Willy's Pit by Moon
[October 08, 2017, 06:17:00 AM]

DTU by Kukki
[October 06, 2017, 09:03:43 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[October 04, 2017, 02:24:37 PM]

Diabolo's pit - on the road again by Diabolo_101
[October 01, 2017, 02:30:34 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 774353 times)

Offline TOR

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »
You forgot the dimensions mate!   :wink:

Thanks alot! I really like that HUD, so now I just have to figure out the difference as to the Block 52, which I believe is the most build in here!?  :?

Just an idea anyway, as I might have access to glass - so my imagination went skywards with regards to the HUD!

Love those european responses! That way, one doesn?t have to wait for all the "Yankies" to stop working!   :lol:

But then again....they are still on weekend when we start MONDAY?S!  :evil:

Regards,

"GUN"

Gunnar - Denmark

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2007, 02:33:36 PM »
I have no accurate dimensions for you, but I DO have some more pics. Check here: http://www.habu2.net/vipers/viperpits/.

And yes, I hate them americans working,sleeping,eating... they do everything at the wrong time of day :D
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #482 on: January 12, 2007, 05:26:14 AM »
Here's a new addition to my cockpit but I can't take credit for it.
Since I saw that replica in Ricochet's cockpit I knew I needed to replace my Dummy ADI, by another dummy ADi, but much better. So I asked Arjen to make me one, adding leds for backlight. It took a while to get it but it really is a masterpiece. All I need to replace now are the AOA and VVI

I replaced the yellow leds Arjen used with white leds so it looks closer to the backlight of the HSI and Altimeter (unfortunately the Machmeter is not backlightable) But the white leds are too bright and I will probably work a little bit more to have a better result.

The only thing I would replace in the ADI is the datum (I feel it could be better) and the possibility to interface the flags. Something I'm still considering.

Now, that of course remain eye candy and I'm starting to consider placing a TFT behind my center pedestal to implement the ALT, MACH, ADI, VVI, AOA and a second smaller TFT for the HSI
I know some of you already did that and I will certainly seek advise on which TFT to get and how to interface them as this is really not my field.
I would hate to buy a TFT just to realize it's not suitable for the job.

Here's also a picture I like a lot of the left panel :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:32:41 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline AiRdAncE

• Kim - was lost but then found ;)
  • Administrator
  • General
  • Fly till I PUKE !
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Silver Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Software Guru Award: Awarded to those with special software skills : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • My Foundry for cast metal replica items
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #483 on: January 12, 2007, 05:36:39 AM »
Hi Red Dog !

Nice progress your making.

I have a suggestion for your LEDs; cutting off the top half (the lense) and sanding it so it becomes matte will make them spread the light more.
I've used that on some occasions and liked the effect.

Edit: doesn't mean I'm not totally flabbergasted by your pictures - it all looks fantastic; I'm having a hard time stopping my drewling :D Also please remind me to save the balls from the christmas tree - I need to make an ADI  8)
Life is what you make of it.

---------------------------------
Cast aluminum and brass replica cockpit items
www.castcrafter.com

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build
    • Awards
« Reply #484 on: January 12, 2007, 05:56:08 AM »
Looks Awesome Oliver!!! (as always)

Cheers,
Raymond

Offline Climber

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Technical Publications
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #485 on: January 12, 2007, 07:28:31 AM »
Indeed an awesome ADI.

Offline nightowl

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2007, 02:59:51 PM »
Fantastic work Red Dog.  :D

Your pit just keeps getting better and better. All of your work looks so realistic and is great motivation for me.
There are times when I find that I am struggling with my own efforts , but  I just need to check out your progress and see what is possible and I am remotivated again.

The ADI looks like the real thing to me. Do you have any advice on how to make the globe look so realistic ?

Keep up the great work RD.

Cheers
nightowl

Offline eagle_wen

• Maj. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2007, 03:11:33 PM »
Hi Olivier,

your progress reminds me that I still have a long way to go.

Keep on the good work. Looking great.

Don't be afraid to start making your own instruments...start with a simple one like example the oilpressure.
Seeya

Werner

String2054

« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2007, 10:15:01 PM »
Your work is amazing and most impressive!
I would leave what you have and wait for someone someday to sell a decent set of flight instruments. The TFT screen idea for your primary flight instruments is a good option, but unless your HUD goes out you may find yourself like me, rarely look at them. :roll:
The only flight instrument that I think is great, critical, wonderful, astonishing, necessary and indispensable is a fully functional HSI. The HSI used in the F-16 also has a bearing pointer that is a great tool, plus it?s the only way you can really navigate via Tacan. (just a thought)
Love your PIT and your attention to detail
 :D

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #489 on: January 13, 2007, 04:45:41 PM »
I have a suggestion for your LEDs; cutting off the top half (the lense) and sanding it so it becomes matte will make them spread the light more.
Thanks Airdance, that sounds like  pretty good tip, i'll try it out. I also have found some white/blue leds from a 5" ADI that I cannibalized. I will probably try them as well

There are times when I find that I am struggling with my own efforts , but I just need to check out your progress and see what is possible and I am remotivated again.

Thanks for that Nightowl, makes me proud. But when I look at yours I feel like crying :) You have such a gift working with metal
Do you have any advice on how to make the globe look so realistic ?

Well I did not do that one, Arjen van der Kooi did.
The globe is not the real problem - it can be made from wood (the bowl used on stairs for instances or even plastic balls of whatever. My real problem when I considered doing that one myself was the inverted cone section just before the globe. I don't have the tooling to make that one, so I asked Arjen to make me one full ADI.

Don't be afraid to start making your own instruments...start with a simple one like example the oilpressure.

Thanks, still considering that.

The TFT screen idea for your primary flight instruments is a good option, but unless your HUD goes out you may find yourself like me, rarely look at them.

String, thanks - I know you have been there and your advice is godsend for me.

The only flight instrument that I think is great, critical, wonderful, astonishing, necessary and indispensable is a fully functional HSI. The HSI used in the F-16 also has a bearing pointer that is a great tool, plus it?s the only way you can really navigate via Tacan. (just a thought)
 Well that's a thought I share.  :P  Doing the Falcon navigation charts http://www.combatsimchecklist.net/F4koreacharts.htm I do often fly heads down not even looking at the hud and having the HSI would be such a blast. But then I know me, If I place a TFT for the HSI, I'll be willing the ADI to check my attitude when intercepting the radials and doing minima ILS approaches  :lol:

For the moment when I design my charts, I fly in the down view of the F4 cockpit to see the HSI and that spoils a little the work I put in building the cockpit  :oops:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #490 on: February 05, 2007, 11:09:59 AM »
I upgraded my computer and as always when I do that, it takes me a lot of time before I can go back to sim work  :D

But Last Friday I received a new lasered  panel set  from Mike  :lol:

From past experience, I feel that the only thing missing from Mike's panel is a coat of matt varnish. So I sprayed all the panels with a modelist spray can from the Mr Hobby range (I get them from HobbyLink Japan)
On the next picture, you clearly see the diference between the uncoated AUDIO panel and the DULL COATED MPO panel.

Beside giving them a better flat aspect, it also protects the black paint from abuse.

Now I will need to find time to switch my old set with the new one... And sell the older mill engraved set  8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:32:58 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Kukki

• Administrator
  • General
  • Kurt "Kukki" Andersen
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Kukki?s F-16 website
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #491 on: February 05, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
Hey Red Dog!
Yes those panels just look so good, im thinking of upgrading all mine too, but ill wait, unteil i have wired it all up and bought the epic cards.
Now ill like to get airborne with working panels before cosmetic.  :D
Kukki - (Skype: kukki_22)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2007, 05:32:03 AM »
Since the beginning, i've been trying to find a suitable way to avoid the wiring nightmare of using leds for the panel backlight.

Biohazard once told me that a decent lead would be trying with EL sheets. Those are a kind of neon sheet that can be cut to any shape. They are flat and can be easily inserted between the backplate and the lightplate.
The holes for the switches can be cut out allowing easy positionning of the sheet. The PDF of the backplate can be used for the cutting.

The greatest advantage of course is to avoid the leds. the drawbacks are that each sheet comes with a small inverter box that takes some room but easily placed on the inside of the pit walls.
A more personnal drawback is that the sheets I have are 12v and I have not that voltage in the pit. I will have to add a third circuit.
The sheets are available in White and green, so the white backlight for non NVIS cockpit is also possible

I was told the Sheets may loose brightness with time. Since I have really no way to be sure of that short of trying I think I will give it a try :) The sheets are expensive but I think what i will loose in money, I will gain in time...

Here are the preliminary tests with Mike's panels. I tried with the old ones, mill engraved and the new one laser engraved.
I gave 6v and then 9v to the sheet. I will have to push it to 12v because at 9v the milled panels are giving satisfactory backlight but the lasered panels not (probably because of the added white coat)

That's a milled panel with the sheet at 6v

The CMDS is the new lasered panel and the ELEC panel is a milled one.
Voltage is now 9v. The picture don't do justice. The sheet not being cut gives too much light spoiling the backlight effect of the panel.
It's very close to the light level of the green backlight of the real UHF panel for the ELEC panel, the CMDS could use a little more intensity which I hope the 12v will provide

I'll report more progress during the week-end I hope.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:33:10 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline GunMan

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Aerodream
    • Awards
« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2007, 07:12:58 AM »
Very interesting :)

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »
Cool idea RD (as usual)!  I have 12V in my pit so I'm very interested in this technique.  Can you post a part number of manufacturer for the sheets you are using?
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio