DTU discussion by Rufus
[October 09, 2017, 12:46:11 PM]

Willy's Pit by Moon
[October 08, 2017, 06:17:00 AM]

DTU by Kukki
[October 06, 2017, 09:03:43 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[October 04, 2017, 02:24:37 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 776458 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #870 on: June 12, 2008, 08:40:45 AM »
Hey Michi, we share the same checklists :) amongst other stuff as we can see on both videos :)

Mike,
I don't have the Beta Innovations gauges (I miss them)
so that won't be possible, but it's a good idea :)
I will have to install a 5th screen there to replace that HSI. Problem is that for the moment, I can't install a third video card without busting my video driver setup which happens to be rock stable at the moment)
Asi gave me some hints about PCIe 1x video cards, i'm studying it and that's probably the road I'll take

Another way would be to use my second computer again, just to drive the smaller HSI TFT networked with Falcongauges. I have to keep things for the future :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #871 on: June 12, 2008, 08:45:27 AM »
What LCD are you using for the HSI?

Click Above For Information

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: June 12, 2008, 09:17:43 AM »
Haven't figured that one out yet Mike ....

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.f16simulator.net
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »
Hey Michi, we share the same checklists :)
:) yeah... Did you know, there's this funny guy on the net, who gives them away _FOR_FREE_ (can you imagine that?) *G*
Must be one of this FRENCH *cough* guys, according to his funny name :-P

BTW, fantastic work on your pit, it still keeps being one of my greatest inspirations!
How is the performance of the MFD exporter doing?

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
www.f16simulator.net

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #874 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »
He's not french, believe me :) He justs speaks french (amongst others) because half of the banana republic he lives in speaks french  :argue:
 :biggrin:

The MFD extractor is great, a bit slow to update but I still need to tweak the export values.
Framerate loss in 3D are not that important, but my system ain't a bad one either.
The good thing is that it works in both 2D and 3D but I have a slight problem in 2D where the top of the left MFD flashes. No idea where it may come from but I'm afraid it may be driver related. Performance is much better in 2D than in 3D but it goes away as soon as you don't look that specific view.
I also had to revert from 1920x1200 to 1600x1200 since in 1920x1200 with OF, you don't get the full MFD view, only the top half. It's annoying but I can live with it.

And thanks to Lightning's clear handbook the setting up is quite easy. takes about half an hour to set the whole thing in motion.

The only thing I didn't try was to install Aeyes specific 3D cockpit, the pictures I have seen don't convince me and I prefer to see a cockpit instead of a big hole below the aircraft frame.

As suggested by a clever guy on the MFD thread, I programmed my Hotas to use the 2D/3D export switching on my Cougar HAT1, on the same macro as the 2D cockpit and 3D cockpit, so that one becomes completely transparent in use.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:23:42 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #875 on: June 12, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »
The good thing is that it works in both 2D and 3D but I have a slight problem in 2D where the top of the left MFD flashes. No idea where it may come from but I'm afraid it may be driver related.
I'm not sure if you saw in the MFD Extractor thread about tweaking your driver's anti-aliasing setting.  Setting it to a fixed value instead of "Application Controlled" (at the driver level, not in Falcon) seems to take care of that problem -- it fixed it on my machine here (on both ATI and Nvidia cards with latest drivers).  I'd be curious if it goes away in this next release or with a tweak to that driver setting, though.

Performance is much better in 2D than in 3D but it goes away as soon as you don't look that specific view.
I also had to revert from 1920x1200 to 1600x1200 since in 1920x1200 with OF, you don't get the full MFD view, only the top half. It's annoying but I can live with it.
Yeah, now that I have a 1920x1200 monitor, I noticed that as well in the #2 view.  In the #1 view, of course, the MFDs are visible on screen at all times, but I'm not sure how many people are actually flying or even doing their ground ops using the #1 view to begin with.  The one good thing about using the 1600x1200 resolution, though, is your 3D FPS rates are better at 1600x1200 than at 1920x1200 :) At least, that's true on my machine.

