• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by Atlas
[May 16, 2024, 12:43:47 PM]

Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[May 11, 2024, 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

Author Topic: Michi "MiHi" Hirczy  (Read 5134 times)

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • https://f16simulator.net
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« on: June 09, 2004, 09:24:20 AM »
seems to be my turn now... :D

Name: Michael Hirczy
Nickname: Michi
DOB: 18.07.74 (that's 30 this year *g*)
Height: 1,80m
Weight: way too much atm (about 84 kg)
Origin: Austria
Hobbies: Sports (every ballgame, especially Volleyball), computerhacking, making music (piano and some guitar), StarWars ;)

That's me :D

Bio

Born in Moedling in '74 but have been living about 200km southwest in a small city called Jennersdorf. Had fun going to school and my parents supported me in everything I wanted to do - so I got to learn to play piano with 8 (and like to play it until today).
After finishing highschool I came to Graz to study Mathematics and Physical Education to become a teacher. Sadly I never finished university (but subscribed again this year :)) because I got involved in a small company doing intra-/internetsolutions - and that's what I've been doing till today.

Hobbies

That's the point for the reasons I didn't finish university ;).
I have been playing Volleyball since 14 (after finishing my soccer "carreer" *g*) and when I came to Graz I got the chance to play in Austria's highest league at the age of 20 - some kind of semiprofessional...
After 7 years in the 1st league I decided to step back a bit and played the last years in the 2nd league.

Michi in action.. :)

Here's one of my alltime-favourite memories:

As you may notice, there's "HIRCZY" on the backside of the "blue" guy - that's my younger brother, who is actually a member of Austria's National team (I'm the "4" above his head *g*). We "battled" each other during a cupmatch between his 1st- and my 2nd-league team. The game took place in our hometown, in exactly the gym where we both learned playing volleyball - a great experience, and a lot of fun...

I've got involved into computers at the age of 12, with my first Commodore64 - without a floppydiskdrive! Without any games to load from the (not available the first 2 monthes) floppy, I had to program everything by myself, and once the power was turned off, everything was gone - thats learning to program, the hard way :)

Of course I'm a collector (which man isn't *g*), so I have some Starwars gimmicks at home, mostly trading cards.

Since my piano is located at my parent's house, 75km away from me, I decided to learn something more portable and came up with a guitar. That happend some years ago, but due to too less spare time I hardly find the time to sit down and play :(.

The Sim Experience

Hmm.. I really can't remember when I got into flightsimming.. I guess at the first moment, I switched on my C64. I didn't realize it that time, but it has to be this moment...
Except Falcon 3.0 (since I owned an Amiga that time, no PC), I must have played them all - including Sublogic simulator on a friend's pc. You can imagine how jealous I was, when I realized that there is nothing comparable on the Amiga.

That's it... questions anyone? ;)

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
https://f16simulator.net

Marvin

Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:05:58 AM »
Michi,

Nice post!

I too had an loved my Amiga!   Speaking of which, Amiga had an incredible sim for the time called CAP (Combat Air Patrol) you could fly either an F-14 or F-18 in the Gulf war, as well cordinate the ground attacks.  Pretty sophisticated for the time!  You even had working radio channels such as guard, tower, etc.  Always wondered why that sim never continued like Falcon as they were pretty much the competition at the time!

Jody

Offline Flareless

• General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »
All this Amiga talk reminds me of the old Commodore/Atari wars way back when.  This is back when Atari was in everyone's good books and making some of the best gaming computers out there.  When I started, though, the Amiga and new cool Atari ST lines were years off.  I had an Atari 800.  I liked it better because it could expand to 64K and had a real (as opposed to tactile) keyboard.

Still, I played Microprose F-15 Strike Eagle with 2 joysticks.  The second worked the weapons and my buddy and I would have a blast for hours.

Great bio Michi!  Thanks.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Angela Deth

Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »
Nice to see your bio MiHi =)

My first computer was a TRS-80  (good ol' "trash 80") with a whopping 16k of RAM and a tape drive!  Years later I graduated to Vic-20, then a Commodore64.  I actually wrote a Lunar Lander game for the C64 - just for my own amusement.  When I was in college I had a TRS-80 pocket computer  (I bet not too many of you have seen that one) with a plotter printer!

Now I have a bunch of old C64 games I can run on my pocket PC with an emulator =P  Things sure have changed...

Offline Flareless

• General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 07:06:09 PM »
Who remembers the Sinclair?
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Mike Powell

Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 12:05:53 AM »
I had a Sinclair calculator. It came as a kit. Then I bought a "real" computer: a VIC-20. Still have it! It came with a cassette drive for "mass storage".

Offline Flareless

• General
    • Awards
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 07:22:44 AM »
Wow, the Vic 20.  I almost forgot about that little piece of history.  6K was it not?  Still I'll bet there are till a bunch of model train enthusiasts using bot the Vic & Sinclairs in their setups.  That was a big use for them back when I sold them retail.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Feathers

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 09:57:05 AM »
Well I don't know what a Sinclair computer is but there is a Sinclair Gas Station around the corner.  :-)
Jim

Angela Deth

Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 10:11:35 AM »
I remember the Sinclair.  Never had one though.  

Also don't know why but I put "Amiga" in my post when I meant Commodore Vic-20... I did have an amiga later after the the C-64 though...

Marvin

Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 10:12:28 AM »
Quote from: "Mike Powell"
I had a Sinclair calculator. It came as a kit. Then I bought a "real" computer: a VIC-20. Still have it! It came with a cassette drive for "mass storage".

Ahh yes, the VIC-20!  Those were the days!  I remember no matter what I did I would always get the famnous reply!  "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE"   :lol:

Jody

a_breytie

The Sinclair computers
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 08:41:51 AM »
The Sinclairs
Dreamed up by (later SIR) Clive (methinks) Sinclair. The same guy who designed an electric urban car(t) that no-one could do without - and no-one wanted. A few years ago you could still get the motors at clearance sales for a fraction of the real cost.
Yep, I had some of them. First a ZX80. single PCB that included the membrane keyboard, 4 chips as the main chipset, 1k ram, thin plastic chassis/cover. DIY kit. It worked. Just.
Then followed the ZX81 and the Spectrum - bigger and fancier and pre-built. Magazines published dozens of DIY expansion projects for them.

The Commadore Amiga 2000 was a machine way before it's time. It was a pro and home computer that could genlock to external video sources, play poliphonic sound, do advanced DTP work, even do video animation - generally kicked that butts of all computers of it's time and a few yoars later.

AAHH - the good old days!

Andre SimNut

Marvin

Re: The Sinclair computers
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 09:16:52 AM »
Quote from: "a_breytie"
The Commadore Amiga 2000 was a machine way before it's time. It was a pro and home computer that could genlock to external video sources, play poliphonic sound, do advanced DTP work, even do video animation - generally kicked that butts of all computers of it's time and a few yoars later.

Andre SimNut

ANdre,

Yes the 2000 was a kick ass system!  I use to do a lot of video animation with Light Rave (I think it was called) very powerful stuff..  Too bad Amiga's crashed, cause I think they would totally be more powerful than PCs today.

Jody

Marvin

Re: The Sinclair computers
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 09:17:07 AM »
Quote from: "a_breytie"

Andre SimNut

ANdre,

Yes the 2000 was a kick ass system!  I use to do a lot of video animation with Light Rave (I think it was called) very powerful stuff..  Too bad Amiga's crashed, cause I think they would totally be more powerful than PCs today.

Jody

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal