F-16 fuselage by Predator
[May 18, 2017, 01:47:23 PM]

YetY´s pit by YetY
[May 17, 2017, 06:43:55 AM]

TiTi's pit by wralex
[May 15, 2017, 12:36:01 PM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[May 13, 2017, 09:58:45 PM]

Author Topic: Henkie's pit  (Read 374150 times)

Offline sagrzmnky

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
Re: Henkie's pit
« Reply #1230 on: May 12, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
:-[  it is just a box with some 15 connectors and a bunch of wires between them.
The drawing only shows that by thinking about a (sub)project first  helps to clarify things, avoids doing work twice, or forget things. This drawing took two weeks time, thinking/changing/adding components every day!  But as it is now, I am pretty sure I have it all covered  (I hope ...)  :whistle:

Started drilling and filing the right side bracket to connect FQS, Marker Beacon etc.
I will take pictures as I make progress  :cheerleader:

I did something similar. I made a plastic junction box behind the center pedestal. All connectors from the G.S. and Center Ped. go into the front of the box. AIC and Pokeys connectors come out of the back of the box. There is a wiring nightmare inside that little box though...
Phillip "Grease Monkey" Clark

My build thread
http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=6942.0
 Pokeys, x-keys, Mike's panels, Ribbstick, TM HOTAS

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #1231 on: May 13, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
Drilling, filing and (a little) sanding done  :bounce2:
I use standard L-shape aluminium from the local hobby shop (20x40 mm) to mount the sub-D connectors and the "power supply" jacks. The three profiles mount on a small aluminium plate. Inside is a small perfboard PCB on which I will solder the anti-ghosting diodes, as it is not everywhere possible to have the diodes directly connected to the switches.
On the outside, which will be the "bottom" side is also a perfboard PCB mounted, a bit larger. I plan to solder the dimmer power electronics for the Center section on this PCB. The dimmer signal itself comes from the (INT) LIGHTING panel, but that is just a "low-energy" signal. It was easier to have a "high-power" signal directly from the LIGHTING panel, but that would increase the chance of EMI.

@sagrzmnky : I have not yet started soldering the wiring, I am still working on the detailed wiring diagrams!
But yeah, it will be some extra work to keep the mess at acceptable levels Phillip   ::)
But once the box is mounted underneath the HUD the mess is no longer visible, just the clean box   :harhar:

Offline mrwell

• General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1232 on: May 13, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
Always clean and inspiring. Hats off  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline mcfrag0815

• 1st.LT
  • Rookie
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1233 on: May 13, 2017, 10:00:39 PM »
This is way cool and a great way to keep the cable-chaos controllable  :thumbsup:

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1234 on: May 14, 2017, 02:52:23 AM »
Lovely work mate!!
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1235 on: May 15, 2017, 06:46:21 AM »
Thanks guys.
I have one side completely wired, so good progress made this weekend.
However, while working on it I discovered that I forgot one mini jack socket  :DOH:
It IS in the drawing, I simply overlooked it somehow while drawing the drill points on the metal   :taz:
It's gonna be fixed (of course)   :whistle:

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1236 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:12 AM »
Finished   :cheerleader:
The small PCB is for the anti-ghosting diodes that could not be wired directly to several switches (e.g. FQS and TWP).
Next "fun" job . . . making cables that go from where-ever to this "Center Connection Box"   ::)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1237 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Damn Henkie, you are just a smart man  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Sandman

• Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #1238 on: May 20, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
Henkie-

Where do you find the time to do everything so neatly?

You have been a great inspiration to me!  Keeping written records of the wiring plan, any modifications, color coded wiring, shrink insulation to solder cups, wire ties (old school).

Keep up the great work!

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1239 on: May 20, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
... :thumbsup: !!!
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1240 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:08 PM »
@Sandman : Mark, I do a lot of preparation "on paper", to avoid precious time thinking "do I got it right?" when the soldering iron is hot ;D  I am "blessed" with an understanding wife who really wants to see me go off to my hobby room when she wants to watch BB (The Bold and the Beautiful") and the home renovation programs that follow. Thus, I have every weekday from 6 PM till 8 PM for building, constructing and designing/testing. On Saturday I like to go to my "shed" 9 km drive from home where I have my vintage computer collection (nope, not a single PC there). On Sunday afternoon I often can do some work on my pit as well. So, I do indeed have "some" time   :whistle:

Today I installed the TWP in my pit. It is the third incarnation. The first one had white push-buttons and they were totally wrong (only lit or non-lit). The second version used Jay-El push-buttons with separate lightable upper and lower section with the lenses from Mike. Nice. Those are on auction now (here on VP of course)   ;D
But then came @Redneck along with his one-time "group buy" of lovely lenses with engraving and white paint. I was one of the lucky buyers, because Redneck is no longer making them. They are really nice as you can see in the attached picture.
Sorry, nothing lites up as an "Xmas tree" (yet)  --  busy with connection cables for the coming weeks   ::)

Offline YetY

• 2nd. LT
  • Brand new newbie!
    • Awards
« Reply #1241 on: May 21, 2017, 01:03:33 PM »
That TWP looking really good!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
YetY

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1242 on: May 21, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »
Very nice Henk (and I'm jealous of your building time during the week!!)
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline Redneck

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1243 on: May 21, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »

But then came @Redneck along with his one-time "group buy" of lovely lenses with engraving and white paint. I was one of the lucky buyers, because Redneck is no longer making them. They are really nice as you can see in the attached picture.
Sorry, nothing lites up as an "Xmas tree" (yet)  --  busy with connection cables for the coming weeks   ::)

Hi Henkie

The lenses wernt designed by me but 87thBlade made those, but ill take the credits :harhar:.

Since Blade is out of the buiseness but still a personal friend, i discussed with him to do another run of those lenses. I have his original files and can be send to the laser facillity.
Like i said Blade isnt active anymore nor does have the time to paint the lenses, i am also buisy with other f-16 related projects and dont have the time to paint the needed text white.

But i am willing to organise a new groupbuy, i already wanted to organise it earlier but didnt had the time to put it up.

Ill put up a new thread in the forum this week, just to keep henkies build thread clean.

Henk you keep amazing me again with youre skills. Nice job.

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1244 on: May 21, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »
Oooops!   :DOH:
Apology to @87th Blade  -- his lenses are really rocking, especially because the white paint was also done. If I got the lenses without the white paint done, they would most likely still be in wrapping in the box   :-[   So, my thanks go to @87th Blade    :clap:

@Redneck : a group buy is always welcomed. Not everybody has *all* needed skills  :whistle:
The posted picture of the TWP is a 50% size image of the original. If you want the "full size" image, just let me know.