INBOUND's PIT by Nigel
[August 16, 2017, 02:08:57 AM]

Thunder's Trainer by Thunder
[August 13, 2017, 07:41:27 PM]

Henkie's pit by Kukki
[August 12, 2017, 12:08:54 PM]

Upcoming parts by henkie
[August 11, 2017, 12:06:17 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 747981 times)

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2004, 11:06:17 AM »
Nice job RD :D
J.A.K.

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2004, 01:55:32 PM »
That is one wicked looking seat!

Click Above For Information

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2004, 06:52:59 AM »
What an amazing job RD!  Keep up the great work (and keep posting pics ;))
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2004, 07:33:44 AM »
Jay,
Thanks for the picture ... I don't have these bungees straps but I might have an idea on how to make them. In the worst case scenario, I will not install them and simply use the smaller pin to secure the risers on the backrest. That should be enough since the risers don't have to keep my body in place at high G in the sim  :?

Marvin,
Now how will I explain that in plain english?
the cushion are actually a triple layer of high density foam. The fabric was not done by me but by the mother of a friend... :wink:

It's not really fur, it's a thick fabric - the kind you place on beds to protect the sheets...like a bed cover if you see what I mean ... ? I would guess any fabric shop should have that stuff.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:10:29 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2004, 07:54:54 AM »
Jody, I too, have the black fuzzy bottom and part of the back.  I am missing the pad that velcros onto the back of the main back pad.  I was planning on making that from the type of foam above and finding a sheepskin car seat cover and chopping that up and sewing the pieces together.

All those cords are are stretchy elastic cord with some tube cloth on the outside.  I don't think it would be too hard to make those.  They will keep the risers in place and out of the way.

Jay

Marvin

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2004, 09:25:21 AM »
Jay,

Cool, sounds like you are closer then I am then! ;)  What does that back piece do anyway?  I mean I know it exists, but for what purpose??  I thought abou doing that as well..

I actually, removed the original buttom foam as it was very thick and hard.  (good God did I just use those two words in a sentence?)  I used normal softer foam from a fabric store, and my bum likes it better! ;)

As for the bear skin fabric stuff, I think that will be hard to match..  I went to a fabric store and still have not found anything to really match it yet.  I might put a green one on for now, until I get a better match.

Jody

Quote from: "Crease-Guard"
Jody, I too, have the black fuzzy bottom and part of the back.  I am missing the pad that velcros onto the back of the main back pad.  I was planning on making that from the type of foam above and finding a sheepskin car seat cover and chopping that up and sewing the pieces together.

All those cords are are stretchy elastic cord with some tube cloth on the outside.  I don't think it would be too hard to make those.  They will keep the risers in place and out of the way.

Jay

Marvin

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2004, 09:27:12 AM »
Red Dog,

Don't sweat it..  Your English is great as far as I am concerned..  Thanks for the information!

Take care
Jody

Quote from: "Red Dog"
Jay,
Thanks for the picture ... I don't have these bungees straps but I might have an idea on how to make them. In the worst case scenario, I will not install them and simply use the smaller pin to secure the risers on the backrest. That should be enough since the risers don't have to keep my body in place at high G in the sim  :?

Marvin,
Now how will I explain that in plain english?
the cushion are actually a triple layer of high density foam. The fabric was not done by me but by the mother of a friend... :wink:

It's not really fur, it's a thick fabric - the kind you place on beds to protect the sheets...like a bed cover if you see what I mean ... ? I would guess any fabric shop should have that stuff.

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2004, 02:21:14 PM »
I saw sheepskin rugs on an endcap at Sam's Club a few months back, of coarse the ACES popped into my head immediately. Check em out Jay.

Quote from: "Crease-Guard"

Jay

Offline Hack

• LT. General
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2004, 08:42:21 PM »
Red Dog,
     Man, That looks incredible. I dont know what else to say about it.  Very, very cool.  

Justin
Justin[/size][/b]

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2004, 03:12:59 PM »
It's been a while but I decided to work on the seat today  :lol:
The work today was minor detail like placing the ejection handle and decalling, I also worked on the left side - even if I still expect the O2 bottle and the lock reel.

I placed the part for the RBF tag - even if it's the the real one, that will do and put some colours on that seat. The handle is a dummy anyway - since I think I will never need to pull that one  :idea:

This one I will need :) Although it's not wired yet  :idea:
It's a reproduction in silicon of the real one. It's very nice and I like it a lot  :wink:
I also need to place the belts on the seatpan to secure the cushion in place. The cushion is a real one declassed by the BAF.
Notice the label kit by Gwen :) Pretty nice work over there. I printed them on sticker paper and covered the whole with transparent sheet of plastic - the one we use to cover the books of the children.

Some details of the right side with labels. the aces 2 sticker is in an unusual place but I've seen picture of that location, so I know there is no two seat with the same label kit. That allows us some liberty :)

Some close up of the head of the seat. the rubber headrest are not the final ones, I'm still looking for a decent material. The reason why I place the aces label at this place is so it stays visible once the FDR will be installed.

General view of the right side.

General view of the left side.

I'm obviously nearing the end :) I need to make that lock reel handle since i really doubt I will ever be able to get one. The Oxygen bottle will be placed during the week. Then some more paintwork to give that seat some more used look.

And after that I'll make a report of all the errors on the reproduction ...
And start the cockpit for reel  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:10:55 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2004, 03:23:53 PM »
A wonderful project RD, the seat looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pics of it.

Marvin

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2004, 04:56:22 PM »
Red Dog!

Pardon my french...  But that F&*King rocks!!  :lol:   (kidding on the french bit again)

Serious though, excellent work!  I am so happy to see my parachute container finally has a use now!  I purchased that thing in 1999 and was sitting collection dust until it found its way to you!

Excellent job brother!

Jody

Offline Nutty

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • FlyFoxy.com
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2004, 04:59:57 PM »
Yet another damned seat that puts mine totally to shame! I'm not one to use the word "awesome" much bud, but that really is an awesome achievement.

Many congratulations!

Great stuff.

Nutty

Offline falcon24

• General
    • http://www.simhardware.org/
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2004, 06:26:41 PM »
Great work Red Dog, That ACES is beautiful 8)

Dave
ttp://www.viperpit.org/falcon24

http://www.simhardware.org/

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2004, 06:29:46 PM »
Quote from: "Marvin"
Jay,

Cool, sounds like you are closer then I am then! ;)  What does that back piece do anyway?  I mean I know it exists, but for what purpose??  I thought abou doing that as well..

I actually, removed the original buttom foam as it was very thick and hard.  (good God did I just use those two words in a sentence?)  I used normal softer foam from a fabric store, and my bum likes it better! ;)

As for the bear skin fabric stuff, I think that will be hard to match..  I went to a fabric store and still have not found anything to really match it yet.  I might put a green one on for now, until I get a better match.

Jody

Somehow I missed this post Jody.  The back rest I have has two component to it; 1) The main back rest that fits to the seat back and 2) a back cushion that velcros to this back pad.  I am missing the cushion part but have the back pad.  I'd take a picture, but my camera is with my wife.

Jay