Well it's been a while - Real life catched me up and it's been more than a month without work in the pit. Luckily during that time, parts converged to my home and I was finally able to get some work done on the throttle issue.
The first part was to rip off the old side console wall supporting the throttle gate, i didn't like it.
With the wall off, I started to assemble the throttle arm and the homemade support that goes inside the console:
The support was made with aluminium plate cut to the appropriate size fitting the insides of my side console. The spacers are coming from the Chaff and flare panels. They seem just a tad longer than needed but do the trick fine.
The Cougar adaptator was casted by Penny and it fits really nicely on the Cougar handle - The axle and retaining pin are homemade and the springs and cutoff release are real parts.
Cutting the Cougar cables to extend them has been an experience. Please if you do so mark each one of them
Some colours comes back as many as three times and I had a hard time with the red ones. Making the cables run through the inside of the arm twisted them and in the end it was very difficult to know which red was in which position. The fact that the wires aren't glued all together like on any std IDE flat cable didn't help.
So make sure you mark eack of the 22 wires correctly before cutting
The friction wheel works as advertised. I placed two belleville washers each side of the oblong plate. I think the very purpose of the oblong plate is to prevent the washers to get one into another as they would if there was no plane plate between the washers, ruining the friction effect. Now turning the friction wheel compress the washers and makes the throttle arm rotation stiffer.
To interface the Cougar with the arm, i used a Hall sensor originally from a HS kit sold by Cubpilot on the FW forum. The link between the Arm and the HS is std stuff from RC servo. Below left : the part that goes at the bottom of the arm. On the right, the HS kit with the servo wheel extended in plasticard.
The wall was rebuild, inside only for the moment - I will try to make the outer section in aluminium tomorrow. Here are two shots to illustrate the lift of the handle to go cutoff:
Left: idle, right: cutoff.
Now knowing how much I sweated to get to this part, i'm a very happy guy. But nothing would have been possible without the great help Penny provided for a very long time and by taking the chances and the time to cast the adaptor and sourcing various part for me: Thanks a million Penny :wink:
Here's the throttle in AB position. he interaction with the gate was not easy to get and I had to lenghten a little bit the throttle frost to ensure a good contact between the gate and the throttle at all points along the gate. Apart from that, it works exactly as the real one. Just lift it a notch without using the lever to go AB and depress the lever to lift the handle and go into the Cutoff position.
The ALT GEAR was done with a spare Pedal adjust handle connected to a microswitch via a spring.
Now all I need to do is to program the throttle course to implement the idle detend in F4 with the throtllerange syntax.