Blaze's Pit by Kukki
[September 13, 2017, 03:17:33 PM]

Rodsei's Pit by rodsei
[September 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM]

Azul's Pit by sagrzmnky
[September 12, 2017, 12:55:01 PM]

Pikachu's Home Pit by Hero
[September 12, 2017, 01:00:55 AM]

Author Topic: Rodsei's Pit  (Read 317 times)

Offline rodsei

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
Rodsei's Pit
« on: September 12, 2017, 06:03:11 PM »
Hi, I'm Håvard from Norway.

I'm currently studying civil engineering at NTNU in Trondheim, Norway.

It wasn't until quite recent I got into flight sims, or at least with the intent of investing some time in it. It's certainly a growing interest of mine and it didn't take long before I wanted more immersion, and found my first plastic controller very lacking in terms of this.

I also do very much enjoy building things or taking them apart, and trying to learn how stuff works.

Obviously, it would be the sweetest thing ever to have a full-blown cockpit. Some browsing here at the forum, and I have a new appreciation for how deep the rabbit hole goes, in this regard. There are certainly many impressive builds in here.

However due to my small living space and somewhat limited budget, I guess I’ll start with something a little more modest and probably more generic.

My first focus will be (more) realistic feeling/functioning controls.

I'll start by upgrading the HOTAS:

I do have the TM Cougar.

I recently purchased a real Throttle grip.
My hope is to acquire the rest of the assembly (real or replica), throttle arm, AB detent guide rail, pinky lever etc. (DIY is an option here, but work space/tools are limited)

My first plead for help will be regarding connecting/interfacing the throttle grip. (:

I have a Bodnar BU0836A.
I have a Bodnar load cell amp
(uncertain if the TQS RDR transducer will work with this, probably not)

I will order a 31 pin Micro-D connector.

What I think I need is to convert the radar cursor transducer signal to something I can use, 0-5V,
and possibly the manual range and antenna pots to 10k ohm?

From older threads, I gather that there have been members who developed a pcb that did exactly that, is such a treasure still available? (:

Many thanks to all who have and still is contributing to this resource.

Online Blaze

• Col.
    • Awards
Re: Rodsei's Pit
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:40:12 PM »
Welcome sir!

I absolutely LOVE Norway....you have a beautiful country.  I was fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks there in 1991 on a Civil Air Patrol trip and want to go back very badly.  In fact I spent at least 1 night in your hometown of Trondheim.  I actually got to fly a Norwegian F16 simulator and sit in the real jet with the canopy down!  I think my favorite city would have to be Bergen though....just amazing how pretty that place is.

Anyhow, no matter how far you go with the hobby it will be fun.  Even just flying a desktop sim is a blast and anything after that is icing on the cake. 

Happy building,

Blaze

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Welcome Rodsei - if you already have a Cougar, there's no turning back... :vprules: !

I've converted a Cougar TQS using a Bodner board myself - there are two things to keep in mind -

1) if you wire in at the J1 connector (I think it's J1 - it's the one that the serial cable plugs into) the output of that connector is already in a matrix setup, which allows for a straight forward pin to the Bodner.

2) the cursor controller isn't really an x-y "joystick" - it's a quadrature mouse stick.  You can wire it to the x-y inputs of the Bodner, but you'll need to do something to determine which quadrant it's in and then assign the proper arrow keys...I did thins on my Mac using a utility called ControllerMate, and I get zero drift with this approach.

As got the real grip...I have yet to be so fortunate as to have one... :DOH: ...but you're in the right place to find out!

...and Blaze is right - your country is stunningly beautiful... :thumbsup: !
- Rufus

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:22:36 PM »
Hey rodsei.
Welcome to VP my nordic friend.
you have found the right place to be  :thumbsup:
Take a look inhere, im sure there is a lot of information you can use for your project  :thumbsup:

Welcome
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline John Fredrik

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
Hi.

Be aware..this virus could be expensive. ;D
I live in Malvik ,right outside Trondheim.

I have a pit and if you would like to see it let me know ;)

John Fredrik
Best Regards
John Fredrik

Offline rodsei

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me and the kind words.

Blaze, that’s very cool. You’ve got some nice reference from memory, experience, aiding your own build then. Which by the looks of it is shaping up to be pretty close to the real deal. When I served mandatory military service, air defense battalion close to Bodø Main Air Station, I did occasionally see them relatively close up, and once I was right next to one inside a hangar. Never got to climb into one I’m afraid (:  Beautiful aircrafts.

Rufus,
1) Thanks, got it. I did however commit to do my own wiring, sort of, just wanted to bypass the circuits inside the cougar, not really knowing what they did.

2) Do I understand you right, you’re talking about the cougar thumb stick, yes?
I did try to hook it up (the cougar thumb stick) to the Bodnar Board, it seemed to work okay like this, only testing it in the windows game controller properties.

Yeah, I was quite happy to find one, and grab it from ebay.
The obstacle, for now, is to hook up the real grip.

Thanks Kukki, fellow Scandinavian.
It very much seems like that, and I will surely spend some hours reading (:

Offline rodsei

• Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
Hi, John Fredrik.
Wow, that is awesome (:
That is an very generous offer, I would gladly to that some time.