mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by Moon
[November 09, 2017, 06:17:45 AM]

F-16 fuselage by Rufus
[November 08, 2017, 09:04:23 PM]

Blaze's Pit by Blaze
[November 07, 2017, 03:27:37 PM]

John's F16 pit progress by Willy
[November 07, 2017, 01:45:56 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 795822 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #630 on: June 06, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
Thank you very much maestro, i will investigate

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: June 09, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
I finally could install the stickbase and the FCC2 in the pit :)
I have been waiting to replace my homemade stickbase that wasn't up to the task with this one for the past 6 months... Now are over the days to fly with a huge center deadzone on the stick, Thanks Arend  :D

It looks messy but I'm spending the week end down in maintenance. I'm redoing part of the Caution panel since it was made after a MLU and I am switching it back to b52 to have it in phase with OF.
I also replaced my Restraint handle with a real one.
The Autopilot magnetic switch is wired and working fine. Quite great to have the Ap switch magnetic and be able to disengage the autopilot with the DISC switch on the trim panel and have the MISC AP switch snap back to the OFF position automatically :)
I will also place a new ALT GEAR handle in place, not the real one, but close enough and place ther new AOA and VVI 100% working gauges..

If I have some time left, I might consider wiring the two spotlights in the glareshield....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:05:05 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Jarrod66

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts
    • Awards
« Reply #632 on: June 09, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
Looking great Olivier.  I am going to be putting a magnetic switch on my Jet Start, I can't wait to see it in action..

Later,
Jarrod

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: June 11, 2007, 04:26:17 AM »
Change of plans,
I finally decided that I looked enough at the spider and installed it in the pit so I can start actually playing with it instead of staring at it  8)

The integration in the left wall wasn't quite easy since I had to guess most of the angles of the support bracket. The piece is built the same way as the spider in 5mm thick PVC assembled with glue, screw and paint.

The spider is functunnial and protect the canopy switch + guard that is installed on the left wall as well (for the moment it's still a dryfit) when the spider is lifted, the throttle can't be put in AB and the canopy switch is accessible. Obviously it's wired to open and close the canopy.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:05:25 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #634 on: June 11, 2007, 04:46:04 AM »
Awesome RD ! I'm almost afraid to suggest this, but it almost feels like you are doing the one big prohibited thing: it looks like you are FINISHING your pit ?!?! Blasphemy !! Ungodly !!  :shock:  :o

LOL :D

Once again, nice work !
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #635 on: June 11, 2007, 05:11:05 AM »
Great RD.
I will try to make the same solution in my pit  :D
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline kdittyr

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #636 on: June 11, 2007, 11:02:58 AM »
That looks great, you must be so proud.

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: June 11, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
... when the spider is lifted, the throttle can't be put in AB ...

Oh, so that's what the square pad is for? I wondered since it didn't seem to push a switch. Can you post a photo with the throttle up against it?

Nikolas

Offline lightning

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Lightning's Tools
    • Awards
« Reply #638 on: June 11, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
That looks awesome!  If you hadn't have shown us, we'd have never known that wasn't the real canopy lock.

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #639 on: June 11, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »
Quote from: "Charos"
Quote from: "Red Dog"
... when the spider is lifted, the throttle can't be put in AB ...

Oh, so that's what the square pad is for? I wondered since it didn't seem to push a switch. Can you post a photo with the throttle up against it?

Nikolas

Yeah, can we see a photo ?

Dang, this Red Dog is amazing, isn't he ?

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
Spider
« Reply #640 on: June 11, 2007, 04:49:48 PM »
Just awesome work Olivier, as always i may say. Always looking forward to your posts!

Raymond

Mil

« Reply #641 on: June 12, 2007, 10:25:18 AM »
just info :
the canopy open close switch is normal toggle in the up position en momentary in the down position... closing the canopy lock/unlock lever in the real viper also resets the switch to center position, though you'd have to actuate it  with canopy open ;)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #642 on: July 01, 2007, 03:14:27 PM »
It took me a while, but I just opened the way to more features in the pit.
That was phase 4 of the whole plan...

the 4 first working instruments are complete (save for the VVI needing some more tweaks) AOA, VVI, Roll trim and Pitch Trim.
As you can see the AOA has been replaced by another design, based on the MLU VVI.

The VVI and AOA are backlighted and I also feature a square led to simulate the OFF flag driven by the UCC. Luckily in my cockpit, I always have power, even when the MAIN power switch is OFF  :D

I also completely modified the ADI that Arjen made for me. I must say his glue gave me headaches but I finally suceeded in opening it up. I decided to add the 4 flags with leds, also driven by the UCC and made some more stencils for those.
I deleted the ILS bars and remade the backlight and replaced the datum by a more accurate one.
I'll have to open it up again as there is a light bulb not going ON as required.

here's a picture of all the flags

And here's a video of the AOA and VVI needles working during a very bad approach where I was low and fast and coulnd't even reach proper on speed AOA at touch down.  :roll:

http://www.ravico.com/ST/cockpit/viper2/instruments.wmv

Sorry I can't embed the video link into the image
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:06:09 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »
Nice video !

I can hear the servo's working... very nicely done, RD ! Now get back in there and practice some aproaches !!

:D

Good work ! 8)

www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: July 01, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »
You're getting old AD,  :D Just had one more I read... happy Bday buddy.
I expected some comments about my legs from you  8)

I'll go back on shooting some ILS approaches now  :D

Have a bandit day
Red Dog