DTU discussion by Rufus
[October 09, 2017, 12:46:11 PM]

Willy's Pit by Moon
[October 08, 2017, 06:17:00 AM]

DTU by Kukki
[October 06, 2017, 09:03:43 AM]

mcfrag0815's IKEA IVAR-Pit Project by mcfrag0815
[October 04, 2017, 02:24:37 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 775166 times)

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2006, 08:51:53 AM »
Rich,
Actually, i am right handed

It's by choice that I always placed my trackball on the left side.
At first, I placed naturally on the right but I very quickly found that it was not convenient because letting go the stick to place the trackball on the correct place is a big no no.

So I decided to place the logitech trackman portable (then velcroed on my TQS) on the left side.
Sure it required some accomodation but it comes very quickly and once you get the hang of it, you're as efficient as with the right hand, even more since you can continue flying the jet at the same time

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Mil

« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2006, 10:50:14 AM »
hey RD look great,  but what is the FOV knob for ?

grts Mil

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2006, 10:57:47 AM »
the zoom view

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »
Red Dog,

Love what you are doing. :beer:
Please rest for a few days.
some of us are just starting , and turning green from envy. :wink: .

Asi

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2006, 11:27:43 AM »
Peten,

Thanks but No way - sorry  :o
I'm on the final sprint, ,nothing can stop me know  8)

I want to get back into flying status asap so I want to get done with it - at least reaching a confortable level for flying seriously with my squadmates

Speaking of not stopping :)
the leftaux is all wired up both on the UCC and on the Xkeys :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:42:05 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2006, 03:30:39 PM »
The first magnetic switch has been installed.
I initialy though I would need a complicated electronic circuit but not at all...
The UCC is perfectly able to deal with that alone. read on.

Over the last few month, the UCC has been greatly updated - one of those modifications was to adapt the PCB lightboards to drive not only 5v leds but real aircraft 28v bulbs (or any voltage between 5v and 28v).

The first mag switch will be the JFS start. Although the real one is a 3 positions, I will use a two positions one. Indeed start1 is not implemented, so start 2 will do.
The 5v is not enough to keep the magnetic switch into the start2 position, I used  24v for that purpose.
When the switch is placed in start2, the JFS run and the JFS run light comes on. That shared memory bit will command the JFS switch.
I thus set two output on the UCC for the JFS run light. The first one for the 5v green led which is on the jet start panel. The other output will use the 24v and drive the switch coil. That voltage is given by an external power supply. 28v Vcc is connected to the + of the magswitch coil, the 28v ground is connected to the relevant ground input of the UCC lightboard.
only the minus of the regular led output on the UCC lightboard is then connected to the - of the magswitch coil.
A protection led is connected through + and - of the coil - that's where I had most of my newbees problems  :oops:

- I activate the switch into the Start2 position - at this time the switch doesn't stay in position
- The switch sends the JFS keystroke to F4 and fires up the JFS indicated by the JFS run light on the Jet start panel that comes ON and the coils gets energized and the swicth stays in position
(this happen very quickly 8) )
Once the engine has started and RPM are rising to a certain level, the JFS Run light comes OFF and at the same time the coil is de energized, releasing the JFS switch to the OFF position  :D with a noisy SNAP!

Here's a video of the action
#Invalid YouTube Link#

A big big thanks go to Loulou and Sharknoir to have helped making this first test a success - you guys are terrific :)

Next step is activating the Parking brakes and AP magnetic switch.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:42:37 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2006, 03:33:54 PM »
And while I was busy diing videos, I did two quick other ones

Gear retraction on the gear panel:
http://www.ravico.com/ST/cockpit/ucc/UCC_gearup.wmv

And the EPU panel
http://www.ravico.com/ST/cockpit/ucc/UCC_Epu.wmv

be gentle on the bandwidth ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:43:04 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline HOLLYWOOD

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »
holy hell, i cant stop watching that video..... im assuming that is the real gear handle considering how hefty of a clank it makes..... ahhhhh im seriously coming to steal your pit....seriously
HOLLYWOOD

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2006, 08:29:56 PM »
Very Cool Olivier!!!

Click Above For Information

Offline Bazooka

• -=VP Donor=-
  • Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: March 27, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »
Awsome...cant wait till mine gets to that point!!

Bazooka
.....High Speed.......Low Drag

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: March 27, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »
I'm the same, I think I watched the JFS switch like 5 times.

Jay

Marvin

« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »
Nice work RD,

I'm in the middle of that stage myself!  It is so cool watching all thsoe lights work!

Great job
Jody

Offline Armitage

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2006, 02:06:40 AM »
That magnetic switch and your landing gear lever and lights are looking fantastic Olivier!

I wasn't really sure that I would use magnetic switches because they seem very hard to get but your video has changed my mind! :)
Wayne
aka Kicker

Offline Boomer

• LT. General
    • http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/jimhinkle/boomer/bb1.jpg
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
very nice
« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2006, 09:39:46 PM »
VERY NICE RD!!!!!!!! :beer:   Your pit is looking GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

Boomer
Democracy is two wolves voting on what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Offline Peten

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Bronze Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Buy me a beer
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: March 31, 2006, 08:41:11 AM »
Wow. :shock:
Every time I enter this thread I know I am going to be jealous again.
I was right :wink:

Great videos Oliver.