Salaxi54's pit progress by salaxi54
[January 19, 2017, 07:21:47 AM]

270 degree Full Aluminium Screen setup by Kukki
[January 19, 2017, 06:45:59 AM]

Kukki´s Pit v.5.0 by raptor
[January 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by Boomer
[January 18, 2017, 04:15:56 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 644713 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #750 on: November 28, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »
Needing to change the Cougar throttle adaptor, i decided to make myself a connector for the wires to avoid having to pull all the wires from the throttle arm (pulling isn't a problem - pushing them back in is : ) )

A std DB wouldn't fit the inside of the arm, so I decided to go DIY with spare Cougar connectors

It's not pretty but I don't expect that one to be used often so it will have to do
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:27:21 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline ~Guardian?~

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #751 on: November 28, 2007, 11:26:52 PM »
 :) Hi red dog , it looks fine plus you can`t see it when it`s plugged in.
As far as the LCD Inst. go
we only have two PCIexpress slot anyway
Red Dog... you can use a regular PCI video card if you have an empty PCI slot , a card like this will do fine ===>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130289
all you`ll need is a s-video to composit adapter ,NVidia allows you to run as many PCI video cards as your motherboard can take... heheh I`m planning on using a seperate comp to run the sim stuff, like FAST SIOC F4IM etc..not sure yet but that comp`s motherboard has 5 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot.

Great work btw, been watching your progress from 2005 and lovin it hehehe.
 :whistle:" sheeeeh It`s where I get alot of cool ideas."
Rob

"THE SKY IS NO LONGER THE LIMIT...THE SPACE THE WIFE ALLOWS FOR YOUR PIT IS."
 My Pit Progress :-

Offline ~Guardian?~

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #752 on: December 10, 2007, 11:58:56 AM »
Hi Oliver was just looking at the new CP and LCD you`ve installed excellent looking , can I make a suggestion if you didn`t do this already,my I suggest you put a protective layer of plexi say 1/8" or 2mm over the monitors..I would really hate to see a tool or coffee drop on them, they look soooo sweet,in my book prevention is better that cure.
Rob.

Mil

« Reply #753 on: December 10, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »
Hey Olivier, can you read the numbers on those glare shield screws ? if so, i might be able to fix something for ya ;) ;)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #754 on: December 10, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »
Guardian,

Excellent advice - I actually am building custom protection cases to install on the 3 screens with nice remove before flight tags when the pit is unused :)
Although the risk assesment is quite low since the CP screen is protected by the mini glareshield and it's very hard to reach the MFDs screens

Coffee is really not a problem, the guy crossing the red line with a with a cup might be shot as instructed on the fence :)
The danger are me and my tools (that's a very high risk) and the kids when I 'm not around...

Mil,
Geez, those numers are very tiny
I have different screws that fit. different lenght apparently
The shorter is 
1561  AB  -2  4
or
158l A8 -8  x

The longer  maybe is
983 -3  4

But I'll need to find a magnifying glass to be sure

Anyway, those are the screws that fix the front glareshield (facing pilot) to the larger glareshield, forward of the nose, there are two rows of screw holes on the small glareshield and they screw into the embedded thread of the larger glareshield
at this time the four parts are attached together with 6 available screws.. Luckily it won't pull 9G

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline ~Guardian?~

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #755 on: December 10, 2007, 02:40:30 PM »
Great ,hey quick question do you have the diameter of the round hole untop of the ICP mount that holds the HUD optics? 
I`m in the process of making my ICP housing but need the diameter and to find a large magnifing glass to put in there.
Thanks
Rob.

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #756 on: December 10, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »
Great ,hey quick question do you have the diameter of the round hole untop of the ICP mount that holds the HUD optics? 
I`m in the process of making my ICP housing but need the diameter and to find a large magnifing glass to put in there.
Thanks
Rob.
I found that if you're not really aiming for actual optics, the glass of ceiling lights like these work great ;)

OH !

As for the diameter: the radial is 3 inches as far as I know, so the diameter is 6 inches. I need this confirmed though.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:43:55 PM by AiRdAncE »
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline ~Guardian?~

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #757 on: December 10, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
Thanks AD
Rob

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #758 on: December 10, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
mine is 17cm flat diameter

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #759 on: December 10, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »
Hi Olivier, must have missed your Glass /Center console post, just went over it and DAMN, love it!!!
Have you tried to tweak the gauge look using the balance/contrast/brightness? Toning the blacks down a little would make them look even more amazing.

Click Above For Information

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #760 on: December 11, 2007, 06:02:54 AM »
Thanks Mike,

I will try what you suggest :)

I first have to fix a few problems, the biggest one is getting on track again, After 6 months without flying, the install dance don't seem so easy anymore and I need to get current on different aspect again.
I need to find the best setting with F4gauges also and I encounter some problem for the moment with 4.4, like once F4Gauges is started when I alt tab back to F4, it just gives me a black screen with the F16 mouse pointer.
I need to install 4.5 anyway and see what happens

Getting the Xkeys and the UCC working again required only the connectors to be plugged back in, which is great.

I had a hard time redoing the electrical circuitry, but there's no way around that. You have wires going out everyplace from left to right to center with different voltages and I bless the day I decided to use colour cables.
With the knobs on the Right panel, there's no way to avoid it as you need the main wire to go through the switch there. So even the LEFT electrical component wires needs to go to the RIGHT console.
That makes the circuitry and electrical cables more complicated to manage.
And some needs to be powered constantly: mag switches or because they have their own ON/OFF switch - like the console directional lights. So that means any voltage circuit has to be doubled. One through the switch on the RIGHT console, one direct to the component requiring power.
So I have to manage a 24V constant, a 24 variable, a 5V constant, a 5V variable and soon a 12V constant (for the Gear lock mechanism) and a 12V variable for the soon to be here EL sheets through the PWM (or I may be able to use 12V constant, I don't know yet)
And on top of the cake a 15v constant for the speedbrake  :wacko:
The electrical circuit is by far the most difficult aspect to manage. Luckily, once all is connected and working fine, you don't need to touch it anymore :)

All that is now done, all I have left to do is to finish my CMDS, tweak the Cougar setup and solve the F4gauge problem I'm seeing.

I wonder what I did before starting this hobby ... Oh yeah, I built plastic models .... It's been a long while I haven't started a new one ....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:08:50 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #761 on: December 11, 2007, 07:37:45 AM »
I need to install 4.5 anyway and see what happens

You know there is a One Click Installer for OF 4.5, don't you ? PM me if needed.

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #762 on: December 11, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »
One click, my butt ...
The link to that one was to a paid subscription download
Any way, I have 4.5 on my laptop so a simple c&p will do :)
thanks for the help though  :thumbsup:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #763 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:42 AM »
One click, my butt ...
The link to that one was to a paid subscription download
Any way, I have 4.5 on my laptop so a simple c&p will do :)
thanks for the help though  :thumbsup:
May I suggest you look for the torrent next time ? :P

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #764 on: December 11, 2007, 08:57:11 AM »
Nope, I don't go there :)
Old habits die hard, I like to keep my computer clean  :-P

Have a bandit day
Red Dog