Rebel's Cockpit Progress by Rebel
[February 12, 2017, 11:11:58 PM]

Smith's Pit by Smith
[February 12, 2017, 04:34:24 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by hy-fye1
[February 11, 2017, 07:01:35 AM]

Fishbowl, Snout and support for the Hudblock by mogas
[February 10, 2017, 06:14:32 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 654741 times)

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #675 on: October 01, 2007, 04:14:16 AM »
Hey RD!
That is just turning out really great.
Looking forward to see you fire it up :-)

Kukki
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #676 on: October 01, 2007, 04:17:59 AM »
Thanks guy, me too - hopefully one of these evenings ....

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #677 on: October 01, 2007, 07:09:08 AM »
Real nice work, so are you planning to light up the HSI?  Found any useful sites for bringing it to life?

Cheers

Peter

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #678 on: October 01, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »
Looks great RD!!

Can't you just glue the plastic sheet to the wood CP? that way you will always be able to remove the TFT in case of mallfunction. The bezels look great!

Exiting to see the gauges come to life!! you did a great job in keeping the distance between the TFT and the lenses as small as possible! I will be struggling with that with RWR too..

Raymond

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #679 on: October 02, 2007, 03:26:19 AM »
Pete, the HSI has been backlighted since day one on my previous CP. Unfurtunately, one of the pins snapped off during maintenance and I will need to dig ion my notes to find back where to connect it again  ::)
I whish I could interface the flags though

Ray, gluing the plastic to wood is a possibility but the surface contact is pretty small as I thinned the edges of the wood CP so the TFT fits.
Anyway, if I do that, the TFT can easily slide out of the CP from the top, that was foreseen in the building :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline thebeev

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
    • Awards
« Reply #680 on: October 02, 2007, 09:11:45 PM »
RD, you can always use duck tape!!  ;)  just kidding...  That CP looks great though, how thin are the  CP walls are we talking about.  I was going to mention clue too. Or maybe one of those really small nails used for hanging up small nick knack things.

Offline DaveyDave

• 2nd. LT
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #681 on: October 03, 2007, 07:25:20 AM »
Olivier, you could probably make some coin selling plans for your pit!  As you know I'm looking to do something simple, small footprint, but dimensionally accurate (angles, panel sizes, etc.)  Believe it or not I have a copy of the "Hell Seat" plans back from 2000 and was looking to build it, but even it is a little bigger than I want. Is their any chance you could post a few dimensions of the interior side walls of your tub (not including the tub height off the floor)? See crude ascii drawing below. I like how your panels end right where the seat back is... only the amount you need. :-)

___
              /     |
_______/       |
|                __|
|              /
|_______/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:42:47 AM by DaveyDave »

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #682 on: October 04, 2007, 03:26:36 AM »
Dave,

I haven't any drawing of my pit available. My way of working is totally weird and will certainly shock the enginneers here.
For the side console for instance, I drawed the internal ribs and outer side walls on paper, knowing the height and widths and angles I wanted to achieve, so those dimensions I can dig from my cockpit folder.
The integration of the real AUX panels was made on the spot, by drawing the AUX console shape in the woof, cutting and thinning it accordingly. So no drawing there.

The easiest for me would be for you to pick some pictures in my thread report and draw some lines on it. Then I can easily measure it up for you.
Sorry - I never thought I would need the dims in the futures as I had no plans of starting again and couldn't have imagined the growing community of pit builders when I started.
In the meantime, I can dig whatever I have as draft drawings in my big cockpit file

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline DaveyDave

• 2nd. LT
  • VP Awards : Veteran Award: Awarded after 5 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #683 on: October 04, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »
The easiest for me would be for you to pick some pictures in my thread report and draw some lines on it. Then I can easily measure it up for you.
Sorry - I never thought I would need the dims in the futures as I had no plans of starting again and couldn't have imagined the growing community of pit builders when I started.
In the meantime, I can dig whatever I have as draft drawings in my big cockpit file

Awesome! I'll get you the measurements I need when I get home in a few days. Thanks!

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #684 on: October 09, 2007, 04:05:43 AM »
Before fitting the new center pedestal, I need to place the new 6.4 TFTs behind the MFDs.
Jason came to the rescue with a cad drawing of an adaptor piece to fit the screen between the MFD and it's support.
As always, his work is just perfect and the implementations was made very easily - Thank you Jason.

The part is probably not meant to be done in wood but given my poor skills working with metal and the low probability of success doing it with plasticard, I decided to have a try with MDF wood. Since the part is about 8mm high, it might just work out.
It turned out ok and the hardest part was to thin most of the part from 8 to 2mm only keeping the upper and lower edge untouched on 20mm.

While I was at it, i remade my front panel MFD support in 8mm MDF as well - the front panel is a mess thanks to the different updates. It's also a very fragile piece when dissasembled. So I hope the added strenght by the 8mm MFD support will help.
The MFD frames are bolted directly into the adaptor part with the MFD built in screw and placed on top of the TFT resting on the front panel support. Then the MFDs are bolted on the support with the two bottom screws.

The only addition required was to make a 2mm trench on the front panel so the 6.4 TFT fit the casing. Furthermore, a passthrough for the screen power wires needed to be cut in the lower right corner. Easily done on the right, but not so on the left

With those two fitted, I'm ready for any MFD solution that might come up :)

Next step will be to place all the TFTs PCB on the backside of the support frames and reapply a coat of black paint before reassembling the front panel

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:02:20 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #685 on: October 09, 2007, 04:17:10 AM »
Excellent progress ! Keep at it ;)
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2007, 08:41:49 AM »
Looks great Oliver, I'll reference back when doing mine. Thanks

Click Above For Information

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #687 on: October 09, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »
please do Mike, after all it's thanks to you that I got my hands on those
 :yihaw:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Bucks

« Reply #688 on: October 09, 2007, 11:51:30 AM »
Great Great Job Oliver !!!!

Good Working Progress

Regards
Bucks

Offline Zandor

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • Maj. General
    • Awards
« Reply #689 on: October 09, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
Yup mine to Mike, the LCDs are due in this week  :rambling: I can't wait

And as always RD lookin good chief!!!  I hope mine does as well installed! :beer:

Later
Z