Blaze's Pit by Kukki
[September 13, 2017, 03:17:33 PM]

Rodsei's Pit by rodsei
[September 13, 2017, 02:09:24 PM]

Azul's Pit by sagrzmnky
[September 12, 2017, 12:55:01 PM]

Pikachu's Home Pit by Hero
[September 12, 2017, 01:00:55 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 762973 times)

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #420 on: September 03, 2006, 05:39:33 AM »
RD,

Thanks for the info.
your JFS switch lever, looks like a lever lock.
In your Video it was hard to tell the exact type of lever.
Is the real thing a regular switch or lock?

Asi

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: September 03, 2006, 07:07:19 AM »
Peten,

The JFS switch I use is not a lock type. it has a special head though, but no locking mechanism. As I said in an other post, I feel it's not interesting to have a lock with a magnetic switch since the very purpose of the switch is to move automatically. A lock would prevent that wouldn't it?

Here's a picture that Philippe "Biohazard" sent yesterday for this very purpose. It lists the mag switch type in the cockpit:

Thanks to Phil  :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:36:25 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: September 03, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
RD,

Thanks a lot for the pictures.
Now, I think it all makes sense. You DO have a lever lock switch.
I bet you have to pull the switch to start. There are all kinds of lever locks.
Look here at Jay's post.
http://www.viperpit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

You can see that your kind is type E lock, I think. You have to pull to start, but it doesn't have a lock on the way back.
This is why your lever looks like that.
The one's on Ebay are model 25E, and 26E. and have a Standard lever.Yours is 27E.

Asi

Offline Biohazard

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2006, 04:10:49 PM »
The last letter of the code number is corresponding to the coding of each switch

- Start 1 / 2 of the Eng Start panel has a E coding
- Pitch of the Misc panel has a E coding
- Parking Brake of the Gear panel has a N coding
- Max Power of the Eng Start panel has a G coding

Philippe

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2006, 06:04:59 AM »
I finally took the UHF for an upgrading session.
Panel was bought off from ebay (thanks Mike) some months ago and now that I have almost all the wiring ready I needed to make a panel for the displays and the damn box with the UHF freqs table.

As always, plasticard came to the rescue :) Displays are from my stencils and doubled with a Clear green PVC sheet to avoid them glowing too much. A led will be placed there to provide display backlight until the UCC is able to drive the panel :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:36:36 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »
Question RD, is that display real?  Do you have it powered up or is that a dummy display?

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #426 on: September 19, 2006, 06:25:52 AM »
Jay,

Nope, the display is eye candy at this time. It's from my stencil sheet available from the download forum.
The only thing I will do is to connect a led back there so it light up when the power is applied. That will be interfaced with a UCC light output.

In the very distant future, we have plans to implement the functionalities of the panel with the UCC working with F4 and teamspeak so the displays becomes useable

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #427 on: September 20, 2006, 10:06:16 AM »
Here's a picture of the lighted display and the panel installed into the cockpit.

The two large knobs are functionnals and although the smaller knobs are not supported by F4, I plan on using the left most for switching frequencies on TS when needed.
The only stuff I can't wire ifs the encoder for the channel because my cockpit is not encoder friendly at this time  :o
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:36:48 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline mihi4

• General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • http://www.f16simulator.net
    • Awards
« Reply #428 on: September 20, 2006, 10:10:20 AM »
Great work, RedDog!

That looks really nice!
I decided to use 7-segment displays in my UHF-panel, hopefully I'll soon be able to post some pics of it...

greetings
michi
Michi "MiHi" Hirczy
www.f16simulator.net

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #429 on: September 20, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »
Thanks Michi,

The 7 segment displays is a much more elegant solution :) which we will lean to with the UCC in the future as well. But since I wanted to have that nice panel in the pit ASAP, I needed a temporary solution  8)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Sledge

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: September 20, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »
Wow!  You do amazing work Red Dog!  Inspiring, as always!  Thanks for the pics!

-Sledge

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
    • Awards
Clear Pictures of lighted pannels
« Reply #431 on: September 20, 2006, 10:25:49 PM »
RD,
how do you get such Clear Pictures of lighted pannels in your pit.
are you using a very high quality camera?
mine is just a 5 MP kodak, but i think i must be doing somthing wrong, because my pics are so blurry, especialy when i try to take pics of the pannels when lit up.
Thanks

The Comms pnl looks awsome like all of your stuff  BTW
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2006, 04:14:49 AM »
KW,

I'm used to do a lot of plastic model photography and although I do have a fairly good camera, there are some tricks one can learn to do such kind of photography.

Basic photography evolves around two variables : Speed and aperture.
Sorry for the english, I'm not really used to the technical words of photography in english

First, light is quite important. the higher speed setting you use, the less light comes into the camera. (because the shutter opens and close very rapidly)
So in a fairly dark environment, you will need to use a low speed setting, so the camera remains open the longest time possible so the more light can get into your picture.
Problem: low speed camera settings makes a great risk of blur because the man behind the camera moves (or because of shutter movement)
Solution: Use a tripod and eventually the time counter to take the picture (the simple action of depressing the shutter button with your finger might blur the image in certain circonstances.
Personnaly, I dare descent to 1/30 without using a tripod, but anything below 1/30 needs a tripod. Still that minimum value depends on the photograph. Some are able to go much lower without tripod.

Secondly, the other aspect is aperture. It's the opening of the diaphragm.(sp)
The higher it's opened, the more light comes into the camera as well. But high opening are given by a low Fstop number. (4.5 - 5.6 - ... 20 - 22).. yeah that could have been simplier  :D
The aperture gives the depth of field of the images and that is very important when you do Macro photography because you don't want to have the back of your subject blurred most of the time.
To have a large depth of field area (unblurred image), you need to use high Fstop. but high Fstop number means small diaphragm opening - thus not a lot of light entering the camera - to compensate, you need to use a low speed camera setting (to allow a max of light going in) -> use a tripod.

Here's an example:

On this photo, I wanted to have the background blurred to emphasize the throttle. So low Fstops number were used for the aperture. The depht of field is small and everything beyond the sharp zone= throttle) will be blurred. Had I wanted to have the left aux sharp, I should have used a higher Fstop number and decrease the speed setting as a consequence...

basically, the secret of macro photography is to use a tripod, long exposure time (low speed setting) and High Fstop number for the aperture (long depth of field)

Photography is always tricky because the photographer always needs to find the best compromise between Speed and aperture.

I'm still learning, so don't take the above for granted, that's just my own experince with photographing.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:37:00 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline 101-Douxx

• You shall never fail... If you do! Try harder.
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • You shall never fail... If you do! Try harder!!!!!
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • 101-Douxx's squadron Website
    • Awards
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2006, 07:27:01 AM »
Hi RedDog,

Your pit inspired me for a long time.... and still is!!!

Now your picture experiences and explanation will help me even more.

Merci, Olivier!

Keep up the good work!
You shall never fail... If you do... Try harder!!! ;)

Stephane "Douxx" Bourdouxhe
101ECV-QAF
Owner of Cougar#5795 ?2NXT#197
Cougar#4276 RibbStick#29
Cougar#11527 Stock
Simped F-16+
Cockpit site

Offline Dunk

• Dunk
  • -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • AVIATION SIMULATION GROUP
    • Awards
Camera Knowledge
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
Yea RD,  you sure taught me a whole bunch just with that Post.

Thanks,

KW
I love the F-16 Fighting Falcon, the Ferrari F1 of fighter jets.

I love the Viper - a perfect melding of man and machine. 
~Dan Hampton~

http://aviationsimulationgroup.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx