Salaxi54's pit progress by salaxi54
[January 19, 2017, 07:21:47 AM]

270 degree Full Aluminium Screen setup by Kukki
[January 19, 2017, 06:45:59 AM]

Kukki´s Pit v.5.0 by raptor
[January 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by Boomer
[January 18, 2017, 04:15:56 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 645334 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #840 on: May 14, 2008, 05:35:36 AM »
Nigel,

Nope, I never took picture of the case before installing it in my pit.
Here are the best ones I've got - let me know if you want me to dim it up.

As for the MLU question, here's the deal:
The MLU is great but it has no support in falcon. I do use the MLU layout, but I'm sticking with what's supported in Falcon. So that means I have a hybrid between a MLU and a block 52 (CMDS, FLCS, TWA, TWP, ...)
I would vote against doing a MLU unless you can live with the fact that yout pit isn't realist but follows Falcon and not the real bird.

quick summary of the main differences:

- keep the b52 TWA and TWP
- Keep the b52 FLCS panel
- Keep the CMDS instead of the EWMS
- Keep the B52 Misc panel for a minor detail: the Chute. The MLU doesn't have the SILENT/NORM QUIET switch since it's on the HMCS panel so you still can install that one (I did)
- No ECM on the MLU, that's a problem with Falcon. I avoided spending some cash on an ECM panel where only one switch would be used. (the OPR one) I instead chosed to place the ECM OPR switch on the CMDS panel (MSL switch) because if you miss flipping that switch at ramp start, the CMDS will remain DEGR
- No AVTR panel on the MLU either, don't need that one myself so I scrapped that.
- the absence of both ECM and AVTR makes room for the Trackball panel on which I placed the NVIS switch and a Pot for FOV which I don't use anymore thanks to the TIR
- ICP is slightly different, but we don't care as far as functionalities are concerned.
- Jay may say that MLU doen't have the INSTR MODE panel left of the HSI, but that's only from the Tape M3/M4 introducoing the EHSI and lots of MLU in the Belgian AF still have that panel
- Arranging of the caution lights is slightly different... (stay with falcon there)
- labelling on the AV power is different as well, but even Block 52 have it differenty depending on the mod

Basically, I could say I have a black B52 cockpit  :yihaw:
Must I be banned for my lack of realism :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:57:15 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2008, 05:41:05 AM »
Dims would be great, and if you take a bunch of pics of the lid and hinge area that would probably do it. Also, if you can get a dim for where the mounting tabs are located...
Thanks,
Nigel

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2008, 05:44:03 AM »
Will do ASAP
Hinges might be hard to picture as I cut them off

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #843 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »
Nice Progress there RD, it just gets better and better.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope to see more progress from you soon.........Its so cool to se good quality work.

Kukki
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #844 on: May 15, 2008, 04:44:40 AM »
There's no real progress kukki  :-P Just old pictures to answer Nigel's question.
I actually paid Nigel to bump my thread  :harhar:

I'm waiting to get a FLCS panel to make an addition to the left console, apart from that and working with minor details in the pit not worth a progress report, I'm enjoying flying falcon ....

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2008, 04:52:02 AM »
Thanks Olivier,
It looks great. All your changes make sense. The trainer I have was a B40 and has the LOX gauge so for me a Block 50/MLU makes sense. Can we call it a Black 52? Block fiftymoo?
Thanks
Nigel

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #846 on: May 15, 2008, 04:55:58 AM »
Olivier,
Do you remember what trackball you used?
Nigel

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #847 on: May 15, 2008, 05:57:42 AM »
Yes I do :)

that's the one I'm using:
http://www.nsi.be/gk38.htm

not sure if you can buy one there (maybe request a sample ... :))
I got mine from a good friend who had one around

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

ks4au

« Reply #848 on: May 15, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
Where do I go to find the digital info in Falcon to support the indicator lights and the DED?  This is a newbie question, but I had planned to build my pit around MSFS until I discovered Falcon.

I do have a couple of keyboard emulators with macro capabilities (Hagstrom KE-108) so I can handle the inputs, but I have not found where to get the outputs.  I am currently running Allied force, but have the disk for F-4 and have downloaded most of the mods, although I have not installed them yet.

I would appreciate any advice.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #849 on: May 19, 2008, 10:24:09 AM »
My stuff is driven by the UCC: http://users.skynet.be/fa551125/
But Beta Innovation (www.betainnovation.com) is also a possibility

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #850 on: May 19, 2008, 01:30:54 PM »
Yes I do :)

that's the one I'm using:
http://www.nsi.be/gk38.htm

not sure if you can buy one there (maybe request a sample ... :))
I got mine from a good friend who had one around

They don't have a US distributor but I googled panel mount trackballs and I found a whole bunch of cool ones.
Thanks
Nigel

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #851 on: May 26, 2008, 04:47:23 AM »
It's been a while I couldn't enjoy a day of genuine wood cockpit building :)
Luckily, Sunday morning I built the left console extension.
The idea is to place a FLCS panel and move the trim panel there as well. I will also place the TEST panel, but it won't be placed realistically.

It's a simple assembly that will be screwed in the left console.
Since I had the real part and some suitable space, I also implemented the DEFOG handle for eye candy purpose.

And here it is placed alongside the current left console:

Now I just need the FLCS panel to go in there :)

During the week end, I also made extensive maintenance such as activating new UCC lights, replacing the ICP switches with the ones I got from Flightsystems (finally installed them),  fixed my throttle handle which had a wire severed (I have been flying for the past two months without mastermode and without Speedbrake switch => that one really teach you inertia :))
I also angled my ICP/HUD support more upward so I can read the Altimeter and Machmeter better when seated.
Lots of minor stuff but taking quite some time...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:57:41 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline heines

• aviation collector
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #852 on: May 26, 2008, 11:06:38 AM »
very nice RD,
keep up that good work,  :thumbsup:
will you extent also the other side?

cheers heines

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #853 on: May 26, 2008, 12:43:30 PM »
nope, there's isn't much to add on the right.
I will just add the arm rests. And that may lead me to build the sidewalls  which I don't look forward to :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

triggerhappy

« Reply #854 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
I confess ... Sometime, I'm bored with Falcon  :-\
So from time to time, I fly Lomac - Flaming Cliff and it's Su25T and even the A-10 ...

From there, trying to see if it's easily possible to reconfigure the cockpit for a second sim, is a small theoric step... and a rather big jump on the practical side..

But there are some cockpit builders in the Lomac community and they have outstanding Su-25 and Su-27 cockpits and they are working as hard as we do to implement as many functions as possible with sometime many fewer tools than we have ... I'd like to honour them tonight

Sure, i'll never have as many functionnalities as with Falcon but it's good to be able to switch to another sim for a few nights .. and meet new challenges

Sniff.. Sniff.. Dude.. that Is just so nice of you to say..  :thumbsup:

I don't know how many of the LockOn or DCS Pitbuilders read the Viperpit forum (allthough I hope they ALL DO.!). But I'll make sure to mention reading this..

I mean coming from you guys who build cockpits that are just friggin out of this world, this is really a compliment...

Maybe one day we'll reach the level you're  on.. maybe..

504th "Triggerhappy"
Bomber Wing
Su-25 & Su-25T flyer and Ka-50 Pitbuilder
My pit : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=27270