HUD GLASS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:27:01 AM]

IR-SENSOR - NATO ICP BACKPLATE by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:23:09 AM]

ACES II - SEAT ROLLERS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:20:57 AM]

ACES II - FRONT COVER by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:18:34 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 717206 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #435 on: October 18, 2006, 05:47:21 AM »
Hi gents, I just wanted to make a small report of my first demo with the pit. Although going out showing the pit has never been a motivation for me, I got convinced to attend an open door week-end made in Brussels by Simware simulation. They showed lots of cockpits mainly commercial, gliders, cars, civil airplane, but I was the only one with something military.

The week-end was great but it was a lot of work to dismantle the pit, and bring it there - and all the week-end I was sick with worry something might break. The show went great with minor damage thanks to a few friends who helped me keep a close eye on the cockpit. We did flight and ramp starts demo, thanks to member of my squad and some guys were able to give it a try to land the F-16.

Of course I made a small leaflet so I could give credit to all the help I got from this very website ... So Mike and Penny and Jason ... beware, the mob know what's you're up to  :D  Luckily, Belgian sim guys are very sparse so you shouldn't have too high a peak in traffic  :lol:

So the week before the show I worked very hard to finish some stuff such as the left external wall that I replaced with bent aluminium. That was so nasty I had to fill in the irregularities with fiberglass mastic.
I also placed the big glareshield and it just gives a great look to the pit. That part make it sure look like a F16 pit. I also added some flood lights on the left side.

Enough talk, here are a few pictures:

That guy on the left looks pretty happy :) the one on the right looks like he's testing something. Please meet my friend Arend the designer of the FCC :)

And finally, I can't post pictures of my friends without at least posting one of me, in the cockpit:

I'm very glad to have attended because lots of people were interested in the building process and were quite flabbergasted with the FCC, UCC, throttle modification by Penny, Mike's panels, Philippe's castings etc etc...

Thanks to all of you - once again, this would not have been possible without Viperpit and its members.
I also want to thank Amraam, Co of my squad and Arend Van Oosten for all the help they provided during the show.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:35:49 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #436 on: October 18, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »
Nice show RD...good to finally put a face with the name.  Looks like you had a great time.

Jay

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #437 on: October 18, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
Very neat report! Your pit looks awsome!!

Nice that you got to display it at the show,I'll bet people were amazed by your work!

Raymond is going to a big show in the Netherlands early next month , I'll bet he gets similar reactions.

Thanks

Click Above For Information

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #438 on: October 19, 2006, 01:59:41 AM »
RD,

I bet that was a blast? The pit is looking fantastic.

Darryl
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline Skorp

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #439 on: October 19, 2006, 02:57:19 AM »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Very nice work, RD :beer:

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #440 on: October 19, 2006, 04:48:33 AM »
Thanks guys,
So Ray goes to lelystad ... might be a good opportunity to go say hello to him :)

By the way, during the show I met the guys from Flight illusion: http://www.flightillusion.com , they do flight sim gauges and they told me they would present their military gauges (F16) at lelystad early november
I saw some of their civil gauges and they look just fine. The directionnal gyro is great and I must confess they got me interested  :wink:

Any one already has some info about these guys?
I heard some guys from the IL2 and Lomac community are already working on interfacing their gauges, but apparently nobody from the F4 community is working on it ...

Any insights, I'm temped to propose some help  :wink:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #441 on: October 19, 2006, 06:22:04 AM »
Hi Olivier,

Great report, and a fantastic pit!!! You must have had great reactions on it!!!

As you read from Mike i will be attending the FS weekend in Lelystad on the 4 and 5th of november together with Frank, who will demo his Lago update project, and the dutch airforce he programmed, painted etc. in FS9, flight illusion will show their line of F16 gauges overthere, i will try to take pictures of those and post them on the forum.

It would be great to meet you there!

More info on http://www.fsweekend.com

Raymond

Offline GunMan

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Aerodream
    • Awards
« Reply #442 on: October 27, 2006, 08:27:57 AM »

Hey  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I think i have already seen this guy  :lol:  :lol:  :P

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #443 on: October 27, 2006, 09:40:02 AM »
Wow, is that Peter Jackson looking over his shoulder? ;)

It seems like EVERYONE wants a glimpse of Oliver's pit  :beer:
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Strale

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #444 on: October 27, 2006, 05:40:45 PM »
eh eh eh eh eh  .....
probably Olivier and his pit will be soon GUEST STARS ! .....
Hope You all the Best ! ... and if some Produce need a Wingman for You ..... I'm just at your Six !

Hey .... next 16th in bruxelles .. and this time i will get a car at the airport ! ..... Any LAN MEETING ??? ah ah ah ah ah

Cheers Mate !

Davide
Strale (Skype: Strale_64)

Offline GunMan

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Aerodream
    • Awards
« Reply #445 on: October 28, 2006, 06:48:49 AM »
Hey, is Arend often flying with Avionics power OFF  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  ???

Offline Nutty

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • LT. General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • FlyFoxy.com
    • Awards
« Reply #446 on: October 29, 2006, 05:40:55 PM »
I can't get over how fantastic your pit looks RD. Many congratulations. I've been out of the pit building side of our hobby for far too long, so just reading up about the UCC and other bits and pieces ... it's amazing what everyone's put together!

Cheers

James

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2006, 04:57:19 AM »
Thanks guys  :D

The cockpit is still dissasembled and instead of rushing to put it on OPS status, i did some needed modification.
The first thing was to enable the ejection handle - since the seat was free, it was a great opportunity to make it. Simple design, a rod, some springs and a microswitch :)

While I was away for job I also received the last three panels I missed from Mike. I did some surgery to install the AntiIce panel on the right console. I originaly planned not to add the anti - ice panel since it's inop ... but who knows :)

I must say the latest panels from Mike are really great - much better than the old one. They are laser engraved instead of mil engraved and it shows. But the eye catching difference is not the engraving, it's the white of the lettering. Now the labels are plain white instead of the semi transparent white of the old ones - and thus it gives a much better result when the panels are not backlighted and I must say they look much closer to the real ones now.
The above picture show the three type. The ANTI-ICE is Mike's new panel, the AVIONIC PWR is Mike's old set and the O2 panel is a real one.

I could have lived with having 2 different panel set (Mike's old set and real panels) but having three start to bug me ... So I'll probably update to the new laser engraved ones...

Here's a comparison of the CMDS panel. Old and new:
Well done Mike, great investment you made !
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:36:11 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2006, 06:39:03 AM »
Great job RD.  I'm wiring every switch on every panel just in case support is added in the future.  It'd be a shame to gut everything to make previously non-functioning panels work.

One note about the ejection seat handle;  make it tough.  Chances are that when you are punching out fast during simulation you will really pull it hard (at least that's been my experience).

Great job and thanks for the panel comparison pictures.

:beer:
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #449 on: October 30, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »
Thanks Olivier, having pics on your thread is like having pics on the front page :wink:

Click Above For Information