And thanks to Lightning's clear handbook the setting up is quite easy. takes about half an hour to set the whole thing in motion.
Should be even easier in this coming release, due out Sunday, barring any difficulties.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:11:31 PM by lightning »

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #876 on: September 05, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »
Here I come again :)

Can you guys guess there's some wood cutting ahead
I'm getting ready to plug the 5 inch for the HSI in my CP

No idea if that PCIE1x will be up to the job of driving the HSI, but I'll figure soon enough :)

I'm excited  :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:56:01 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Squid

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Presentation Thread
    • Awards
« Reply #877 on: September 05, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »
Given the small amount of video data for the HSI, it should be OK, since this kind of card is made for replacing integrated video on movie playing computer.
Still in search of something to say ...

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #878 on: September 06, 2008, 01:51:36 PM »
Thanks Squid,

Fighting on two fronts, installing and configuring the video card and the new screen and making it fit.
Piece of advice: Do it when you build your CP, no after like this very fool  :wacko:

It's too tight. I'm not sure I can place it behind the woodwork. Can't dig into the wodd from the surface either (the main screen eats to much place)
So I think I'll have to make a casing in plastic for both the HSI bezel and the blank left plate. Lots of low points doing this but I'm not sure I have the choice
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:56:12 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #879 on: September 07, 2008, 08:25:53 AM »
Olivier,
Cut into the air vent. It looks like you dont need much, half inch maybe? Who would know? Move the PEDAL ADJUST down a little. You can do this.
Also, I should have some news on cutting the screen this week. I am waiting on UV sealant. That might be another answer.
Nigel
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:27:45 AM by Nigel »

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #880 on: September 07, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
Yep, that's a possibility - haven't decided which way to go (I have been staring at that for the whole weekend not being able to cut anything before that 5 inch work fine)

Anyway, here's some more bad news with falcongauges:

Back when I mounted my MFD screens, I got bad display as soon as the falcongauge window was dragged to any of the 2 MFD screens. Those screens are driven by a 7600GT with the same driver as the main video board (8800GT) that drives the main screen for F4 and the CP screen for instruments (Falcongauges works fine on those two screens)
Well, today I connected a spare screen on the PCIE1x 7300GT running the 169.21 driver as well
And I have the very same result with Falcongauge: lined display:

I thought it would be the fact that the PCIe1x is not good enough for the task, but then the 7600GT which has the same problem is a PCIE16x
When I try EHSI instead of Falcongauge, the small app works very well on the 7300 PCIE1x, confirming my feeling

Anyone already encountered the same problem with Falcongauge?
The only thing I can think of is that both cards with the problem are Serie 7 GeForces .. ?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:56:32 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline sugarmate

• Lt. Col
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Johnnakis Myspace profile
    • Awards
« Reply #881 on: September 07, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »
I encountered a similar problem with falcongauges at some point, but I can't really remember how I solved it  :-[

It was with GF 7xxx series card, but that was irrelevant. Hmmm... maybe it was just a matter of making the secondary screen reside on any side but the right of the main screen, that gave the problem. When I dragged it back on the right of the main screen (on Desktop properties dialog), the problem was solved.

I am not sure though if THAT was the problem I had, that was remedied with this approach... the thing is, however, that this problem is most likely solvable...

Give it a try, maybe that was the cure...

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #882 on: September 08, 2008, 03:47:29 AM »
Lol, now that's worth a try indeed

The yhing is there's a bug in windows multi screen stuff when the main screen is not the right most one :)
When a secondary screen is on the right of the main screen, a shifting appears when an DX application runs full screen on the main one.
That shift the application on the secondary screen off the edges => making that application partially invisible.
I encountered this with F4 & falcongauges when F4 was not on the right most screen.

I'll try anyway - thanks

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ghost

• General
  • VP Awards : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: September 08, 2008, 06:13:03 AM »
I fixed that issue within the EHSI software. I know of the problem and is easily solved by updating the screen position of your window every update cycle. But thats for the programmers ofcourse.
Power is useless without control

tango44

« Reply #884 on: September 08, 2008, 09:34:07 AM »
FalconGauges does update window position every cycle, that's how I manage to store the coordinates and any sizing in the config file so that it remembers where and what size you've made the window.