Salaxi54's pit progress by salaxi54
[January 19, 2017, 07:21:47 AM]

270 degree Full Aluminium Screen setup by Kukki
[January 19, 2017, 06:45:59 AM]

Kukki´s Pit v.5.0 by raptor
[January 18, 2017, 06:47:02 PM]

Albert's F-16 Block 52 pit by Boomer
[January 18, 2017, 04:15:56 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 645332 times)

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #540 on: March 21, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »
Hi Jody,

You're right about the dutch viper, when the pilot puts the lights to flash on the ground, it means "the pilot is in full control" and he is going to move, so no crewmember should be near the viper.

Raymond

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
Just got a new part, one I have been looking for a long time:

looks like it's a coil switch, but for once it's a 3 positions, sounds perfectly suitable for the Ap switch on the MISC panel  :)
Very good deal getting that rare item  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:30:52 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »
Hmmm, you should change your name to Lucky Dog...

Nikolas

String2054

« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2007, 08:40:54 PM »
Good Switch... I am using the same one for my AP. You are going to love it. Look forward to seeing it installed :P

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: April 05, 2007, 08:01:33 AM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Just got a new part, one I have been looking for a long time:

looks like it's a coil switch, but for once it's a 3 positions, sounds perfectly suitable for the Ap switch on the MISC panel  :)
Very good deal getting that rare item  :wink:

So which EBay seller should we be watching or was it a bluebird?

cheers

Peter

Offline kdittyr

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #545 on: April 05, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »
Hey, Red Dog, around how much did this run you (if you don't mind my asking)?

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: April 10, 2007, 05:56:19 AM »
Sorry for the late answer guys, i was enjoying the Easter break on the seaside with the family  :D

Peter, you'll have to explain what a bluebird is :) I know the blue montains down there to have had a wonderful walk in there during my honeymoon but haven't see a bluebird :)

I feel it was pure luck. I saw two positions magnetic switches go between 35 - 70 us$ on ebay and got the three position from Girtkev at 25$
It was a buy it know, so I jumped on it the moment i saw it

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #547 on: April 16, 2007, 02:28:40 PM »
Hello guys,

Who can guess what took me the best part of the week-end to update in my cockpit?

OK, here's the picture to help

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:31:04 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline GunMan

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Aerodream
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2007, 02:33:51 PM »
OMG  :shock:

A 32" flat screen ????

EDIT : And one of Dunk's DED boxes :D

What did i have won  :?:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: April 17, 2007, 05:59:34 AM »
It's indeed a DED box from Dunk converted to use with the UCC LCD which we all know is too large because of the PCB.

It's been a project ever since we started the UCC, but none of us really found the time to go further than prototype. When I saw Dunk ded boxes, I just knew it had potential and that was the spark that got me going.

Since the UCC team was aware of that problem since the beginning, a mirror option was created for the DED display so the text is correctly set when the DED LCD is reflected through a 45? mirror.

Work started with cutting the top of the ded box to place the LCD face down. Then a small piece of 4mm mirror was placed at 45? (couldn't find mirror smaller than 4mm thick)
Placing the mirror correctly required careful planning and precision work.
The bottom edge of the mirror was sanded at 45? so it rests flat on the bottom of the plastic box. The top edge of the mirror was left untouched and placed just against the LCD screen.

Here is the initial testing on the top of the DED box with a mirror at 45?. The UCC PCB is still an old proto and will be replaced. The right picture shows the result of the reflected displays with the DED box closed

The problem of using a mirror and placing it at 45? is that the top and bottom edge will not reflect light normally because of the thickness of the mirror. To overcome the bottom edge problem, I made a 1mm trench on the lower part of the ded box so the non reflective part are left unseen.
the consequence is that the 5th line of the DED text is very low on the reflected light.
The ideal solution - as Biohazard found early in the development was to replace the 45? mirror with a prism that would prevent the reflections problems. But I have no access to such a prism.

The older proto PCB was replaced with a production PCB which is much smaller and fit perfectly in the back of the DED box. It's normally supposed to be soldered directly on the LCD PCB but I elected to use wires instead. The hardest thing to do was to remove the line connector on the LCD.

I also place black tape on the LCD that remains green  and spoil the inverted text effect of the UCC DED.

Here's an image of the new assembly test. The pot will go on the outside of the DED box so it can be reached easily to set the LCD brightness.

Next the ded box was painted black inside and outside and all the parts were put together. Note the location of the brightness pot:

Closed box show the added width from the glareshield that i will have to use because of the PCB. I placed a plastic sheet on top of it to protect the PCB from the metallic glareshield, used 4mm plastic spacers to screw the DED box under the right glareshield.

I just need to stick the yellow sticker to place there and I'll be all set.
I will also place a 6mm high plastic strip above the DED to fill the gap between the top of the DED box and the glareshield frame.

Here's a very low quality image (couldn't use the tripod) of the final result of the DED that is almost as small as the original one.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:31:32 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: April 17, 2007, 07:41:51 AM »
Wow Oliver, that's an outstanding idea!  I've got one of Dunk's DED boxes too.  I'm going to  see if I can work out something like your extrememly innovative design.

:beer:
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Skorp

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: April 17, 2007, 09:01:04 AM »
Wooow, nice solution!!!!

:beer:

Offline bnepethomas

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #552 on: April 17, 2007, 09:04:47 AM »
Awesome work!

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:51 AM »
RD, your work never ceases to amaze me.  Really nice work Oliver, really nice.

Jay

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #554 on: April 17, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »
Nice work and a great idea !!!

A suggestion: most flatbed scanners have frontside mirrors - these are usually about 18mm wide, but are cut very precisely and straight and two side by side should be no problem (hardly noticable).
I also understand that older fotocopiers have bigger frontside mirrors. Frontside mirrors have the reflective layer on the front of the glass, not the back so you don't have the 'second reflection' from the glass. They also render a higher light outcome (does anyone understand this ?) as there's no glass layer to absorb part of the light.

Be very carefull though with frontside mirrors - the reflective surface scratches with absolutely zero effort !
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com