John's F16 pit progress by Willy
[November 07, 2017, 01:45:56 PM]

atsalis_p's Viper Pit by atsalis_p
[November 05, 2017, 05:26:57 PM]

Red Dog's pit - I finally started by Catcher
[November 01, 2017, 09:46:20 AM]

F-16 Egress Trainer by sagrzmnky
[October 31, 2017, 01:24:19 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 794706 times)

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #825 on: February 05, 2008, 11:54:02 PM »

I totaly dont know what that is,   But I wont it. "Dumb Blond's very southern accent" (quoting Jesica Simson for HD TV)  :harhar: :D :harhar:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 02:05:10 AM by Kneeling Warrior »
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #826 on: March 04, 2008, 06:09:06 AM »
Can we see some pics of the left side, of the canopy spider and throttle rail and such ? Thanks

Sure Kim, Sorry it took so long to register :)
Here are the requested pictures:

. The last images shows the throttle handle in Full AB just a tad before conflicting with the ALT GEAR handle... pure luck :)
. On the first image, you may notice the modification I made on Penny Cougar adaptor. I lengthened the part so the contact with the rail remain constant and solid throughout the course.
. As far as the spider is concerned, I am not sure I have the placement correct. It seems to be as the holes in the vynil side panel match. But I was never able to confirm the action of the deployed spider on the throttle, so I can't be sure where the contact zones are ?
. My throttle arm doesn't have the light, so I placed a light ahead of the spider as it is often seen in the real sims. Without that one, the left console is pretty dark. The portable light is on the back of the console and attached on the side of the cockpit.
. The construction of the sidewall was intended only to support the rail and have the realistic implementation of the throttle mechanics. It spoils the external look of the pit which is not as nice as Ray's. That was the only way I found to have the throttle implemented as I wanted it.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:58:15 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #827 on: March 04, 2008, 06:15:06 AM »
how about a few of the HUD/ICP box, mainly the top for details 

Your turn Mike, sorry for the MLU dust  :harhar:

. The HUD mount will need to be angled upwards as It blocks my view of the upper CP instruments. At this time it's not level with the top of the glareshield and I hope to be able to correct that soon. I also hope it will be enough, otherwise I will have to find a way to pull the seat back and downward...
. Not sure if one day I will be able to implement a working HUD in there ... Anyway, I first need to get the type A HUD mount :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:58:35 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #828 on: March 04, 2008, 06:21:30 AM »
And finally, the beginning of the MFD quest thanks to Lightning. I'm still nowhere with this as I ran out of time to set it up correctly
 :clap:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:58:44 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #829 on: March 04, 2008, 06:28:22 AM »
Now where's your HSI gonna go?

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #830 on: March 04, 2008, 06:37:11 AM »
Great pics Olivier!!

I am still considering going the same route regarding the throttle.
Maybe a more open design with some plexiglass ribbs or aluminium parts, as i want to have the left side still visible for display. Not sure yet..

The MFD's look great already.

I think you will also need to go for the EHSI, at least you will be more MLU that way! ;) (as i see a lot (at least four..) of non MLU panels... :bat:) :biggrin:

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #831 on: March 04, 2008, 07:32:56 AM »
Ta for the Pics, awesome work.

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #832 on: March 04, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
Now where's your HSI gonna go?
Yeah, all your fault bud  :wacko:
Honest, you know what ... I might just get happy with implementing only one MFD and keeping the other for the HSI :) After all we have the swap button and it's quite easy to use ... :DOH:
Beside, wouldn't that save some FPS ...

I think you will also need to go for the EHSI, at least you will be more MLU that way!  (as i see a lot (at least four..) of non MLU panels... )

Yes but then i'd need to make more surgery (not a problem) and I need a new graphic card PCI with two outputs on my second computer (does that even exist?). And EHSI needs to be network able.
And MLU M3 haven't all the EHSI :) But you spotted it well, I don't mind mixing the MLU and block 52 component.
I found some MLU panels too hard to implement with OF (EW for instance), so I mix them the way I want  :D

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:54:46 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline heines

• aviation collector
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #833 on: March 04, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
great pic's RD. you have one of the best looking pit's here on vp.
a joy to look at  :thumbsup:

( for all the other guys, you also have nice pit's  ;) )

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #834 on: March 04, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »
Wow  :o

Look better then the real thing

Asi

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #835 on: March 04, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
I confess ... Sometime, I'm bored with Falcon  :-\
So from time to time, I fly Lomac - Flaming Cliff and it's Su25T and even the A-10 ...

From there, trying to see if it's easily possible to reconfigure the cockpit for a second sim, is a small theoric step... and a rather big jump on the practical side..

But there are some cockpit builders in the Lomac community and they have outstanding Su-25 and Su-27 cockpits and they are working as hard as we do to implement as many functions as possible with sometime many fewer tools than we have ... I'd like to honour them tonight

Sure, i'll never have as many functionnalities as with Falcon but it's good to be able to switch to another sim for a few nights .. and meet new challenges

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:58:59 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline badboy31

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #836 on: March 04, 2008, 03:51:20 PM »
  :o  Nice Work Olivier  :thumbsup:  :clap:
your pit looks better then the sim in KB

grtz,
Tom

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #837 on: March 04, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
Excellent posts, RD, and thanks for those pics... they clear up a lot of questions ;)
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #838 on: March 08, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
Look rally great RD. Keep up the exelent work :-)  :thumbsup:

Kukki
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Nigel

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #839 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
Olivier,
I am going to have to build a map case, so could you post any pics you have? I need to get a machine called a bead roller first, but since accrding to Sheldon it will be a year or two before a case comes up for sale, I will make it. Any pics from anyone will help. I'll even build more than one if I can get some REALLy good pics and dims. Next, I like the black look of the MLU and I see you using a hybrid so could you let me know what panels you are using that are not Block 50/52?
Thanks, mate
Nigel