Backup ADI by Rufus
[May 19, 2017, 05:15:48 PM]

Faan's pit by Red Dog
[May 19, 2017, 02:12:11 AM]

Kukki´s ORDER INFO by Rufus
[May 18, 2017, 02:55:59 PM]

F-16 fuselage by Predator
[May 18, 2017, 01:47:23 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 699388 times)

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #735 on: November 11, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »
Well, shipping from the US to Europe is much cheaper than the other way around, and for Europeans buying U.S.-made products, the price is much cheaper too, since every day that goes by, the Euro buys more dollars while the dollar buys less Euros.  So it does make a lot of sense to make this here and ship it there, but I for one don't jive well with the whole "one supplier per product" thing that seems to be prevalent on here, so there's nothing stopping a local European copy from happening at some point.  Though I doubt it will be cheaper, all said and done.

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #736 on: November 11, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
Well, shipping from the US to Europe is much cheaper than the other way around, and for Europeans buying U.S.-made products, the price is much cheaper too, since every day that goes by, the Euro buys more dollars while the dollar buys less Euros.  So it does make a lot of sense to make this here and ship it there, but I for one don't jive well with the whole "one supplier per product" thing that seems to be prevalent on here, so there's nothing stopping a local European copy from happening at some point.  Though I doubt it will be cheaper, all said and done.
Agreed, but don't forget they also make us pay taxes : add at least 20%, plus (personal experience) 20 EUR customs fee :(
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: November 11, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
AD, draw some lines on picture and I will dim the glareshield for you.
Won't be easy to make it but I'm sure it's possible

Lightning,
Over there or over here, it dosn't matter - what we need is a VP US office, a VP european office and probably an Asia office so we can cover all the globe and share all those parts :)
I'm exporting a lot of food products int he US in my real life job and the exchange is killing us  :bat:
It won't stay that way forever  :rambling:

Looking at my picture, I realize that the glareshield somehow float in space with only three legs supporting it. I'm wondering If I will place wood panels so the legs becomes hidden, don't know yet.
Adding the console already minimize the floating effect ... I have the real feet sidewalls but I don't know if I'll ever use them.

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: November 11, 2007, 03:32:26 PM »
AD, draw some lines on picture and I will dim the glareshield for you.
Won't be easy to make it but I'm sure it's possible
RD, your dims-on-pics are the best!  Though I coulda sworn someone did this before??  If not, now's the time -- Having dimensions on just about everything available right here on VP is one of the things that makes this place so great for the real builders out there (versus the "buyers" like myself with no skills ;) )

Lightning,
Over there or over here, it dosn't matter - what we need is a VP US office, a VP european office and probably an Asia office so we can cover all the globe and share all those parts :)

Some sort of "authorized rep" thing would be great if it could be worked out but it'd pretty much have to be on a supplier-by-supplier basis -- still, if we can get the level of cooperation that high across the board, it would be a great service to everyone.  Stuff for everyone to think about is how to do it! 

I'm exporting a lot of food products int he US in my real life job and the exchange is killing us  :bat:
It won't stay that way forever  :rambling:

That seems to be precisely the intention of the "weak dollar" policy Just as it makes exporting TO the U.S. more difficult, it makes importing FROM the U.S. much easier...In reality, it is a "race to the bottom" that no one really wants to "win" -- the U.S. debases its currency by running the printing presses at full-speed, and all others have to follow suit in order to maintain the status-quo "(im)balance of trade"? Yikes!  Shades of "central planning" aside, I'm surprised people aren't taking to the streets with pitchforks yet over this one.  Like you said, can't go on forever -- the "value" of a fiat currency can only drop to zero, no further ;)  Trade war, anyone?  Oh, the joy.  Who'd have thought it'd be between the U.S. and Europe?  Ok, that's about enough macroeconomics talk for one day...though I'd be happy to rant with anyone via IM on that subject, I'm sure the rest of the audience is sleeping already :)

I have the real feet sidewalls but I don't know if I'll ever use them.
Isn't that how it goes with a lot of the real stuff? 

You'd mentioned wanting to work on the center piece a bit more -- that's one piece I really hope we can create a reasonable replica of, but as I don't have that piece either, I'm in no position to help out there. 

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #739 on: November 11, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
Jay had Dimed the GS at one point, it should be on the forum somewhere

Click Above For Information

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: November 12, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
Yep, someone already made that:
Here's what i could find in my archives

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:28:46 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #741 on: November 12, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
Interesting pics, RD!  I have the forward cowl in 2 pieces which are separate and sit behind from the eyebrow glare shields; yours looks to be a single seamless piece serving as both the cowl and glare shield all in one.  Do you happen to know which blocks use which style?

Here's a link to a pic from Pegasus' site showing the cowling version that I have...
http://www.xflight.de/original/pictures/cockpit/1000_0721.jpg

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #742 on: November 12, 2007, 01:23:45 PM »
That glareshield is not mine, i just saved the images some years ago for future reference. No idea who took them, i just am sure I collected here on VP
Might be a replica...

My glareshield is the  same one as yours, two separate parts left and right
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:25:42 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #743 on: November 12, 2007, 01:28:43 PM »
 :wacko: I shoulda scrolled down ;)

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: November 12, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
BTW do you have a pic of the glareshield screws you're looking for?  The ones I have look like garden-variety countersunk screws.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: November 12, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »
Sure

They are 0.552 inch long
Diameter of the head is 0.250 inch
diameter of the thread is 0.172 inch

I need about 35 at the most, 22 at the minimum
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:29:02 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: November 12, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »
Yep, same ones here.  Where have you looked already so I don't duplicate the effort there?

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: November 12, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
Strange looking screw, Dave, try Fasten-all , there should be a store somewhere near you. They stock all kinds of crazy fasteners

Click Above For Information

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #748 on: November 12, 2007, 06:12:20 PM »
It looks funky because it's a milspec structural machine screw complying with MS24694 (the old AN509 spec).  Standard stuff in military aviation.  You can get these from Aircraft Spruce by the pound or individually from Aaron's Military Screws or a number of other places, but you have to find the right "dash-number" from the spec itself (i.e. which specific screw from that spec do you need? )  From the measurements you provided, I suspect you've got one of the harder-to-find "dash numbers"...try the next size down or compromise...If you don't need the actual milspec machine screw with the untheaded "collar" or "grip", standard machine screws will probably work fine.

Here's a PDF from one manufacturer of these MS24694 --
http://www.hi-shear.com/standards/hst13.pdf

As you can see from the PDF, you'll need to take more measurements than what you provided.

Anyway they're cheap in unit lots.  Like <$0.20 each.  Let me know which dash number you settle on as being the right one.  We may need to consult one or more additional specs if you absolutely must have that particular screw.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #749 on: November 18, 2007, 08:44:53 AM »
If Mrs Red Dog comes home early today I'll be in trouble  :roll:
here's the new messy pitroom ... at least the pit is upstairs and being reassembled

Not much more space than in the appartment, but at least I am not in the bedroom anymore  8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:29:13 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog