Giovanni's Pit by antares190
[November 15, 2017, 02:31:28 PM]

Azul's Pit by Willy
[November 15, 2017, 11:41:34 AM]

TiTi's pit by Lento
[November 12, 2017, 03:21:03 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by Moon
[November 09, 2017, 06:17:45 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 797015 times)

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2004, 04:22:14 AM »
I've been working on restoring my seat these past couple of weeks and I gotta tell you, that'a pretty damn impressive looking seat.  I think when you get that done, it's gonna be hard to tell the difference between the two.

Jay

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2004, 10:22:33 AM »
Looks outstanding Red Dog, my one project is halted for a couple of wheeks :oops: , I got a other project thats absorbing all off my precious time. Annyway, now I have a great example to chase :wink:  :D
Greetings,
Jaap

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2004, 09:12:12 AM »
Thanks Jay, that's a pretty nice comment :)

Jak, Don't worry - once the seat is finished I'll take a little break and then  start the cockpit :)

I'm looking for help.
The only part I am missing so far is the lock reel handle mecanism. It's the small part on the left side of the seatpan that lock and unlocks the shoulder straps.

I've been looking on ebay to buy one from an aces2 or even an F104 seat but came up dry.

Any one have any idea ?
or better a spare somewhere you don't use?

Or even measures? That part seems pretty difficult to do it myself but if that's the only possibility left, I'll try at least...

Thanks

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2004, 09:30:13 AM »
Lot's of luck in finding that one.  I've been looking for that and the inertial reel as well.

You might and try to ask realsims.  I know they are eventually going to build seats for customers.  They have a working lock and release mechanism and inertial reel.  I don't know if they would build just this item for you, but it would be worth the email to ask.

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2004, 09:33:47 AM »
LOL...

No joy... I already asked  :lol:

That will be for their seat only and none of their seat (except the proto) are manufactured as far as I know...

But yes, I have the picture from their website and I drool over it :)

Wish I could get my hands on a real one, It would even be possible to make a mould and make copies in Resin  :shock:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2004, 09:36:33 AM »
Don't give up hope.  I have a source for things like this.  I'm gonna hit him up hard when the times right.  If I can get a hold of one, then we'll work out something so you can mold it.  I'll try to snag an extra lever if I can.

I can say that I have sat in that seat, it is very nice and hard to tell by looks that it is not the real deal.  Having sat in both of them, if you do buy the seat, you will not be dissapointed.

Jay

Marvin

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2004, 10:51:06 AM »
Quote from: "Crease-Guard"
I've been working on restoring my seat these past couple of weeks and I gotta tell you, that'a pretty damn impressive looking seat.  I think when you get that done, it's gonna be hard to tell the difference between the two.

Jay

Red Dog,

I agree with Jay, your seat is fantastic.  What I like about this community is there is always a bigger fish!!  Everytime we learn from eachother and the next guy steps up to build his, he/she always adds something else to make it even more realistic.

I noticed you are planning on making your ejection seat slide in the rails.  Have you done this before?  The reason I ask is my last cockpit I built had a working ejection rail.  Although it looked cool, it turned to be more of a pain in the butt then what it was worth.  2 reasons.  It was a tight fit to lift the seat up and slide down the rails, as the average roof here is like 7 feet or something.  But even more so was the weight.  You made yours out of MDF as I did, and I can bench about 280lbs right now, and it almost broke my back everytime lifting that thing up high enough to slide in the rails.  So this time around I have fake rails and just bolted the seat in place.  But hey, if you can find a more convenient way to do it, rock on, cause it looks damn cool!  :wink:

Take care
Jody

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2004, 11:26:09 AM »
Jay, Thanks.
Hope you can get one.... In the meantime, I'll continue to look for it over here. Since we fly the F-16 as well; I might just get lucky :)

Marvin,
Everytime we learn from eachother and the next guy steps up to build his, he/she always adds something else to make it even more realistic.
Well that is simply because when you spend some time reading this forum, you get all the tips from all builders and then what else can you miss?
So it's because of the guys have started before me that I'm able to build mine. Doing it without all the stuff I found here, would have proven much more difficult and certainly for a poorer result

I won't slide the seat in rails. the rollers are just eye candy for my cockpit.
The seat will be plainly visible with my Viper2 cockpit, so I wanted it to be as beatiful as the real one. That is also why I decided to detail the seatpan sides, since they will be visible with a Viper2 type pit.
That is not the case with a Viper one and honnestly, I wouldn't have bothered to detail them if I were building a Viper1.

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Marvin

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2004, 12:26:53 PM »
Red Dog,

Ahh ok that makes sense now.  I think I forget that due to your lack of room you are doing the Viper2 approach.  Sometimes I wish I took that approach as well.

I would though fabricate some rails.  They make the seat look so much better!!  As well, be a hell of a lot easier to slide the rails on the seat then vice versa!  :?

Take care
Jody

Quote from: "Red Dog"
Jay, Thanks.
Hope you can get one.... In the meantime, I'll continue to look for it over here. Since we fly the F-16 as well; I might just get lucky :)

Marvin,
Everytime we learn from eachother and the next guy steps up to build his, he/she always adds something else to make it even more realistic.
Well that is simply because when you spend some time reading this forum, you get all the tips from all builders and then what else can you miss?
So it's because of the guys have started before me that I'm able to build mine. Doing it without all the stuff I found here, would have proven much more difficult and certainly for a poorer result

I won't slide the seat in rails. the rollers are just eye candy for my cockpit.
The seat will be plainly visible with my Viper2 cockpit, so I wanted it to be as beatiful as the real one. That is also why I decided to detail the seatpan sides, since they will be visible with a Viper2 type pit.
That is not the case with a Viper one and honnestly, I wouldn't have bothered to detail them if I were building a Viper1.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2004, 05:11:19 AM »
Not much to show off this week. It was pretty dark when I finished yesterday so I couldn't take pix.

The seat has been completely assembled and the left side is detailled as well. All I still have to find out is the attachment of the O2 bottle. But I have good reference pix.

I placed two aluminium sheets on top of the seatpan sides so I can place all the goodies on the side of the seat like the emergency restraint handle and the seat arm lever, ....

The emergency restraint handle was done last week. The first try was done using a regular saw - no joy, then I milled a piece of wood but was quite unhappy with the result, so I decided to finally use three layers of 5mm PVC (hard plastic) glued together and milled that part according to the drawing and pictures I found here.

Here are the two parts. The MDF one is left unfinished.
The PVC one has been somewhat repaired from a bad move with the mill (yep, I'm still a neewbee with that stuff) and the exteriors corners have been rounded. Screws are regular computer screws.

I know the metal bar inside the handle is not reproduced well enough, but that will g-have to do for the time being. I have cheated so I could make the part easily with the mill.

The part prepainted in white

And finally with a coat of gold colours. The metal bar inside was painted aluminium with a brush.
All left to do is a coat of varnish and then the wonderful graphics made by Angela.
By the way, Angela, if you read this, what support should I use to print them on? photo paper? ... Best bet would be a glue on white sheet, but I'd like to find a vinylic aspect  :?: 

Another part done was the straps? Since I couldn't find them from an ejection seat I built mine myself. I used some buckles from a Phantom ejection seat handle and some straps found in a local shop.
The I started sewing :)

I'm afraid this is not an activity were I shine :) Anyway, that's done - I'm glad I won't have to do the cushion myself...  :lol:

I spent some time thinking about wiring my ejection handle and the seat arm lever to my Xkeys - I'll probably use some microswitch to activate the handles so I can program them.
Something I might have thought about earlier but it should be still possible to integrate the switches....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:08:10 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline nightowl

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2004, 06:54:02 AM »
Hi Red Dog

Your seat is looking awesome. 8)  Cant wait to see how the rest of your cockpit is going to look based on the level of detail so far.

Love your model F16 also. Looks like a real work of art.  I have a similar Hasegawa F16 in 1:32 scale that I have hardly touched and it will be on the backburner for a few years yet, while I finish the 1:1 scale cockpit  :)

I cant get over the amount of work you are getting through. How the heck do you do it ?

I finally made the version 2 of the headrest plate and I think it has come out quite well. I've posted some photos on my progress report, so I hope these might at least give you some ideas that you can use.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
nightowl

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2004, 02:04:32 PM »
Thank you Nightowl

I have a bad habit (or a good one depending on how you see it) I never start a new project before the previous one is completely done.
Add to that that usually, If I don't finish it in a reasonable timeframe, I will probably get bored and abandon it - although that happened only a few time.

Sell that F-16 model, because Tamiya and Academy are coming up each with a beatiful modern F-16 in 1/32nd scale, It was  just announced for Tamiya. Once these two will be released, the old Hasegawa will show its age, no doubt.

Pretty good work on your hearest, I don't know if I will find the courage to redo mine in aluminium. I think I will use the wood one at least until the cockpit project is done  - I'm sure my fingers wil start to itch soon after I will have flown some hours in the new cockpit :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2004, 02:25:29 PM »
Another saturday afternoon spent in the garage  :lol:
Bad thing is that I look forward to that moment for the whole week - Is it serious doc?

I placed the seat arm lever and the switch that will allow it to work in F4.
I made a hole in the woodwork to place the switch and calculated depth so it came level with the aluminium sheet. The cables are going inside the seat. The connection board for the Xkey will be located in the back rest.

Here's the result when the aluminium sheet is placed. The button protrudes from the aluminium and the lever goes against it and makes contact.

The initial plan was to place the same system on the knee protection for the other lever position but I'm afraid to destroy the knee protection in the process and I can't make the wires invisible. So one switch only  will have to do. Besides, We only have a toggle for that function do we?

Further back on the same side, I placed the emegency Oxygen system
Nothing special there - except maybe the brainfart I had while doing the hole lower on the side - Mastic to the rescue again :)

Going on to the other side, the equipment release knob with the draft label.

That was easily done on the lathe with plain aluminium - then inserted in the woodwork

I decided to make an opening on the back of the backrest. That was dictated by the need to wire the seat and do some maintenance work if needed. So I placed an access panel that is closed with magnets.
Not so realistic but pretty useful IMHO

That door allowed me to place the seatbelt mechanism given by JAK - Thanks Mate, I owe you one :) - inside the seat and test the system by extending the belt to the straps retention point: It will work like a charm - once the straps are in place !

The seatbelt reel locked in place. Notice the wires from the seat arm lever.

The seatbelt will eventually come up there and the straps will go through the rollers...  :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:09:05 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2004, 07:03:36 AM »
Hi Red Dog, nice to see the seatbelt mechanisme build in. Now I want to place mine also :D. I was also thinking of making a access panel in the back. So I can place the seatbelt, maybe a suwoover, and for easy acces to some electronics :wink: The hinge for your seat arm lever is made of the same piece of aluminium that you used for the upper side of the left seat side?(I hope you could follow that :? ) That would be a option in my seat also :wink: (been thinking how to do that, I stopped now :wink:  :D ). I dont know if I'm gonna use aluminium for the side upper plates. I'm dumpster diving at work to find some long and wide enough pieces of metal. With a thickness of about 4mm(I personaly think that aluminium is bend to easily, and because of the small thickness it almost reacts as a razorblade :wink: )
Keep up the excellent work, when I see the pictures my hands are itching :D  :D  
Greetings,
J.A.K.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2004, 04:01:17 PM »
Hey Jak,
The hinge is actually another part. Normally, there's a wood insert glued to the aluminium but it was not in place for the picture... now where the heck is that small part  :oops:

For those of you interested, here are my drawing for all the small parts up to now. I hope they are not too heavy. Dimensions are in mm, and bear with me, I'm no pro at drawing.

When I needed to make a part in an aluminium sheet, I made a copy of the drawing and used the copy as a paper template for the part. Once checked; I started cutting the 0.5mm aluminium sheet. Cutting was done with a sharp cutter in multiple passes (and a lot of new sharp blades were used in the process)along a metal ruler. A pair of heavy scissors was used for the curves.

No special stuff to know except to take great care of your fingers  :?

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:09:26 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog