HUD GLASS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:27:01 AM]

IR-SENSOR - NATO ICP BACKPLATE by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:23:09 AM]

ACES II - SEAT ROLLERS by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:20:57 AM]

ACES II - FRONT COVER by Kukki
[June 23, 2017, 10:18:34 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 717207 times)

farenheit03

Think I'm with you.
« Reply #360 on: February 18, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »
I am two months from purchasing my first X-keys.  Let me check if I have you right.  You are simply wiring each panel to it own circuit board then to the Matrix board, And the beauty of this is management of cables...correct? Simply but very effective mind if I copy?
Farenheit

Marvin

Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #361 on: February 18, 2006, 04:31:11 PM »
RedDog,

I'm just curious why you did not choose the GammaRayV2 solution.  It appears as though you are doing 3 times as much wiring per panel.

I'm just curious cause the GammaRay is pretty simple, and I have just completed wiring all panels on mine and have used a little over 1100 feet of wire now.  And that is the easyway!   :shock:

Jody

P.S. Nice work though!  :wink:

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #362 on: February 18, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »
Farenheit,
Basically, you're right. except I usually wire 3 to 4 panels on the same PCB. PCBs have 16 or 20 connectors.

Jody,
I didn't because I always used the Xkeys so far and my planning for the toggles and buttons was done already, (beside I already had the Xkeys)

I am now really thinking about a plasma from Leo to drive the pots and some encoders. But I think the button will remain driven by the Xkeys, besides, the programming is now really easy and efficient with macrorecorder.
And I think you're wrong about the cables lenghts. So far I'm just half way of a 25meter IDE20 cables :) And all I have left to wire is the left console. So it seems I used a lot less cables than you  :lol:  :P

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Loulou

« Reply #363 on: February 18, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »
Hello Red  :)

I'm happy to see the X-Konnection kit help you well in your work  8)

You explain the concept from my kit, here a draw about :

Some informations :

The " Baby " PCB are gripped on the 20 wires computer cable where you want along the cable.
You can connect the 128 switch for the X-Keys with 8 " Baby " PCB ( each PCb can drive 16 or 20 switch ) but you can use more PCB if you want. If you want to use 1 PCB for each cockpit panel ( For exemple with only 8 switch on each panel ) it's not a problem for the concept you can do it without changing something on the wiring, you have only to supply more PCB and to grip this on the 20 wires computer cable.
If you disconnect 1 PCB for extract the cockpit panel , no problem you have only to eject the PCB connector for remove it, but all the other switch who are connect on a PCB gripped on the 20 wires computer cable are able to still work, the commun wiring is not broken.

If questions send me a PM   :)

Marvin

« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Farenheit,
Basically, you're right. except I usually wire 3 to 4 panels on the same PCB. PCBs have 16 or 20 connectors.

Jody,
I didn't because I always used the Xkeys so far and my planning for the toggles and buttons was done already, (beside I already had the Xkeys)

I am now really thinking about a plasma from Leo to drive the pots and some encoders. But I think the button will remain driven by the Xkeys, besides, the programming is now really easy and efficient with macrorecorder.
And I think you're wrong about the cables lenghts. So far I'm just half way of a 25meter IDE20 cables :) And all I have left to wire is the left console. So it seems I used a lot less cables than you  :lol:  :P

RedDog,

I got yah now..  Sorry, I was not referring to cable lengths, more so the connections.  It would appear from your photos, that all that soldering is about half of what I did thus far!  :shock:   I burned my fingers too many times, so simple was good my fragile hands! :D

Jody

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2006, 03:38:24 PM »
here's a picture to illustrate the very few wires I needed for my right console:

Yeah, it's messy - but you may agree that there is really a few wires. In there, there is everything needed to wire 5v, 24v, All the panels of the right console (SNSR, HUD, INT LIGHT, AIRSOURCE, AVIONIC PWR)
Plus the lights from the UCC for the CAution panel)
I still need to arrange the wires correctly though.

