ACES II - SEAT ROLLERS by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:48:00 PM]

HUDBLOCK FLOODLIGHT BRACKET by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:47:14 PM]

CONSOLE SIDEWALLS by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:46:42 PM]

ACES II - SEATBACK IN 1 MM. ALU. by Kukki
[April 17, 2018, 01:42:34 PM]

Author Topic: Grease Monkey's Pit  (Read 344798 times)

Offline Marvin

• LT. General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
Re: Grease Monkey's Pit
« Reply #855 on: April 13, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
@sagrzmnky   what is a "faux transducer"?
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #856 on: April 14, 2018, 02:40:15 PM »
@sagrzmnky   what is a "faux transducer"?

Faux is a French word that means fake or imitation. I bought it from Dunk many years ago.
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick

Offline Marvin

• LT. General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #857 on: April 14, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
Ah ok..  Well it certainly looks good to me, rather I thought it was a real one from Martin or something.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #858 on: April 16, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
Ah ok..  Well it certainly looks good to me, rather I thought it was a real one from Martin or something.

Luckily I have the Ribbstick so no pressure is put on the Transducer at all.

My build thread

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #859 on: April 17, 2018, 02:01:07 AM »
Ok. Here is a small update. I had to make my slide out avionics bay. So with an aluminum sheet, some aluminum angles, and rivets here it is. It is pretty strong and will make getting to the power supplies and boards much easier. Hopefully my rack set up for my pc system arrives in a couple of days and I can set it up on the other side. The pc is going to be hidden in here and there is plenty of room for ventilation.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:06:42 AM by sagrzmnky »

My build thread

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #860 on: April 17, 2018, 04:11:12 AM »
Nice work there Philip  :thumbsup: keep the metal hot :-)  cheers  :beer:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #861 on: April 17, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
 :thumbsup:
I really like the "sliding drawer" idea.
I almost got to the point to do it all over again, but with that way of working the pit will never get finished.
So, I am making a list of "improvements for later". When "later" will be ...  :reading:

Offline Noluck18

• Captain
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #862 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
Looks great, I did that same thing on a sim.  I have also used 19" rack mounted PC/CPU, power supplys and electronics enclosures on pull out rails in the aft of the cockpit.

Chip
---

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #863 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
Looks great, I did that same thing on a sim.  I have also used 19" rack mounted PC/CPU, power supplys and electronics enclosures on pull out rails in the aft of the cockpit.

Chip
---

This is the rack server that I am going to install on the other side.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811147155

My build thread

Offline Marvin

• LT. General
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #864 on: April 17, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »
That's a great idea!
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #865 on: April 17, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
That's a great idea!
:thumbsup:
The pc is going to be completely hidden. I am going to use the test button on the AVTR panel for the power button on the pc.

My build thread

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #866 on: April 18, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
I've been looking for a rack server box.  That one is cheaper than the $125 one at Altex here in town.  I may buy one myself.

Thanks Phil.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Noluck18

• Captain
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #867 on: April 18, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »

Consider the design method and utility, the enclosures are really not *that* expensive. The rails can be, but here we have plenty of surplus stores.

Chip
---

That's the type of enclosures I was talking about. I have about 6 of some types buried in the shed somewhere, trying to remember the MFG. I built a 2X wide 19" rack space by I don't remember how many rack 'U''s high in the aft of a F-16 sim. It held 4 separate enclosures, again on pull out rails. If a particular enclosure/unit, CPU, PS, etc. failed, they could pull the unit out and replace with a spare. Lot's of connectors and disconnects on the I/O assembly.

Chip
---

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
« Reply #868 on: April 18, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
[Forgive the slight hijack of Phil's thread]

Here's what I will be attaching to the back bulkhead of my pit so I can mount electronics since I don't have the same compartments as the Fam Trainers or Martin's construction.  It is the Tripp Lite SRW12US Wall mount enclosure.

Electronics_Cabinet.jpgGrease Monkey's Pit

Notice that it can swing open so you can access the back of the equipment in the rack.  I may also use chassis slides on some equipment.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #869 on: April 18, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
[Forgive the slight hijack of Phil's thread]

Here's what I will be attaching to the back bulkhead of my pit so I can mount electronics since I don't have the same compartments as the Fam Trainers or Martin's construction.  It is the Tripp Lite SRW12US Wall mount enclosure.

Electronics_Cabinet.jpgGrease Monkey's Pit

Notice that it can swing open so you can access the back of the equipment in the rack.  I may also use chassis slides on some equipment.

I have thought about using a set up like that. Similarly to the way @String has his. I decided to try something different and try to hide everything. We will see how this works out.

My build thread