Mag switches with DCS by questerymj
[Today at 08:11:05 AM]

USAeroSim DCS F16c CDU Software by snakedoc
[May 10, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

I am a newbie who took off from Japan sir by questerymj
[May 09, 2024, 09:12:07 AM]

Hello from Canada by RonD
[May 05, 2024, 04:00:22 PM]

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Ghostrider313

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« on: September 21, 2023, 11:23:36 AM »
Hello to all.  New to the forum.  Just started flying again.  I fly in DCS and still getting the hang of it.  I used to fly Falcon 4.0 back in the 90s but life and software changes pushed me away.  I am retired now and have time to learn all over again.  Much more sophisticated now. Waiting on a new throttle and an ICP to arrive so I can hone my skills. Looking to build me a desk pit that makes it easier to operate my HOTAS and other items that I have.  Again thanks for having me.

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 12:45:17 PM »
Welcome!

There are more guys building a desktop pit, so read up on this forum  :reading:

That is the best way to prepare yourself for quite a job. By reading, you can learn from the guys that made the path for you. Don't make the mistakes that are already made! Make some new ones yourself  :D
Just kidding, but do take lots of pictures. For yourself, and of course for us  :whistle:

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 01:22:20 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline Fhyndoh

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 05:49:49 PM »
Hello! Welcome.
Gentlemen, it is time, don your cider visors and follow me!"

Cougar FCC#19 (01533), Homemade ICP, 2 masterpilots, CH pro pedals...empty wallet, BIG smile

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 02:03:29 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Snoopy

• General
  • Flying Snoopy Airways
  • VP Awards Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 02:04:10 AM »
Welcome here!

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • https://f16simulator.net
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 04:38:05 AM »
Welcome! :cheerleader:
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
https://f16simulator.net

Offline Zeight

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 08:20:23 AM »
Welcome. The building never ends.  :outthewindow:

Offline Ghostrider313

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 09:41:46 PM »
Thanks for all the welcomes.  I have been learning how to fly all over again, but the sims have come a long way since the 90s.  I had to get a new computer, luckily, I got a Dell Alienware R-13 for about half price.  Since then I have originally purchased a X-56 HOTAS set and have already replaced the stick with a warthog stick and have the new Viper TQS coming next month.  I also got Turtle Beach rudder pedals. I purchased a set of Cougar MFDs.  I also have purchased a ICP and DED from Simgears, just waiting for UPS to pick it up and get it on the way.  I currently use desk clamp mounts for my HOTAS, but it is going to get tricky when my TQS shows up.  So my goal is to build something that is movable as my desk is not suited for all of these things.  I want to build the center main instrument panel with small sides to mount my HOTAs to. The floor will have the rudder pedals and the center console.  This is my goal.  So in short I am looking for some plans to build the center console and go from there.  Navigating thru all the treads here is not getting me anywhere.  So if anyone has some leads on where to go it would be greatly appreciated. :ThumbsUp:

Offline Nomad

• Col.
  • VP Awards Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 09:54:03 PM »
Welcome from Arizona
Bell206/407 EuroEC135/EC145/BK117/AS350B3E/B2
F16/P51/Cessna172/177/182/206/210/310

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2023, 07:00:58 AM »
Welcome from Italy  :ThumbsUp:

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline salaxi54

• General
  • VP Awards Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum Money Saver: Given to those that try to keep cost to a minimum Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 02:00:00 AM »
@Ghostrider313 : While there are plans for a full rig to build, available to purchase (eg. @Thunder ), your case is a custom one.
Lots of parameters to consider for what you want to build, especially talking about a partial pit. Even your desk size matters!
(height clearance, thickness of desk surface, existance of drawers etc.) Thus, if i were you, i'd have two choices:
1. draw custom plans according to my personal needs
2. have someone do it for me
Of course your pit's hardware (electronics, mechanics etc.) would have to be considered, even your future-planned gear. By the way, are you planning on adding an ACES seat to the package?

Offline Ghostrider313

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 10:35:42 AM »
If I had pit plans I could make modifications to the plan for what I need.  I will not be adding an ACE II seat, I have had too many hours sitting in one and they are by no means comfortable.

Offline Red Dog

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 04:35:35 AM »
Welcome

A deskpit is the ideal solution. Quite frankly you barely need the side consoles when flying. You mostly need them at ramp. Not saying you never need them but you need them less often enough that to manage that with mouse or any other way doesn't really impact your flying.

MFD, ICP, DED and eventually a screen in the middle for the instrument + the two AUX consoles with gear panel/CMDS/TWA and HMCS on the left and caution panel and eventually the right gauges on the right side is really all you need.
and that's already quite a lot of work.

There are multiple ways to get there depending on what you want to achieve
the easy way is to look at Winwing which are into modular cockpit offering simple and flexible solutions
or
go the hard way and stick to an aircraft model and try to replicate a front panel of the F-16 with lack of plans but many different dimensions, then choosing an interfacing software then buying a lot of parts with price fluctuating from how accurate you wan these parts to be.

last word from my experience:
Sticking to a single model aircraft is not flexible - especially when flying DCS
Building multiple pits for multiple aircraft is too time consuming '(and costly)
A true discrete compromise between these two point is a good thing to plan ahead.
=> my pit is F-16 but I can fly F-18, A-10C and if I want to fly F-15E, that is quite possible as well with a minimum of hassle.

Good luck and you're in the right place to get help so don't hesitate to use us :)

Have a bandit day - Red Dog
Red Dog flight sim's stuff
Red Dog models
Red Dog PPL
Red Dog Discord: 947914531772964865

Offline Ghostrider313

• Captain
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 04:27:43 PM »
thanks for the insight Red Dog.  Got a set of plans from Invictus.  Going to try and modify them to fit my needs.  Just think I heed HOTAS forward.  I think my hardest part in the long run will be gauges on the left side.  But I can past them for a while.  Still learning how to fly and how to land without crashing.  I think the Viper TQS that I have coming in a couple weeks will help.  Just order screens for my MFDs.  It is going to be a challenge to get it done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal