• Dot Users Online:

* Recent Topics/Posts

Hello from Canada by ChrispyBiscuit99
[April 30, 2024, 06:49:56 AM]

DCStoF4 (Standalone version) by questerymj
[April 20, 2024, 12:50:58 PM]

Last BMS version and the CANOPY SPIDER by mihi4
[April 20, 2024, 11:57:37 AM]

Author Topic: Any DCS A-10CII flyer?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Any DCS A-10CII flyer?
« on: July 06, 2023, 05:33:44 AM »
Hey guys,

I am taking a break from the falcon and started flying the A-10 for tank plinking :)
I have a few questions about key bindings reconfiguring my pit and I wonder if there are a few guys amongst you in there facing the same challenges so we can maybe discuss it more constructively than the BS on the native forum :)

Chime in in you fly the A-10 in DCS, i'd love to get your opinions on many questions
Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Re: Any DCS A-10CII flyer?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 11:08:56 AM »
I've flown the A10C quite a bit in DCS. Haven't flown it recently though. It is a great aicraft. I can probably answer some questions.

I also have a set of A10 knobs in case you are interested in making a second simpit.
 :D :outthewindow:
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Atlas

• General
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 12:07:45 PM »
I flew the A-10A a lot in FC2/FC3 and jumped into the A-10C from beta.  However, stopped really flying DCS a long time ago due to the usual issues plaguing that system today.  I did buy the A-10CII "just cuz".... I plan to try it again soon in VR, but no rush at the moment.  Stupid pointy-nose-airplane taking up all my time!!   :grumbl:   :harhar:

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 02:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the input and Sorry gents it took so long for me to answer.

Flying the A-10 is intense. That thing is slow but avionics work is deep.

Since I fly it with a F-16 designed pit, the biggest challenge I have are the HOTAS controls
Stick is fine, but trying to get all the warthog throttle functions on the Cougar is a bit too much.
For instance I was surprised to realise that the TGP FOV and TGP polarity are not set by OSB buttons like in the F-16 (at least in the F-16 you can do both the HOTAS or the OSB)
In the A-10 they are only set through HOTAS function. There's no OSB button for them.
When using a F-146 throttle that kinda complicates your setup

Sure I could use a warthog throttle, but then adapting that beast on the side console isn't pretty or practical.

So
I also have a set of A10 knobs in case you are interested in making a second simpit.
that would be indeed the best option :)
Not sure I'm willing too though

In the meantime, if you guys tried to make your life complicated like me and the example above, don't hesitate to spread your experience :)

TMS, DMS, CMS and cursors are easy, they all like the F-16s
What's more complicated are
The Coolie hat on the warthog throttle (that's been assigned to either the TMS or DMS shifted layer so no big deal here)
The boat switch and the chinese hat switch though are needed for avionics (TGP and SPI) and you really need these.

1. Except for the T6/T7 master mode switch on the throttle I don't see much of a possibility that maintains the integrity of the switch (2 pos or slider)
master mode in the A-10 doesn't work like in the F-16 so you don't realy need the T6/T7 switch in that configuration
but then of course it's not MOM and the boat and chinese hat switch have short and long press...

2. easiest is to assign them to a 4 position hat (TMS or DMS on the stick) one vertically, the other horizontally. Makes thing less elegant than finding two two-ways switches but works

Anyway if you guys were in that position before, let me know how you handled it :)
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

Offline JCook

• General
  • Callsign: "Anger"
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 10:23:22 PM »
The DCS A10C is a lot of fun. If you're really intent on using the F16 simpit to fly it I think it will be a challenge. At some point I had hoped to also have an A10 simpit next to my Viper - but I may have to settle for something else. The A10C's cockpit has a lot more panels and analog gauges - I think it would be a much harder build for me.

What I am planning, which you may wish to consider, is a desktop panel with MFDs, maybe a few switches and the Buddy-Fox UFC. That along with the TM Warthog gives you just about everything you need. I would recommend changing the target designator on the A10's throttle - there are some drop in replacements available.
Takeoffs are optional...landings are mandatory

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 05:58:42 AM »
Yeah, I agree. Building a second pit - even a desktop pit - and using the TM warthog setup would be ideal.
Yet managing two cockpit is not so easy and I can't really devote 100% of my flying time to the A-10? I come back regularly to the F-16 hence why I prefer to work the hard way to ensure the F-16 pit remains the sole interface for multiple platforms.

That said, there are many common feature between the F-16 ad the A-10C
The MFDs, the UFC is almost like the ICP and I can easily accept to omit a few side console section features.
With a little bit of imagination you can implement most of the important features.
This creative thinking for instance makes me join the F-16 EPU with the A-10's APU. The 3 main armament switches with some switches on the AUX panel.
The gear, master arm, laser arm, all remains the same and that's quite useable.

The biggest challenges so far are to create extra full position state switches like canopy and many others because they are not implemented in the default A-10 keybinds. They are just offered as toggles
You can create them manually but unfortunately you have to reapply them after each update which is a bit of a pain in the neck.

And the same goes for axis, there are just a very limited axis control by default. Luckily again, these can be created with lua files

So far, beside the missing throttle functions from the Cougar to the Warthog, the hardest control to setup in the pit were the flaps since there'z no such thing as default flpas in the F-16.
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal