HUDBLOCK FLOODLIGHT BRACKET by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:31:30 AM]

CANOPY SPYDER by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:29:35 AM]

HUD GLASS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:27:01 AM]

IR-SENSOR - NATO ICP BACKPLATE by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:23:09 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 717700 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #930 on: January 09, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »
Well, It looks like I've been too busy flying to update my thread correctly...
I think I never posted my HSI solution after all the trouble I went through trying to implement that instrument.

Salvation came from Lightning (again) who convinced me to revert to a VGA 3.5 inch instead of a TVout 5 inch.
So I went for it and got a 3.5 inch from AvionicLCDs though David who was kind enough to add one for me on his order, many thank again :)

The bad news is that the screen is too small for the HSI. But since the EHSI is smaller than the mechanical HSI, it's doable. Yet you loose some 5-7mm in height using this display.
The good news is that you can keep the INSTR MODE PANEL and embed the 3.5 inch display into the EHSI casing which in this case was homemade in plasticard as always :)
The idea of avoiding cutting into my CP did the trick for me and from there I was sold.

So display arrived quickly and I started right away with the casing. It's made based on the real one but of course I had to compromize so the display would fit correctly.
Took me about a week-end. The M mode button is implemented with a microswitch and the HDG and CRS knobs are implemented with pulse buttons I got in the past (those always replace encoders in my pit)
The HDG and CRS are swapped in place
I don't use the M button for now as I do still have access to the mode knob

The software was done by Danny, EHSI and works like a charm. Somehow, I can't use Falcongauge on that screen, as soon as I try, I get a falcongauge window black with white lines and nothing come out of it.
Yes the screen is left of MAIN, it uses the same vid drivers as the other. But since EHSI works fine, no big deal

Here's the stuff installed in the pit. I've been enjoying that one in flight for a couple months now, it's a blast.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:33:21 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #931 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:22 AM »
Hey Mica,

Although I was not the one asked, I thought I'ld help you with my answer.

Every year two or three members of the VP community that have near-ready pits decide to drop out either because the fun is gone or for financial reasons.

That will be the only chance you'll have at buying a pit, but never expect a plug-and-play pit - you'll have to invest time and money to get a pit going and every pit has it's quircks; things that are unique to that particular pit which if they have not been told to you by the previous owner will keep you busy for quite a while.

There are companies (among others a danish one) that sell ready made pits. Prices are from USD 65.000 and up. Those pits generally illuminate the outside view and MFDs/RWR with one single projector located in front of the pit. Picture quality is far from good and the resolution of MFDs and RWR is the lowest of the low.
However, this might suit your needs.

In short - don't expect to pay a bucketload of money and be flying in less than a week. It simply is not like that.

The quickest build I've seen here is more or less two years of hard work; don't expect anything less there either ;)
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #932 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
Wrong thread Kim  :harhar:
Is there a special award for that  :-P

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline MicaGR

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #933 on: January 09, 2009, 06:40:49 AM »
Dear Sir

Thank you for your fast reply at my question...It was very helpful what you told me...
Well I don't really have the time to start making a pit of my own so... it would be better for me if I fint a ready one.. so I can buy it and somehow I can connect it to my PC or something so I can use it...

Or perhaps use it as bed :biggrin: cause its one of my dreams to have a pit...
I wish I had a Mirage 2000 pit cause my father was a pilot in Mirage F1 but... I haven't found a home pit perfect as a viper pit...

An other question that I have is....in... HOW...i can find out and know when a member want to sell their own..

Thank you again for all! :-[ 

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #934 on: January 09, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »
Wrong thread Kim  :harhar:
Is there a special award for that  :-P
Wrong thread ? Hehehhe... guess you missed a post then: http://www.viperpits.org/smf/index.php?topic=537.msg62605#msg62605 :P :P

Is there an award for THAT ?  :harhar:

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Tulkas

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #935 on: January 09, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »
Hei Red Dog! Happy to see you finally sort out all problems with your CP, I was wondering about it. Looks impressive as always.

That screen looks great! May I ask how much it costs? I am starting to think how to make the RWR and that one looks to have the correct size.

Cheers

Tulkas

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #936 on: January 09, 2009, 10:46:37 AM »
lol kim,
ok I think I deserve the missed that post award then :)

Mica,
Airdance said it all

Tulkas,
thanks :) cost are around 250-300us$ id I remember right and yes it would beperfectly suitable for the RWR too

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Hatch

• 1st.LT
    • Awards
« Reply #937 on: January 09, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
Hi RD,
COngrats for your EHSI, if I knew you were ordering, I would have ordered with you!  :'(
Are there any people buying this 3.5" LCD, minimum order quantity is 3 pieces??

