.)

The chaps over at http://hornetpits.org/ seem to be using P3D with TacPac as their base program much like we use BMS.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
...I've just been sold - because that's my next project after my Viper pit is "done"... :outthewindow: !

I have FSX and the VRS Super Hornet, but have yet to grab the FSX TacPak.  I'd seen they'd issued versions for Prepare3D, but I'm not deep into what I have yet, and as I understand things the real advantage of Prepare3D (for our use) is the upgraded visuals.  And it seems like the only useful license option is the "Professional" one.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:14:37 PM by Rufus »
- Rufus

Offline bismond

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »
The guy who developed vrs tacpac doesn't seem too impressed with p3d. He's not developing a consumer version for p3d presently.
 I like p3d the program its basically fsx with out all the instability but its not real friendly for ma and pop 3rd party devs. For example weapons modeling examples use 3d Max software a very pricey bit o coin. I saw some fsx 3rd party devs complaining about this on the p3d forum. Doesn't seem too friendly for us peasants.
 On the other hand it uses simmconnect for extracting variables like shared mem does for falcon and I was able to get a small program extracting live data from the sim in very little time.
I have used megascenery over Nellis in p3d and it looks awesome but theres no good aircraft to fly the range with [I was in the T6 lol]
Its not ready for prime time in IMHO.
If someone gets tacpac running on it for reasonable price please post
Faq1:embedded programs must NEVER return from main()
Faq2:99.9% of UART errors are AVRs not being clocked right
Faq3: If PORTC bits don't seem to work JTAG
probably needs disabling.
Faq4:If using avr-gcc avoid -OO optimisation settings at all costs.

Bananas and Blow.
Fat Squaw Sweat Lodge

Offline Thunder

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
Yeah it sounds like their license agreement with Microsoft states it can only be used for "non-entertainment" purposes... but that's a strange and blurry line. Personally I like the aircraft it comes with, but I need to find somewhere to get an F-16- it's odd that's not standard considering who released the software.

@Propnut any insight from the F/A-18 side of the world?

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:50:18 PM »
There is a VRS TacPac for basic FSX, but as of current listings neither it nor the Prepare3D version will support multi-player -

http://www.vrsimulations.com/tacpack.htm

On top of this, the licenses make it seem like there is functionality being held in reserve for use in development of genuine military trainers...and while that's exciting and all, it also leaves one to wonder just how dumbed-down the product we might get actually is.

I'll evaluate the S-Hornet sim and TacPac on FSX before I make any serious decision as to if moving to Prepare3D would be worth it, since I have a toe in that door...frankly, I think I'd rather see capabilities in BMS brought to X-Plane compatibility.  As far as flight dynamics and user-modelling features go.  I already know that I can fly X-Plane in my local area and recognize local terrain features...hoping that holds with FSX.  Haven't really spent any time looking at it other than checking my install.
- Rufus

Offline Taipan

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:23:42 PM »
 I already know that I can fly X-Plane in my local area and recognize local terrain features...hoping that holds with FSX.....

There is a very large range of photo real scenery for FSX - and a good deal of it is free. There is also a plugin to google earth as well...
"If the heat don't get you........"

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:51 AM »
...sounds like I have some things to look forward to... :reading:

Now if the S-Hornet sim can pass muster...
- Rufus

Offline Thunder

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:42:45 PM »
A few things that are on my list to try are:
Aerosoft F-16 (MLU and Block 50/52 cockpits) http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,,10285 $25.72
Downside is that it's just the air vehicle- no weapon systems.

FlyAwaySimulation.com also has some F-16 models and skins. Most of them are not good quality, but they're freeware.

And a particularly interesting app that turns an iPad into a wifi instructor station, read more here: http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2014/09/5640/ $39.99
No Android support yet, so I'll have to find a discarded iPad for this first but that shouldn't be a big problem because most Apple users usually have the old models collecting dust when the new shiny one comes out.

I'll post a review of the features I get around to when I get some time to work with the software a bit more.

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »
The iPad app looks cool... :notes: ...now on my list!
- Rufus

Offline Thunder

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 09:06:10 PM »
Definitely a great idea, and cost effective too- way easier than setting up a dedicated station. I get a lot of people over to my house that want to try out the sim and this would be a great way to load training scenarios on the quick to familiarize them with the basic functions of the aircraft.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal