There aren't any users online.

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[Today at 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: ViperPits Web Site Running Slow  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • http://www.employees.org/~bwilliam
    • Awards
ViperPits Web Site Running Slow
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:48:21 PM »
Is anyone else having problems with our VP web site running really slow?  I'm getting lots of hesitations and slow responses from the server.  Not all the time but intermittently. 

I've done all the things that one normally does in Chrome to try to fix that including clearing cache and other recommended things about Chrome running slow.  Still no joy.  I don't have this problem when posting to other Forums, only VP.  I also don't seem to have a problem if I switch to Microsoft browser (whatever they call it now days).  However, I haven't extensively tested with the other browser to see if I see it there.  I really don't want to have to switch to another browser to post on VP.

This seems like something that started a couple of weeks again and seems to be related to our VP server/software/network connection and Chrome.  Any one else seeing this?
Beau "Willy" Williamson

I better go find my monkey!

Offline Redneck

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: ViperPits Web Site Running Slow
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
+1

Weird thing is on my cellphone it is working fine. (Android).

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
What browser are you using on your phone?  Chrome?
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Redneck

• Col.
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Chrome
On desktop and mobile device.

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
More info.

My Laptop is a Windows 10 laptop.  It has been running fine with the VP web site and Chrome until about 2 weeks ago when this started.

Maybe this is a W10 + Chrome + VP Server combination issue.  Dunno.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Redneck

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »
My desktop is running on w7.
Same problems as described in first post.

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »
Ok, so I'm trying to make a post using my Linux node running the latest google-chrome-stable release, 65.0.3325.162 (Official Build) (64-bit). 

This machine is a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine that is a bit long in the tooth in terms of CPU horsepower.  So far I'm not seeing any lags or delay with this combo as I enter this post.  Either I'm not hitting the VP Server when it is having the problem or this combo of OS/Chrome + the VP Server is not an issue.

Hmmm.  I might be tempted to think this is a Windows plus Chrome related issue but I don't see the issue on other web sites.  Maybe I should run some continuous ping test between here and the VP server to see if there are periodic response time issues that could be related to the Server or the network between here and there.

Need to keep digging I guess.   :digger:
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline hy-fye1

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »
I'm using MacOs High Sierra and Safari. It works fine.

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
Keep in mind I'm talking about performance when entering text for a post, not just page display time.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:39 AM »
Yeah, I also noticed the awefully slowwww response since a few days.
Hmmm, funny, typing this message seems to go at "full throttle"  :-\

I experienced the slowness especially in the evening (local time) - that would be afternoon in the US.

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 03:18:18 AM »
Willy,

I have noticed this too and it is so annoying..  I found it was mostly doing this with lengthy posts with photos etc.  I have noticed that if I scroll the page as far down as it will go then back up it seems to have fixed the problem?
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
@Marvin,

Thanks for the input.  Hopefully we can collect enough information for the website admins to be able to address this.  It does seem like entering a long post at times causes the response to suffer.  Adding photos seems to make it even worse.  This is what makes me think the server may need an upgrade in CPU, Memory or Storage or maybe some disk defragmentation.

We all may need to do some donations to VP so the admins can do an upgrade if this is in fact the source of the problems.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

Offline Marvin

• General
  • Back at again after 10 years!
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Agoge Tactical Regimen
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
@Marvin,

Thanks for the input.  Hopefully we can collect enough information for the website admins to be able to address this.  It does seem like entering a long post at times causes the response to suffer.  Adding photos seems to make it even worse.  This is what makes me think the server may need an upgrade in CPU, Memory or Storage or maybe some disk defragmentation.

We all may need to do some donations to VP so the admins can do an upgrade if this is in fact the source of the problems.

Completely agree!!!   Many of us here spend 1000s of dollars on our cockpits and use this as a number one resource.  I know my cockpits would only be imagination without the sources on this site.  I would be full prepared to pay an annual fee to keep this site operational and efficient.
" Where's the KABOOM! "

Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7 - 5820K CPU (3.30GHz 6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost), 32.0 GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz, 128GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 2TB 72

Offline avn-tech

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement
    • Aviation, Military & Police Movie Props
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:02:14 AM »
I agree with Marvin, I would be willing to pay an annual fee to help keep the site running properly!

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech

Offline Willy

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
I don't think we need an annual fee, I just think it may be time to make another donation to help out if they need some $$ for hardware upgrades.
Beau "Willy" Williamson

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal