* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by SharkNoir
[March 17, 2024, 03:19:25 PM]

Author Topic: DCS F-16 announcement  (Read 5197 times)

Offline STRIKER

• Captain
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • 421st Virtual Fighter Squadron
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
DCS F-16 announcement
« on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
Is anyone else tracking this as of today?

Finally after many years there will be an F-16 for Digital Combat Simulator and if any of you know how detailed and complex this sim is you too should be excited (especially after the F-18 release this week as a great benchmark).  Hopefully this will finally unite the F-16 community by far.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
Re: DCS F-16 announcement
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
Still would never compare to BMS and what is to come from BMS.  But nice to have options
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:14 PM »
I'll be curious...in fact, I'm even becoming curious about running my pit using Prepar3D - who knows better than Lock-Mart?  My plan is to build as "software agnostic" as I can and have profiles to utilize/maintain variety.

...and if I can find a way to link a BMS driven pit into the FAF sim environment, I'd like to try that as well.  FAF contains a few SA threat tricks that BMS hasn't gotten around to yet.
- Rufus

Offline Marvin

• General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:01:21 AM »
Yeah there is no doubt Prepare3D would be a stunning sim with accurate scenario but the last 20 years of flying BMS has taught me one thing.  Without a campaign it gets real boring real fast.  I will just be sticking with BMS.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline kimmel

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 02:44:23 AM »
The „first news“ about the F16 was allready released 1 year ago, so I hope they used the time wisely....

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 03:20:30 AM »
Honestly I think the F-16 would be a bad thing for them to do.  There is too many to please with that Jet?  If they did it right they would have to do several variants of that Jet.   I could see them hosing their users with having to pay extra for the different variants.  Or maybe that would be a good thing for them?   lol
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 06:51:50 AM »
I'll be curious...in fact, I'm even becoming curious about running my pit using Prepar3D - who knows better than Lock-Mart?  My plan is to build as "software agnostic" as I can and have profiles to utilize/maintain variety.
I tried that flying F-16 from BMS and A-10C from DCS from the same pit and sofware
It's not simple. The input/outputs philosophy from both sims are so far apart that bring them to anything common is very tedious to do.
That said, it was a long time ago and things evolved since.

...and if I can find a way to link a BMS driven pit into the FAF sim environment, I'd like to try that as well.  FAF contains a few SA threat tricks that BMS hasn't gotten around to yet.
What's FAF?

and if any of you know how detailed and complex this sim is you too should be excited
I know pretty well the DCS series as I started flying Flanker 1.0
Although I value choice and salute any effort in the sim world, I think the statement above is a tad misleading :)
Especially for those of us who know how BMS is complex and detailed in the avionics implementation of the sim. IMHO DCS is far far behind of minute details that make you go wow.
Don't get me wrong, DCS has really great feature surpassing BMS as well and I enjoy both sim but you have to give Ceasar what's at Ceasar :)

Inevitably a F-16 DCS model will be compared to BMS and BMS has a head start of almost 20 years in avionics, flight model etc whereas DCS IMHO (mind the "H" in there) DCS is lightyears ahead on eyecandy mostly
We need to get ready for a fanboy war !!

I fly both. One in my pit, the other on a laptop when I need a quick fix without all the hassle of pit setup

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 07:01:12 AM by Red Dog »
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Marvin

• General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
Well written Red Dog! 
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline bismond

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:25:18 AM »
DCS BIOS is a good interface software (free) for your simpit to DCS. It uses a serial interface "socat" to send a stream of data from the DCS lua code. Its mainly set up for arduino boards.
Faq1:embedded programs must NEVER return from main()
Faq2:99.9% of UART errors are AVRs not being clocked right
Faq3: If PORTC bits don't seem to work JTAG
probably needs disabling.
Faq4:If using avr-gcc avoid -OO optimisation settings at all costs.

Bananas and Blow.
Fat Squaw Sweat Lodge

Offline uri_ba

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills
    • My Pit blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »
No need to rush anything...
Taking into account the rate things move in DCS, we are still 5 years away from DCS Viper.

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
It is good news. I would welcome an F16C in DCS World. I will happily fly both products.
 :clap:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:05:40 PM by JCook »
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »
I tried that flying F-16 from BMS and A-10C from DCS from the same pit and sofware
It's not simple. The input/outputs philosophy from both sims are so far apart that bring them to anything common is very tedious to do.
That said, it was a long time ago and things evolved since.

What's FAF?

and if any of you know how detailed and complex this sim is you too should be excited
I know pretty well the DCS series as I started flying Flanker 1.0
Although I value choice and salute any effort in the sim world, I think the statement above is a tad misleading :)
Especially for those of us who know how BMS is complex and detailed in the avionics implementation of the sim. IMHO DCS is far far behind of minute details that make you go wow.
Don't get me wrong, DCS has really great feature surpassing BMS as well and I enjoy both sim but you have to give Ceasar what's at Ceasar :)

Inevitably a F-16 DCS model will be compared to BMS and BMS has a head start of almost 20 years in avionics, flight model etc whereas DCS IMHO (mind the "H" in there) DCS is lightyears ahead on eyecandy mostly
We need to get ready for a fanboy war !!

I fly both. One in my pit, the other on a laptop when I need a quick fix without all the hassle of pit setup

FAF = Falcon: Allied Force, RD.  A lot of people (like to) overlook it, but I still hear it lauded in professional circles, and I think there are some lessons the BMS devs could take from it about surface threat modelling - in particular that the surface threats react defensively when targeted (most notable in the HARM training mission - they do react to your radar...at least in the Mac version they do)...not that they operate as an IADS, but that they seem a bit smarter...and there seem to be more MANPADS in theater that can get you if you stray off course line and fly too low - in Korea, at least; these are some of the things one can learn by going off-script in the Trainer Missions, and I think that's pretty cool.

I'm with you on the hardware impact on each particular sim - I've found BMS to be very sensitive to which controller I plug into it..."feel" of the controller seems to count as much or even more than calibration, and to a far greater degree that with FAF.  Personally, I'd only fly F-16s from an F-16 pit and build other ones for other type/model/series aircraft...I don't even want to desk-fly BMS just now - I want my cockpit!

What I would like to do is certainly a challenge, and maybe an insurmountable one - I'll find that out as I go.  But I figure I should be able to build a fairly generic OTW set up and wheel multiple cockpits in and out of that (and re-calibrating) - I'm already noodling over doing an Me 109K...drool...yeah, I'll be looking over DCS in the near term, but I'm trying to stiff-arm it until I have at least my present project finished...er...operating... :DOH: .
- Rufus

Offline Snowman

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Brig.General
    • Snowman Falcon
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
Hopefully this will finally unite the F-16 community by far.

Huh? Was the F-16 community devided? Unlikely that's  an accurate assessment.
Its fine if dcs releases a F-16 of course in my opinion. Good that people have options.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:03:08 PM by Snowman »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal