Wolverine's F16 Block 52 by Wolverine
[December 01, 2017, 02:27:16 AM]

Symulate Cockpit Plans by Symulate
[November 30, 2017, 02:05:26 PM]

BMS 4.33 U4 is here. by Icarus
[November 30, 2017, 03:45:45 AM]

Azul's Pit by Azul
[November 29, 2017, 04:07:10 AM]

Author Topic: Added download section!  (Read 5662 times)

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Added download section!
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »
Hi guys!

We used to have some amazing downloads here on VP back in the old days. With the crash most of it was lost.

I would like to see all of us pitching in and adding some of the interesting files we all have to this shared download section on Viperpits.

What I find VERY important:

Please add proper copyrights, kudos, hails and all that to the original author/creator of the file you're adding. If you are not sure who the creator was, ask help on the forum to determine who it is.

Downloads: http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?action=downloads

To add a download right now: http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=add;

Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline mrwell

• General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Added download section!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:05:49 AM »
Thank you! That is a back step that push us forward!  :clap: :beer2: :yihaw:

Offline Wolverine

• General
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:53:44 AM »
Thanks for your work  :thumbsup:

sorry for my english!!                                                Italian journal of my pit!!

Offline tiger

• Major
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »
Working Great. This is really a fantastic improvement!  :yihaw: :beer:

Tiger

Offline AlbertJ

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
Great work!  :thumbsup:

I just put some files in the general folder for download

Offline Hempstead

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community
    • Hempstick Official Site
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
For a couple of straggler files here and there, this is perfect! But for more complicated inter-dependent file set like the community plan, this eventually is going to be a maintenance nightmare when the number of files increases. Plus, it doesn't not really encourage collaboration.

What I would suggest is that we create a VP GitHub account (free), and under there create a couple of repositories for more organized projects that have many files (stragglers still can use the great download posts).

Individual projects, like my 3D models, PHCC, and the community plans and what have you can setup their own GitHub repositories, Google Code repositories, or even privately run Git servers to facilitate collaboration. Individual projects just go on their own pace and collaborate in anyway they want. Then, when they deem a release is warranted, they issue a simple command to mirror to VP's GitHub repositories.

Download pages simply list the information of the files, and provide URLs to the GitHub hosted files, an example is the Left Aux Console download I tested. I would say each project provides one or more download post, and each post lists all the files with URLs pointing to the GitHub hosted files. Or, even better, provide a project page on VP and lists all the file information and URLs.

Note that, since the files are really hosted by GitHub, the storage and bandwidth burden are shouldered by GitHub, not VP. And we encourage people to collaborate on their projects in a more organized way.

Now, if you don't run your own Git server like I do at home, you can even run your own GitHub repository on your local disk without a server, and still be able to mirror to GitHub for publication purpose. A simple git mirror command will get all your files up to GitHub so you don't have to worry about missing something. And there is even a SmartGit GUI for free to ease your command line blue.

And the best thing about Git is like what Linus Torvalds said "Real men don't do backups, they publish it and let the world duplicate it." You publish your Git repository, I clone it and I got EVERYTHING. If for some reason GitHub goes to the toilet, we can take my clone and restore the whole thing, including every single revision down to the last character. Server crash losing download files? Not going to happen again, as long as there is a clone out there that has everything. Well, if I mirror mine to GitHub, my home Git server as everything if GitHub goes and vice versa.

What do you guys think?

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »
@Hempstead,

I think you're on the money here. I see your point regarding the evolving projects.

I suggest we somehow create a separate category in the download section (for instance just "Gits") and link there. To the community plans, DEDuine ( @uri_ba ?) etc.

Personally I would think that you two, you and uri_ba should be administrators for this download section and for the VP git, besides the administrators already on here. I'll have a chat with Mike and Mark to see what they think.

Thank you for thinking about how to best serve the community.

Off-Topic: show

You do realise that most of us, including myself, have little to no knowledge of Github. We could really use a primer on how to set things up and how to replicate to our own computers (mostly Windows). Are you willing to provide that primer/tutorial?

Good thinking !  :thumbsup:

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:23:07 AM »
Hi Kim,
I asked Mike a long time ago to remove or re-name the Downloads section because there were two of them and it's REALLY confusing. Now there are two again. Can you re-name one of them? Call it User Downloads or something...just a suggestion

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 04:26:21 AM »
I don't get it. Two? !

Do you have a screenshot?

www.castcrafter.com

Offline amido

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 05:11:29 AM »
 :yihaw: :beer:
thanks thanks thanks

Offline tiger

• Major
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
I don't get it. Two? !

Do you have a screenshot?
Here are two screenshots. One in in the head of the page the other as a Forum topic on the Forum page. The forum topic also has a list of downloadable items which do not seem to work any more..

Regards
Tiger

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
Ok, @Nigel and @tiger , good call there. I removed the new Download Announcements board. New downloads will be automatically posted in the original Downloads board under the Viper Builders category.

Maybe we can recover some of the files that are in the older downloads topics. Help appreciated ;)

www.castcrafter.com

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:31:24 AM »
I would like you guys to add some more files to the download section! How about it ;)

www.castcrafter.com

Offline tiger

• Major
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
Hi AiRdAncE,
I think I messed up the section target for the dim upload. You might want to correct that.

tiger