DTU discussion by Rufus
[October 09, 2017, 12:46:11 PM]

Willy's Pit by Moon
[October 08, 2017, 06:17:00 AM]

DTU by Kukki
[October 06, 2017, 09:03:43 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[October 04, 2017, 02:24:37 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 775162 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #1395 on: January 03, 2017, 04:28:40 AM »
While looking through the stash for SMD leds, I found this:

I thought it woulkd be cool to have it working to count the flying hours of the pit.
Any one of you guys implemented such a function? Any ideas how to make it work?

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Focaldesign

• General
  • VP Awards : King for a Day Award: Awarded for an exemplar contribution to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:06 AM »
I know @henkie was implementing something similar, he might know an answer.
By the way, maybe you already know, but the real jet (at least BAF MLU I know of) have a similar counter below the oxygen panel, labeled "events". According to a former crew chief it's to count the number of JSF starts to keep track of up coming maintenance.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1397 on: January 03, 2017, 05:27:41 AM »
Thanks mate, i actually didn't know about the event window in the mlu. I sat in many of them but never quite noticed. :)
thanks for the info, i'll go looking into henkie's topic
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:29:45 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline tiger-31

• General
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1398 on: January 03, 2017, 05:46:24 AM »
cool detail if implemented

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1399 on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:49 AM »
Yeah, it's cool. But i'm afraid it will need 115v ...
so i might not be able to use this particular one, but finding 12v shouldn't be too complicated
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:17:57 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1400 on: January 03, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
Yes - I found some of those on Ebay as well...they need 115V/400 Hz and are simple power on/off activated counters or clocks.  Might want to experiment and see if they will function on 115V/60 Hz.  Could be possible...maybe.
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Henk's Viperpit developments
    • Awards
« Reply #1401 on: January 03, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
If you want *real* instruments operational in your pit, you will need 115V AC 400 Hz.
@Rufus : you have 115 VAC 400 Hz (for the ADI); such a time counter is typically a load of ~3 Watts.

Be prepared to open the trash can if you want to run a 115V 400 Hz time counter on 115V 60 Hz  :whistle:

ISTR that I have seen these time counters designed for 24V DC ...

On my Right Side, below NUCLEAR CONSENT, I added two indicators. The "bars" indicator will change to an orange horizontal stripe when 24V DC is present, the time counter will run when 115V AC (400 Hz) is present.

Offline Rufus

• General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #1402 on: January 03, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
@henkie - I was just re-thinking this...if it's a clock, it probably uses 400 Hz for a time base; but if it's a simple counter it may work with other AC freqs as long as it gets a 115 VAC trigger.  Maybe?
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1403 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
NO. The impedance of a coil is "jwL" (where "j" is the imaginary sqrt(-1)), "w" is omega (equals 2*PI*frequency) and "L" is the coil inductance.
As you can see, the impedance is linearly depending on the frequency. If you try to run the time counter at 60 Hz (I am even not thinking about running time incorrectly), the coil impedance will be 400/60, causing a current ~7x as high as for which it is designed. My guess is you will see "magic smoke"  :bounce2:

For that reason I did not want to think about running time incorrectly -- it will probably not run at all (or very briefly)  :whistle:

Offline Rufus

• General
    • Awards
« Reply #1404 on: January 03, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »
I bow to your expertise, Henkie... :hail: ...I do in fact remember some of this stuff...from a long time ago, when I was young... :whistle: .

I bookmarked these, which ship US only, but the spec info may be useful -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-3-Electrodynamics-Mil-Spec-Aircraft-Odometer-Time-AC-Hour-Meter-D95C8DF3-/232023212840?hash=item3605a94328:g:REIAAOSwqfNXkoLj&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-3-Electrodynamics-D95C8DF3-Aircraft-Odometer-Time-Hour-Meter-AC-115V-400Hz-NEW-/262661215705?hash=item3d27d415d9:g:XIEAAOSwmLlX9opp&vxp=mtr

I was planning on using one of these - switched by a DPDT on by BATT or MAIN POWER - to record operating time on my pit, seeing as it will run on 6, 12, 24, 36, 48 60, 72, and 80 VDC; as I choose -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/hobbs.php?clickkey=2559915
- Rufus

Offline henkie

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #1405 on: January 03, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
 :harhar:  I no longer consider myself to be member of "the young crew", and I admit that I have forgotten a lot too  :-\
Those are good links. Searching in "Avionics" for "time" or "elapsed time" will give a few, but beware to *total* cost. Alhough it is not allowed by eBay rules, some of them are relatively cheap, but shipping cost will "compensate"  :o
Take a few eeks to find a good deal. At least, you are on the right side of the pond  :D

BTW, IMHO, in this case size does matter  :harhar:
The smaller, the more cute (and probably more expensive  :whistle:)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1406 on: January 03, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
Far from me the idea to put any 115v in the pit
I think I'll revert to some boats or trucks hourmeter in 12 or max 24v

BTW, IMHO, in this case size does matter  :harhar:
The smaller, the more cute (and probably more expensive  :whistle:)
Unfortunately I agree and the above come in larger size :)

Thank you for the input anyway :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #1407 on: January 10, 2017, 04:25:05 AM »
The ICP backplate was bent as precise as possible and the thumbwhells have been tested inside their assembly.
the pots have all their 5 contacts bent at 90° inside the thumbwheel assy. the pot actually doesn't rotate so although the bent pin exit the wheel assy inside the ICP behind the backplate it doesn't create any issue at all. (maybe just a need to isolate the back of the backplate to prevent both button contacts points to short.

the issue for me was to make the backplate fit the hud support which is a big piece of resin. for stability issues, i left the resin front face behind the old ICP backplate. But this now needed to be removed to let the wheels and new connector go through.

While looking around for solution to update the old Drit's ICP, i obviously came to the Vipercore (AIC) solution.
I just received the latest ICP PCP from Arend (thanks a million mate) and i was really flabbergasted by the quality and professional level of the hardware in our hobby nowadays.
I started cockpit puilding in 2004, that's 12 years ago and back then there wasn't much. the picture below really summarize very well the hobby evolution:

Top left, when i started the PCBs looked like that
then they slighly evolved to the quality of Drit's PCB  (top right)
then we had the industrial green PCBs double side and already very pro (bottom left) and now the really top of the shelf quality work the latest ICP PCB from vipercore with tiny buttons and tiny smds ... (bottom right)
That doesn't make us any younger folks :)

I'm looking at that picture looking back at a decade of building a cockpit and i'm amazed by the progress we/you guys made
Hat's off to the individuals getting solution for the others and making hi end quality products, hat's off to this community which although not perfect has remained sane, openminded, and above all the rest helpful for the next guys.
I'm proud to be part of it even in such a small way compared to some

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #1408 on: January 10, 2017, 04:29:35 AM »
Oliver that is some good work  :thumbsup:
It look like a tight fit, so be carefull with the rasin part.

Looking forwart to see and hear about it when its 100% done.

Good work my friend  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Sparrow 23

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Col.
  • VP Awards : Triplet Award: Awarded after 3 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #1409 on: January 31, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
this is truly awesome and shouldn't be passed the first page in the topic page..bump