Grease Monkey's Pit by sagrzmnky
[February 24, 2017, 03:00:16 AM]

Falcon Pit block 52+ from Poland by Ski
[February 23, 2017, 05:53:03 PM]

Henkie's pit by KK
[February 21, 2017, 03:51:04 AM]

F-16 fuselage by simpit
[February 20, 2017, 05:54:18 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 657939 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Re: Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #660 on: September 09, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »
Thanks for your input Leo

I think you see my dilemma.
Yes, as I said above, I fully understand and would do the very same if I were in your shoes

So there's no conspiracy between Mike and myself to force anyone to buy an EF to control the panel backlights
Sorry about that - I hope you didn't get that meaning from my post as it was really not the intention.. if so apologies.
But that's great news - at least I will be a Beta Innovation customer buying that very small card :) I whish I could be a more important customer to help you finance that BMW :-P

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

LeoL

« Reply #661 on: September 09, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »
No offense taken, just making a clarification re our arrangement in case others think there is some sort of nefarious collusion between Mike, Jay and myself. We just try to make our stuff compatible.

BTW I meant to say Plasma+RXC card above, not NITRO. It supports 4 gauges, but like I said, all you need is 2 DAC chips and and the Plasma card if you can wire those up yourself as per schematic. If you want to check out the user manual, drop me an email.

Oh and 1 more sale and I can finally afford to buy that shiny new 10 speed bike.  8)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:46:49 PM by LeoL »

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #662 on: September 17, 2007, 04:30:46 AM »
Got my hands on 2 6.4 TFT (thanks Mike for the inspiration) to go behind the MFDs and made some testing right away.
They seem to work fine, now I just need to figure how to tell F4 gauges to use them :)

I also started buiding a new CP from scratch. To all of you having gone that ordeal before, respect gentlemen - Sure it's a lot of work.
That damn front part below the HSI almost drove me crazy over the week end  :wacko:

Anyway, I started by cutting the sides and making the forward edges thinner to support the TFT.

The TFT installed, my CP is 185mm wide which is 6-7mm wider than the real one. Luckily the support parts for the front panel just need 185mm, so I'll be fine.
I also decided not to use a wood part to cover the screen, I'll do it in plastic instead. That will allow me to work with a thinner sheet and thus having the instruments displayed closer to their bezel.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:02:50 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #663 on: September 17, 2007, 07:39:48 AM »
nice!, i'll be doing the same, rebuilding mine! So I already like your idea of thinning it like you did. What are you doing for the HSI?

Click Above For Information

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #664 on: September 17, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
Olivier,
that consolle looks really promising !!!  :beer:
Strale (Skype: Strale_64)

Offline thebeev

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #665 on: September 17, 2007, 09:41:31 PM »
Nice design and idea on the CP.  I'll have to keep that in mind once I get to that stage.  :thumbsup:

String2054

« Reply #666 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:07 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Wow your CP is looken GREAT! One idea for the MFDs; I had an issue where the 6.4TFT was alittle on the smalll size, allowing you to see about .125" of the top and bottom screen frame. To fix the issue, when I built Jasons LT/RT insturment panels I bolted the MFD frame to the front and mounted the screen to the back. The hole for the MFD was cut just large enough to hide the screen frame. This made the visible screen size aourt .125" less around the entire MFD, but you can not tell once you paint the inside frame black.

Great work like always I can not wait to see it completed!

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #667 on: September 18, 2007, 03:20:44 AM »
Great work as always Olivier. How are you planning on doing the HSI?

I was thinking of going for a TFT for the HSI and maybe ADI, and wait and see what Leo comes up with for the rest of the gauges, or make them myself.

Raymond

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #668 on: September 18, 2007, 04:08:36 AM »
Thanks guys,

Building it, I understand the ordeal and the time Jason and team had to put into making those plans  :wacko: I'm glad i bought them a very long time ago (I must have one of the very first release of the metric plans)
All credits go to them.

Mike,
I haven't found a decent 4 inch display for the HSI and since I planned on building the CP in September, I decided to use one of the MFDs TFT I'm installing to display the HSI. Granted it won't be realistic placed but since the MFDs are dummies anyway, I'm tempted to use them for other necessary purposes.
So the current compromise is to keep the real HSI installed into the CP and use the left MFD TFT for the HSI. The right MFD can be used to display the FTIT, RPM and NOZ pos gauges should I decide not to buy the beta innovation gauges (that will depend on some parts I will sell in the coming days)
Beside, having 4 Video (VGA/DVI) outputs on my computer through 2 NVIDIA cards, adding a fifth screen means I have to go with another connection like TV out or something)

String,
Your CP is my main source of inspiration for this, so thank you. You always come up with great ideas. Thanks for the tip on mounting the 6.4TFT. I'll try to do it the same way as well.
By the way, from the spec sheet of the 4" you mentionned for the HSI, it's a monochrome display, can you confirm that?

Ray,
See above for the HSI, I wouldn't mix TFTs with working gauges on the same panel. That might spoil the look  :wacko:
I have friends who scrapped the angle in the CP so they can have the HSI implemented on the same 10.4" TFT as the other instruments. I like the idea but the problem is that you can't mount the INSTR Mode panel and the FUEL QTY panel correctly and that screw the look of the CP big time. So I decided to use a compromise of my own.
I might very well reopen the CP one day and install a further 4inch display for the TFT, who knows :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #669 on: September 18, 2007, 05:44:34 AM »
Hi Olivier,

I don't think it will spoil the look so much, as in our M4 MLU's we also have a digital HSI, so it's pretty realistic!! Due to the functions of the digital HSI, the Instr Mode panel has gone. So that would give some space to house the TFT screen.

Switching the different Instr modes is done with the  'M' button on the bezel of the HSI.

Here a picture of it:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RGPeters/center.jpg
Red Dog's pit - I finally started

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/RGPeters/HSIdigital.jpg
Red Dog's pit - I finally started

Maybe the ADI is not such a good idea...

Hold on to the MFD's as Danny (ghost) already has created a piece of software which brings the MFD's to two TFT's. It runs on one PC, and indeed you need 2 dual head graphic cards. Frame rate is good, as well as resolution, but i will let Danny have the honour to write about it! I saw it at his place and its just awesome!!! On the fourth monitor you can even make an instructor screen, showing the HUD and both MFD's!

Raymond
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:52:43 AM by Rayman »

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #670 on: September 18, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »
Interesting Danny, when is the debut for this software?

jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #671 on: September 24, 2007, 06:19:31 AM »
Yep Ray, I was thinking about mixing a digital ADI with analog AOA, VVI and so on being not a good idea. I already have seen the digital HSi on tape4 MLUs if I recall correctly. And we could even give ourselves good conscience by looking at a block 60 CP which I think is full digital and quite different than the CP we use for the moment.

Anyway, Between the 7th birthday of my daughter and a great roller day in Brussels where the cars wouldn't be used for a day, I was able to make very minor work on the CP project:

Those angles are driving me nuts  :wacko:  I still have some sanding to do.

I slighly modified Killn's plan - mainly by adding a small part supporting the HSI and helping support the front face of the Console while the glue sets. The good thing is that the part just lay on the console and remain in place even unglued. Much better to calculate the dimensions and angles of the missing parts
When all will be cut, I will glue them in place and add some mastic to fill the edges and sand them accordingly
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:03:22 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #672 on: September 24, 2007, 06:53:17 AM »
Looks excellent ;)
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #673 on: October 01, 2007, 04:09:06 AM »
Thanks Kim,

Here's the follow up;

The lower parts have been glued and a lot of sanding was done from the outside. then I poured some mastics in the joints and sanded again. Old modeller habits die hard.
The TFT fits great so far and all I need to do was to cut an opening in the support aluminium frame to let the HSI go through. That ensured that the actual screen was as low as possible near the HSI.
No such problem on the sides, the gauges edges are within the screen boundaries.

The top instrument plate was made with 1.5mm plastic sheet as usual and the first layer of Ray's bezels have been put in place with blue tack for the moment. I covered the whole sreen to avoid having unwanted light into the Hud housing.
The idea to have it made in plastic instead of wood was to decrease the depth between the instrument front face and the TFT screen. On real instrument, the dials are quite close to the bezel top edge. When using a TFT in a CP, we might have close to 20mm depth between to bezel top and dials which I feel is too much. By using 1.5mm plastic instead of 8mm wood, I already decrease the depth by 7mm. Not quite enough but already better.
The biggest problem is then how to attach the plastic to the wood since I can't use screws. The upper part is attached to the TFT mounting holes and the lower part is still under consideration  :o

Next step is painting in black and fit the upper panel and ICP housing back in place
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:03:49 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Climber

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Technical Publications
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2007, 04:13:22 AM »