I also worked a little on the lights such as the instrument lights on the centre feet pedestal

I also placed the dummy MFD screen:

Also added the spotlight on the right. I did nothing more there than replacing the original 28v by a 24v bulb and wiring it to one of my 24v circuits in the console:

The good thing is that it can be switched on separately and works exactly like the real deal. Nice item to have handy.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:43:33 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2006, 03:51:54 PM »
Now, the time consuming stuff is not wiring switches (also that damn HUD panel took the better part of a whole Sunday because of a damn switch and a stupid error on my part).
Nope, the very time consuming task is to document correctly that wiring so you can do easy maintenance on the cockpit if necessary. I'm sure it will be like a computer backup ... don't ask if you'll need it. Ask when!  :?

Anyway, here's my way.

I started from using the switch speadsheets done by Mark doran and updated by Nikolas (If I remember right)
Then I added some personnal info such as source for switches and where to use a resin cap.
Then I added a picture of the panel which helps a lot.
On the same tab, I added my wiring in the red frame and finally, a drawing of Loulou relevant  Xkey PCB with the Xkeys column and row and then the cockpit function and all I have left to add is the F4 keystroke.

Here's a pictures, talks better than anything I can say.

Whatever you do, make sure it works fine for you but do document your wiring. It's well worth the time spent
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:43:42 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Armitage

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2006, 01:57:52 AM »
Hi Red Dog,

Your pit is looking very nice indeed!

I like your spreadsheet idea and I agree that it will most likely save us a lot of hard work if we keep detailed wiring diagrams.

When I try and work on some of the electronics projects I built years ago I find it far more difficult if I didn't keep detailed notes on their construction and wiring.
Wayne
aka Kicker

Mil

« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2006, 11:08:56 AM »
very nice indeed Red Dog ...  

grts Mil

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #369 on: March 04, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
Some two more addition to the current setup:

1. A NSI PS2 trackball gently donated by a friend - I struggled to wire it but thanks to Ray, i got the correct reference and it is now interfaced and working like a charm. I plan on integrating the trackball in a customized panel - with the same dimensions as the Audio 1 panel so it can be placed above or below the UHF panel.
For the buttons, I chose nice (and expensive) antivandal :) pushbutton, the great think is that one of them is convex, the other one is concave (SP?) so It will be very easy to find the correct one in the dark.

2. The other addition is a nice small PCB which is a 8axis, 32 buttons made by Leo Bodnar which he sells for almost nothing :)
Perfect timing since I was looking for a solution to add BMS analogue axis to my setup for the FOV, Volumes, ... It works great along the Cougar and gives access to 8 more axis in BMS advanced setup.
It's also possible to wire up 32 dx button but at this time, I have no plans on using them.

So far I just tested with 5 pots(&button) (one of which is a COugar pot)
Leo's solution is just great  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:43:54 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: March 05, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
I put the trackball on a mockup panel made in plastic sheets, just to get the hang of it and see where I want to have the buttons. Tried also to add the FOV pot to see if it's a good solution.

I finally brought the left console upstairs and started interfacing it bit by bit. At least the days of a half cockpit are over :)

The throttle ain't ready yet, so for the moment, I just placed the Cougar on the console by sacrificing some panels until the arm is ready.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:44:03 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Trackball
« Reply #371 on: March 05, 2006, 04:09:45 PM »
Hi Olivier,

I saw you made the trackball panel the same height as the manual pitch :wink:   :D ; that looks great!! Glad i could help with the NSI trackball.

Raymond

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: March 05, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »
lol Ray, it's just a tad bigger - more like the Audio 1 panel  :o

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Armitage

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2006, 01:41:35 AM »
That trackerball is looking really great Red Dog! It blends in perfectly with your other panels.

Is it easy and comfortable to use where you have placed it?
Wayne
aka Kicker

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2006, 06:41:25 AM »
Juddging by the mounting location I'm gussing you're left handed Oliver?  Will the trackball still be accessible if the throttle is forward?

Great idea for integrating the PC with the pit!
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio