CALIFORNIA BUSINESS TRIP - END OF APRIL by Strale
[April 21, 2017, 05:41:55 PM]

HUDCAM + Sensor by Rufus
[April 21, 2017, 03:20:24 PM]

ATD (Advanced Threat Display) by Rufus
[April 21, 2017, 03:06:46 PM]

Ugamanuga's pit by Ugamanuga
[April 21, 2017, 09:31:43 AM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 686098 times)

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »
WOW RD, that sucker is looking like the real deal.  Keep at it.

Jay

Anonymous

« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2006, 11:17:45 PM »
Now who's the gold standard!   :shock:   Very dam cool Olivier   :beer:

Cheers,
Jason

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Pit
« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2006, 05:49:52 AM »
Wauw, it looks absolutely fantastic Olivier!!! :partyman:

I know the problem of getting in, that's why i placed the seat on rollers.

Raymond

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2006, 08:01:41 AM »

Fantastic work Oliver!
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2006, 09:14:38 AM »
Oliver, one word : DAMN :shock:

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »
Thanks guys,
None of this would have been possible without Viperpit, so my thanks go to you all  :D

Beside taking the cockpit upstairs, I attached the panels on the right console. Charos, this one is for you :)

The process is quite simple, The false Dzus uses M4 screws and I bore a 3.5mm hole into the half squared aluminium section and i don't even need to thread the hole. I just screw the M4 in and it makes its own thread.
Very easy and no need to use bolts on the inside of the console, quite convenient.

The comparison between a real DZus and the fake:

I think Mike's panel stands the comparison pretty well, don't they :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:44:54 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2006, 05:13:34 PM »
Quote from: "Red Dog"
Charos, this one is for you :)

Looking great there! If you use black screws it will be perfect.

BUT: [geek mode] The notches on the real Dzus studs would be aligned, might want to tighten some of the screw a bit more to get that effect [/geek mode].

Yeah, like I was saying, fantastic  :D

Nikolas

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2006, 05:18:25 PM »
Fun aside, I have three questions for you:

1. When is that trip to the US?
2. What is your address?
3. Do you leave the key under the doormat?

Nikolas

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2006, 05:56:50 PM »
Lol Charos
I will align the screw... :lol:

As for the black screws - they are hard to get ... but nothing my airbrush can't solve

Your three questions;
1. Next week
2. Brussels Belgium - ask for the sick guys with a F16 cockpit in the garage, they all know me, Brussels is a very small city.
3. Nope, My wife has strict instructions to let nobody in while I'm away

And you forgot to ask if I have a dog.  8) sleeping in the pit  :lol:
I don't but I'll booby trap the cockpit now :wink:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

farenheit03

Red Dog
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2006, 03:17:20 PM »
A beautiful piece of work.  My wife has mocked and jested about my plans to build a pit.  She walked past a few moments ago whilst I was admiring your pictures. I pointed to the screen,

'Love this is what I wanna achieve'

'Where you planning to stick that?' came the reply.
Wife last seen pouring a large Vodka and going to bed.

Farenheit

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #340 on: February 07, 2006, 06:23:20 AM »
Well it's been a while but my pit is stuck between the bed and the office :)
I'm still married so it seems it worked out fine... Altough I'm now comitted to find a bigger house  :lol:  Damn hobby.

I started working on electronic which should be very quick since all components are already working as a side assembly and I will just need to integrate all the different subassemblies in the pit.

All the lights will be driven by the UCC.
I use 2 Xkeys for all the buttons. One is interfaced to the 2 MFD and ICP without the use of leds and the second one is interfaced to all the cockpit switches with Loulou's Xkeys connection kit.
I must say Loulou's work proved to be a great help once again. It will save a lot of cables around the cockpit because the way we can position small 16 or 20 connection card around the cockpit.
Mine has 2x20 switches cards on the front panel, and 3x16 switches card into each side console at this time. Between each smaller PCB, we only have a 20 wire IDE cable running.
It's a hell of a lot easier to interface.
Picture will follow soon.

I spent the week-end working on adding external lights into the pit. I will have to use 2 circuits. One will be 5v to power real gauges and Mfds
backlight and the glareshield lights (where I replaced the 28v bulbs with 6v bulbs. The second one will be 24v to power the dummies gauges I created where I reused the warning light panels 28v bulbs. That circuit will also give power to the magnetic switch once I start using them.

I did some connection clips for each circuit with Cougar connectors. Works fine and it's very easy to add a light a remove one for maintenance.

Here's the mess behind the front panel. Believe it or not, I already cleaned that mess twice :)

And finally, here is a picture of the dummy homemade backlighted gauges:

I'm pretty happy with the result.

So far, I'm using the Mal Ind Light switch on the INT LIGHT panel to power both the 24v and 5v circuit at the same time (with a double pole switch). The 3 glareshields lights are powered up separetely and the glareshield spotlights are powered when unstowed.

No panel backlight yet save for the real panels with 5v and white lights which are hooked up on the 5v circuit: O2 panel, Nuke panel and Chaff&flares panel.

Backlighting Mike's panel will come...in due time  8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:45:13 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog
« Reply #341 on: February 07, 2006, 07:11:29 AM »
OOOOOOOooooooooo....I wantssssesss onessssss!!

Fantastic job!!! It is work like that that really tipped me over to build a proper pit.  Now every day I look at the forum, I see MORE that I want to do!!!

Akers Barnes??? Is that a discount store??

regards and congrats

Darryl
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline Killratio

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog
« Reply #342 on: February 07, 2006, 07:11:29 AM »
Oh, and thanks for the Cougar plate! Stunning design

Darryl
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:

AND
[url=http://s24.photobucket.com/user/Ki

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
    • Awards
« Reply #343 on: February 07, 2006, 10:34:34 AM »
Looking great there, RD. One question about these:

What's the thread for the cover? I think I'm going to make some.

Nikolas

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »
Nikolas,

I'll try to measure up for you.

In the meantime - some night shots: It's the same view twice. But the first is backlight only, the second is with the glareshield lights on.

The gauges backlight and lightbits are not so bright, but because of the long exposure time of the picture, they are very bright in the pictures.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:45:31 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog