Salaxi54's pit progress by salaxi54
[January 19, 2017, 07:21:47 AM]

270 degree Full Aluminium Screen setup by Kukki
[January 19, 2017, 06:45:59 AM]

Kukki´s Pit v.5.0 by raptor
[January 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by Boomer
[January 18, 2017, 04:15:56 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 644723 times)

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #555 on: April 17, 2007, 11:55:59 AM »
First surface mirrors are the first thing I thought when I read that, too. Added bonus, they are thinner.

Nikolas

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #556 on: April 18, 2007, 08:35:31 AM »
Quote from: "AiRdAncE"
Nice work and a great idea !!!

A suggestion: most flatbed scanners have frontside mirrors - these are usually about 18mm wide, but are cut very precisely and straight and two side by side should be no problem (hardly noticable).
I also understand that older fotocopiers have bigger frontside mirrors. Frontside mirrors have the reflective layer on the front of the glass, not the back so you don't have the 'second reflection' from the glass. They also render a higher light outcome (does anyone understand this ?) as there's no glass layer to absorb part of the light.

Be very carefull though with frontside mirrors - the reflective surface scratches with absolutely zero effort !

Excellent modification of Oliver's beautiful design Kim!  :beer:

@Nikolas:  Thanks for the link.  

I plan to explore this method shortly as it's time to get my DED in the pit and off the 7" monitor sitting just to my left.

Man, the folks here never cease to amaze me!
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: April 18, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »
Quote from: "Flareless"

Excellent modification of Oliver's beautiful design Kim!  :beer:

Thanks Rich ;)

You know, it's not only the problem of figuring out where to find parts ? la cheap. It's mostly the problem of actually finding the parts. Ever tried to find an old photocopier for free ? LOL :D
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #558 on: April 19, 2007, 03:51:45 AM »
AD,

I have a few old photocopiers waiting to be piched up as well as some scanners. No idea where to go digging for those frontside mirrors though ... But i'll sure have a llok before they are sent to the scrap yard.

But then, they certainly need to be cut to shape ....

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #559 on: April 19, 2007, 04:08:33 AM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
I have a few old photocopiers waiting to be piched up as well as some scanners.

*sigh*

Some people just have it all.... :P
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #560 on: April 29, 2007, 07:56:48 AM »
For a long time I have been trying to buy a canopy spider to add in my cockpit but I never came close to find a decent one.
Luckily, A well known friend lent me his real spider so I can try to reproduce it.

It's a hell of a part to make. It's very complicated and i spent a lot of time planning the part making.

I won't do it in metal because I don't have the suitable tools. Instead I'll use hard PVC in sheets of 5mm. I can glue them together very strongly and mill them with the proxxon (dremel type) after glued.

I have been busy already for 2 days on this and I expect another couple of days before it's done.

First step was to cut a paper template, then Cut the main part out of PVC with the general shape of the spider.

Then 2.5mm of the sheet were milled on specific area

Two sheets glued together then milled to shape with my very limited mill knowledge to make the vertical guard

Then preparation of the thicker area of the spider with the round hole for the pivot point on the left wall...

All this is pretty rough without any sanding, it won't be perfect but I aim to come close to something "acceptable"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:30:22 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline white-eagle

• General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Electronics Guru Award: Awarded to those with special electronics skills
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: April 29, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
That guy really is unbelievable....

Nice work again Olivier.

Offline TOR

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #562 on: April 29, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Ooh yes, indeed!  :shock:

Nice work... and efforts, for that matter!

Also... I?m certain that he has all those dims`n?angles down on millimeter-paper to give away in here  :wink:

Cheers,

"GUN"

Offline kdittyr

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #563 on: April 29, 2007, 12:51:59 PM »
What are you using to bond the PVC?  I am pretty much done with the layers of my ICP (my ICP is not the best quality, but I wanted to get one that I can use until I build a better one) and need to bond them together and wondered what everyone else uses...  I am using plexi, but I believe that is the same, right?

Great job, by the way.

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.f16simulator.net
    • Awards
« Reply #564 on: April 29, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »
Holy cow!!

Great work, RedDog!

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
www.f16simulator.net

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #565 on: April 29, 2007, 02:19:42 PM »
Nice Olivier!!

for gluing acrylic, Weldon#4 or Tapp Plastics have a cheaper House brand.
Quote from: "kdittyr"
What are you using to bond the PVC?  I am pretty much done with the layers of my ICP (my ICP is not the best quality, but I wanted to get one that I can use until I build a better one) and need to bond them together and wondered what everyone else uses...  I am using plexi, but I believe that is the same, right?

Great job, by the way.

Click Above For Information

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: May 01, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
I use first a product (Griffon cleaner) to clean the PVC (smells like something you don't want to leave in the sun)
The I use the hard PVC glue from the R force range(rectaVit)

I'm getting there but it's not over yet, even with two more days working on it.

Here are the subassemblies so far

I am not sure I will make the protrudring pin hole there, it sort of conflicts with my sidewall internals and I may not use the same way of handling the spider as the real thing. matter of fact, I have no idea how I will connect it in the pit.

At first I wanted to have something that would remain closed because I didn't think the reproduction would be strong enough to behave like the real one, bit it just might afterall... so I might take it a step further
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:30:40 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #567 on: May 01, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Very Cool!!!

what exactly would be a step further?

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #568 on: May 01, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
Having the canopy switch inside the left sidewall and having the canopy spider moveable, rotating up like the real deal so I can access the canopy MOM switch  :P
Problem is I don't know how the spider is supposed to remain up. I guess there's a sort of rod retaining the spider in the up position. That rod should go on the part I still miss (guessing too)
Too much guessing at this time to plan something definite

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: May 01, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »
I see, I thought maybe you had a canopy sill in the future.  :)