Hatch

Offline Bebop

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Captain
    • Awards
« Reply #938 on: January 15, 2009, 07:20:44 AM »
Wow RD, that's great solution to the tricky HSI problem!   :hail:

I think I will plan to do the same.

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: January 15, 2009, 07:28:28 AM »
Wow RD, that's great solution to the tricky HSI problem!   :hail:

I think I will plan to do the same.
Heheh... and to think RD copied this one from Rayman... don't praise the wrong Guru ;) :P

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #940 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »
Hi RD,
COngrats for your EHSI, if I knew you were ordering, I would have ordered with you!  :'(
Are there any people buying this 3.5" LCD, minimum order quantity is 3 pieces??

Hatch

I might be interested but I'm concerned about the customs. Olivier, did you pay taxes for it? If yes, how much?

Offline Bebop

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Captain
    • Awards
« Reply #941 on: January 15, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »
Heheh... and to think RD copied this one from Rayman... don't praise the wrong Guru ;) :P

Ahh, I missed that somehow.  Praises to Rayman as well then!   :hail: :hail: :hail:

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #942 on: January 15, 2009, 09:56:03 AM »
Heheh... and to think RD copied this one from Rayman... don't praise the wrong Guru 

Well actually the guru here is lightning, so please praise the correct guru  :-P
So AD, next time investigate further  :-\

Ray uses a 5 inch display which is behind the CP and he had to cut through the wood CP. Then he placed his EHSI bezel on top of the opening.
I don't really like that because I feel the difference between the top of the bezel and the screen is too deep.
Plus that way prevents you to install the INSTR MODE panel, which I wanted to keep.

I used a 3.5inch display following lightning's advice which is placed on top of the wood CP. No need to cut it. Which was the deciding factor for me. (and the TFT is VGA, no TV out CRAP)
Then I made a plastic bezel in different layers (based on  Ray's) bezel and it goes on top of the CP and encase fully the 3.5" display properly so it's almost invisible.

Bottom line, Ray's way is pretty different than the way I did it - but I wouldn't have thought about it if Lightning didn't point the feasability of such a system. So he's the one to praise :)
Since having the EHSI, I praise David (for the idea) and Danny (for his software) and ray's (for sharing his bezel info) aloud anytime I sucessfully intercept a radial  :roll:
that's why I'm always a little bit late lowering the gears. Can't lower it while my arms are up in the air
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:01:38 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #943 on: January 15, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »

Ray uses a 5 inch display which is behind the CP and he had to cut through the wood CP. Then he placed his EHSI bezel on top of the opening.
I don't really like that because I feel the difference between the top of the bezel and the screen is too deep.

You're wrong there Olivier, the top of the CP is from 1,5 mm aluminium, so the display is very close to the bezel!
The 5 " TFT is actualy 1 mm behind the alu frontplate, just enough space for the wires of the encoders.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RGPeters/EHSIon.jpg
Red Dog's pit - I finally started

The space between the TFT and the bezel is no problem at all.

The TV-out works perfect with mine and Danny's and is A LOT cheaper than a VGA (paid only $ 50,- for it...)

But i like the 3.5" also a lot !

It's great that we share our ideas and solutions on the forum, so there's always a solution that fits the need.

Raymond
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:38:44 AM by Rayman »

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #944 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
Well Ray,
no that's exacly what wanted to say. maybe it's fine for you, but it was too deep for me (especially with a smaller display than the real instrument)

the depth between your screen and top bezel is equal to your bezel depth+1mm aluminium, and for me that's too much.
That would be in your case something like 8mm to 10mm deep. Mine is only 2mm.
That's imho another advantage of the 3.5" solution.

TV-out works perfect with mine and Danny's and is A LOT cheaper than a VGA (paid only $ 50,- for it...)
Yep you're right. but I had to buy two and both had the same problem on my rig. So if I wanted to use them, I needed probably to change video cards :) and that's way more money than giving away those 5 inch crap to friends (willing to test them) and buying the VGA :)

great that we share our ideas and solutions on the forum, so there's always a solution that fits the need.
Exactly, that's why I pointed out that the 2 solutions are very different and took the time to explain them. So each next pitbuilder can choose whichever solution suits him best :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog