Blaze's Pit by Kukki
[September 13, 2017, 03:17:33 PM]

Rodsei's Pit by rodsei
[September 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM]

Azul's Pit by sagrzmnky
[September 12, 2017, 12:55:01 PM]

Pikachu's Home Pit by Hero
[September 12, 2017, 01:00:55 AM]

Author Topic: Salaxi54's pit progress  (Read 179459 times)

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Salaxi54's pit progress
« Reply #540 on: August 25, 2017, 05:33:05 AM »
@sagrzmnky : Thanks Phillip, i'll keep that in mind when i come across a small enough bearing; good idea!   :thumbsup:
@ all : Thanks for your comments and suggestions! As about the servos, i did a little research today, and came up with finding a few interesting models.
Here's a list of what i found:

Make/Model                     Turns                            Connector

Hitec HS-785HB                  3.5                             HITEC
-"-    RCD33785S                3.5                             HITEC  (same model, different name)
KING MAX SW5513-4MA      4                               unknown 
-"-            SW5513-6MA      1.5                            unknown   
TURNIGY TGY-4805-1.5PA   1.5-1.7                      JR
-"-          TGY-6114MD         1-6                            JR
GWS  S125-6T-D/2BB*        6                               JR

*This servo can be connected to the same brands' DSP-1 Digital Servo Programmer to be set between 1 and 6 turns.

If anyone has better knowledge of servos, and can check specs, i'd appreciate suggestions!
Now, on today's progress, i managed to do the side stamp for the indexers, with the already-familiar toothpic and paint method.  :harhar:

Offline Redneck

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: August 25, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »
Hey salaxi54

There is a way to adapt servo's to you needs.
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=8393.0

Thought i would mention it.

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: August 25, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
Hey salaxi54

There is a way to adapt servo's to you needs.
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=8393.0

Thought i would mention it.

Ahhh, I forgot about that post from @Moon   :thumbsup:
It is a brilliant idea and gives you *two* important solutions
1 - rotation more than 180 degrees
2 - axis centered

:clap:  Moon

Offline Redneck

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #543 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
I did mod a servo and works awesome.
https://youtu.be/AsvgnIUUQA8

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: August 25, 2017, 03:12:25 PM »
Nice looking Indexer... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2017, 01:39:42 AM »
@Redneck : Thanks, i do remember that servo mod, and it's a brilliant idea.
All i'm wondering is: what's the use of modding say a 90-degree servo into a 360 when you can get a 360 servo dirt-cheap nowadays? Only thing left to do afterwards would be to install a shaft in the center of the driving gear i think.
To conclude, what's the ideal servo for the job? There's 9 gauges on the right side (for the Block 52 Current configuration), and none of them seem to require more than 350-360 degree travel in total - unless i'm mistaken.
As i see it, they're : OIL, NOZ POS, RPM, FTIT, FUEL, HYD (x2), EPU, CABIN PRESS.
Instruments located at the center pedestal don't worry me, since i'll be using the "modern" CPD. Only other obstacle i can see in the future would be the compass..
Thank you all for your coments!  :thumbsup: 

Offline Moon

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »
Thanks for the compliments @salaxi54 @henkie and @Redneck  It means a lot coming from such great pit-builders.

Dirt-cheap 360 servos lack position feedback, which is essential for a gauge.  360 servos are modified for continuous rotation, e.g. to drive the wheels on a robot.

Henkie is correct - some winch servos are multi-turn and have position feedback.  A 3.5 turn servo would work, but the mod I posted can be more accurate, cheaper and is axis centered.

If you do use a multi-turn winch servo, look for one that is 1 - 1.5 turns.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:37:35 AM by Moon »

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #547 on: August 26, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »
The problem with servos is that the axis is not in the center of the servo body. That makes them difficult to use for the smaller indicators. So @Moon  mod is just perfect.

@salaxi54  on the MAN TRIM you could also use 2 servos. I did that (well, actually I used aircore motors), because I am more comfortable with electronics, but you can make the ROLL and PITCH indicator needles also working using a mechanical link to the adjustment knob. That's how the real thing is constructed, and I am sure you will show us yet an other fine example of your skills to make great stuff out of "junk", just like you did with the indexers   :thumbsup:

Offline salaxi54

• General
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: September 05, 2017, 07:06:15 AM »
@Moon@henkie : Thanks fellas!  Henk, to be honest, the Manual Trim panel was not in my mind at all.. :DOH: Thus, i'll have to keep that in mind too.
Now, another question, does anyone have an idea if i can power-test the DED oled panel without the Arduino connected? I mean, i tried just the power supply at 4 vdc, and nada.
It supposedly operates at a range of 3.3-5vdc, but would it display anything on its own, or do i really have to connect it to the Due to see something?
Thanks in advance!

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: September 05, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
just guessing ...
you have to clock data in, to get pixels turned on. At power up the local display electronics will do a reset and erase the garbage in the memory so that the display is blank.
Maybe if you apply power, switch off the power and then back on, the reset is "maybe" not executed, but the memory contents is already "whatever". Then you might see some garbage image on the display ... hmmm, maybe that is how modern "artists" create modern paintings   :D

Give it a try, but I would not hope too much. If you get a garbage image, make a picture  ;D