Blaze's Pit by Kukki
[September 13, 2017, 03:17:33 PM]

Rodsei's Pit by rodsei
[September 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM]

Azul's Pit by sagrzmnky
[September 12, 2017, 12:55:01 PM]

Pikachu's Home Pit by Hero
[September 12, 2017, 01:00:55 AM]

Author Topic: F-16 fuselage  (Read 61031 times)

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
Re: F-16 fuselage
« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2017, 02:56:16 AM »
Yeah, in your case Hans Dieter, you can only hope that you got the F-16 dimension correct. I guess a few mm off would not hurt too much. But I am waiting for the canopy frame that Kukki will offer here, a few "VP months" from now   :whistle:    :D
When I have the (or a) canopy frame, I will build the outside of my pit fitting the given size of the canopy frame. So, I am good whatever the dimensions will be (within limits  ;D )
I am not planning on adding the "glass bubble".

Offline simpit

• Brig.General
  • f16fighter.de
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • f16fighter.de
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: August 06, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »
HI guys,

the right console is very close to be finished. It was a job of a couple of hours to adjust the DZUS-Rails to make all panels fit perfect.
Have a nice day

Hans Dieter

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: August 07, 2017, 03:20:41 AM »
Sweet   :bounce2:
I remember I was very happy when I got to this point.
After all the hard work, fitting the first set of panels gives a tremendous boost to continue.

Enjoy the cool looks and start making plans for new close-to-reach goals   ;D

Offline simpit

• Brig.General
  • f16fighter.de
    • f16fighter.de
    • Awards
« Reply #363 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »
Hi Henki,

it gives me comfort that you call this job "hard work"(those who use wooden frames have a considerable easier job). I estimate I spent about 30 hours in adjusting the rails. But - you are right - really looks great when it´s finished  :yihaw:.

Sweet   :bounce2:
I remember I was very happy when I got to this point.
After all the hard work, fitting the first set of panels gives a tremendous boost to continue.

Enjoy the cool looks and start making plans for new close-to-reach goals   ;D
Have a nice day

Hans Dieter

Offline simpit

• Brig.General
  • f16fighter.de
    • f16fighter.de
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: August 31, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
The next job was connecting the cockpit to the 230V-electrical main supply. The goal was to have only 1 plug (see below the yellow one) for the whole cockpit circuit. First my breaker box was build directly on the cockpit back plate and after I took a look on it I had a very bad feeling. I imagined to end as a fried chicken in this full metal pit if I got anywhere I damaged cable. After further tests with a simple plastic foil I decided to install a completely disconnected clear acrylic plate with the dimensions of 150 cm x 50 cm as base for the breaker box. With this construction I have absolutely no point of connection with the metal construction and nevertheless the origine metal finish of the back plate is visible!!! The breaker box has a safty distance of about 10 cm to the back plate - hoping this is enough. What do you think? Any improvement suggestions?

I have connected a 24V, 12V and 5V-power supply with the breaker box. This must be enough for the complete cockpit power supply (lights and controller). Also note the first panel connected to my (5V-) power supply. The maximum voltage for real panels is 5 Volt. Here we have 4,7 Volt - I think this is perfect, isn´t it?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:45:12 PM by simpit »
Have a nice day

Hans Dieter

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: September 01, 2017, 03:26:38 AM »
Overall construction looks good, insulation also  :thumbsup:
I assume that you connected "ground" (yellow/green wire) to the *metal* of the pit.

However, I am a bit worried about that 5V / 4.7V, but maybe I just did not understand correctly.
Is the voltage level *at* the power supply 5V, and is it 4.7V at the connection of the panel?
If so, I am worried. In that case you need to find where you "loose" 0.3V. It implies that there is somewhere in the wiring a resistance that causes this voltage drop. When you progress in the connection of more electronics, the current will increase, and that may cause a "hot spot" ...

4.7V for the backlight is, as you say, no problem.

Excellent that you included a "service socket" for a soldering iron  ;D

Offline ramazoti

• Col.
  • Brand new newbie! :D
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
German way :D
everything must be grounded  :yihaw: :yihaw:

Offline simpit

• Brig.General
  • f16fighter.de
    • f16fighter.de
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2017, 06:59:35 AM »
Overall construction looks good, insulation also  :thumbsup:
I assume that you connected "ground" (yellow/green wire) to the *metal* of the pit.

Thanks henkie (and ramazoti) for your reply:

1) Not yet, but I also thought about this topic. Next time I´ll show the construction my profi-electrician and ask him the way to ground the whole cockpit perfectly. Do you recommend to ground the pit to the home-circiut in the meanwhile, that means with the green/yellow cable of the electric socket?

2) No, I measured directly at the connection srews of the power supply (200W) in idle condition: 4,7 Volt. Don´t know why it´s not correctly 5 Volt but in this case it´s perfect to safe the LEDs and the lamps of the genuine panels because this device has no poti to adjust the voltage - I would have adjusted it below 5 Volts either way.

3) I thought about saving the real panels by a 1,2 Amp. breaker at every real panel. Do think that it´s necessary?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:05:51 AM by simpit »
Have a nice day

Hans Dieter

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: September 01, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
It is for your own safety to connect the mains power yellow/green wire to the metal.
Although you have all AC mains power stuff inside an insulated (plastic / ABS) box  :thumbsup:, the yellow/green wire is there to let the ground fault interrupter (german: Fehlerstromschützschalter) trip at a fault current of just 10 (or 30) mA. So, if there is a fault in one of the two mains power wires to the metal, the interrupter will switch off before you are seriously injured or killed. You *want* the yellow/green wire connected to the metal  :D
The "GND" (0 V) of the low-voltage DC output of all (good) power supplies is also connected to ground (the yellow/green connection). You can check that with an Ohm meter. The resistance between the AC mains power "ground" pin and the "GND / 0V" pin will be zero Ohm.

That 4.7V from a lightly-loaded PSU is too low. But if you only use that PSU for panel lighting, it is OK. But if you want to run electronics (TTL circuits, PIC processors) then that 4.7V is marginal, or probably just a bit too low for reliable operation of the electronics.
I am pretty sure there is somewhere (inside?) a trim potentiometer to adjust the output voltage. But be sure that your meter gives a correct reading!!

What is the use of the 1.2A breaker for each panel? It will *not* protect the *real* panel, which is by far more valuable than any standard available power supply. The 1.2A fuse will only protect the power supply (and wiring) against a high current in the case of a short circuit. Modern power supplies are easily capable of delivering 10A .. 20A. So, a fuse (or some fuses for "groups") is indeed a good measure for safety (fire, sparking, arcing) in the pit. Place a fuse (or fuses) near the power supply output cabling, not at the "end" of the power wiring.

If you really want to protect the *real* panels (or DIY LED-made panels) and want to have some means to cut off power if the voltage rises above, say, 6V, you can search for a crowbar circuit that switches off a thyristor to cut power (I guess google can turn up results, as said, I am lazy). Simple circuits that create a short circuit if the voltage rises above a (set) level to let a fuse blow are slow. That is because any fuse needs time to warm up and finally (by heat) blow open circuit. That time can well be beyond the time your bulbs inside the panel can survive on the higher voltage  :whistle:

Offline simpit

• Brig.General
  • f16fighter.de
    • f16fighter.de
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: September 03, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »
Thanks henkie for your recommendations.

FI-switch (RCD = Fehlerstromschutzschalter) installed:
Have a nice day

Hans Dieter

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: September 04, 2017, 07:12:25 AM »
 :thumbsup: