Faan's pit by Focaldesign
[June 18, 2017, 02:42:41 AM]

Popeye's pit by sagrzmnky
[June 16, 2017, 08:56:10 PM]

ACES II Seatbelt Recator System by Kukki
[June 16, 2017, 12:09:55 AM]

Willy's Pit by Keule
[June 14, 2017, 02:11:09 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 714276 times)

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2006, 03:57:03 PM »
Looks Great!!

and Happy New Year!!

Click Above For Information

Offline Rayman

• -=VP Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Gold Cup Award: Awarded to someone for a special achievement : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts
    • Awards
ACES
« Reply #316 on: January 01, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »
Looking great already RD, now some picures with everything assembled!!! :D

Raymond

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: January 01, 2006, 05:47:43 PM »
nan, that would ruin the suspense  :twisted:
I have seen it already - even better, i sat in it one full hour at -2?C outside temp, just getting my marks and reaching switches and checking dimensions and feeling  ...  :lol:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Anonymous

Pit testing???
« Reply #318 on: January 01, 2006, 05:56:30 PM »
Red Dog :oops:

So long as you werent naked sat in your pit ...it was OK!!!

LOL!!

Nimbus :lol:

Offline Marv

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Re: Pit testing???
« Reply #319 on: January 01, 2006, 10:07:18 PM »
Please don't bother posting that picture.

Quote from: "Nimbus"
Red Dog :oops:

So long as you werent naked sat in your pit ...it was OK!!!

LOL!!

Nimbus :lol:

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: January 02, 2006, 01:02:07 PM »
No way  :shock:
Finally started work on the left side wall to support the throttle gate.. that was messy.

I had to do two ribs (Thanks Jason for your help) to support the throttle gate. Then the two plastic side walls were attached to the ribs around the rail.

Oustide view.  You can see a lot of patchwork since it was not planned this way originally. So I had to improvise a lot.
the good thing is taht I will have access to the countermeasure button on the side wall. I hope not to destroy the assembly when I hit that one with my elbow in a panic moment  :P
The bad thing is that I will now need to source the yellow spider or do a dummy one myself!

The throttle is not yet attached? I'm still considering how to do the angled plate to use as a support for the throttle axis.

I ran out of aluminium to make the external skin, so I decided to make it with 4 mm wood cut small parts and attached to the curve of the ribs. I'm very bad at that kind of stuff ...

Then the curve was sanded smooth and I added Fiberglass on it the sand again then again, then again hoping to get a baby skin, but I'm not there yet  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:45:57 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Python

« Reply #321 on: January 02, 2006, 02:26:29 PM »
Looking good RD!

showtime817

« Reply #322 on: January 02, 2006, 05:59:03 PM »
RD it's looking good.

I used a high build primer call Duratec on my last pit.  It's a two part apoxy that really hides wood grain and also it sands rrreallllly easy, I used 180 and then 320 with a da sander and I was ready to paint.  The only draw back is it's about $50.00 dollars agallon.

I use a air nozzle with a tube on the bottom side, and you put the tube in cup with your high build primer and spray the thinkness you want.  I'm about two    mounths away of useing the Duratec on my pit, I'll post pic at that time.

Heres a link on the primer. http://www.duratec1.com/dp04.html

Showtime.

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2006, 03:27:07 PM »
well, I spent the week sanding whenever I could and today, I finally attached all sub assemblies together while allowing easy dissasembling.

I was finally able to dryfit all parts on the daylight instead of working in the dark garage.  Here's the current stage:

Side View:

I still have paint work ahead and that damn throttle arm is really giving me headaches - Somebody said once, half a degree off and you're screwed and he (she) was damn right. The front part of the Glareshield (the large ones) can be fitted as well. I won't use them for now because my office table comes right above the electronic shelf with enough clearance for the backup ADI, and the screen is placed there.  So all the front part where the rudder is located goes beneath the office.

3/4 view, my best one :)

Back side:

I had to separate the back access door of the seat in two smaller door? I'm pretty glad I decided to place an access there, it makes my life much easier when I screw the seat on the base and to do maintenance on the seat buttons (eject handle and arming lever)

Left side:

I kind of like the assymetrical sdes of the cockpit, although I'm still not decided if I'll keep that wall section - that will probably depend on the success of the throttle installation. This afternoon's attempt was fruitless :(
The surface is ready to paint and is pretty smotth. I just have a weird curve on the top section but I think I can live with it.
I did that by trying to go too fast and used the saw like a beginner... never work in a hurry - I though I knew it  :?

Stage 2 of the cockpit adventure is nearly complete. Stage 3 will be cable &wires nightmare.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:46:13 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Loulou

« Reply #324 on: January 07, 2006, 04:42:40 PM »
WONDERFULL ! Looks great     :wink:

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »
Here are some details shots:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:46:27 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2006, 04:59:48 PM »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
FA-NTA-STIC!!!
:beer: :beer: :beer:
Congratulations Olivier, it really looks great!

Nikolas

Online Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2006, 05:07:28 PM »
Thanks, Now how do I get into this thing  :P  :?  :lol:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2006, 05:22:37 PM »
Inspirational!!

Click Above For Information

showtime817

« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2006, 07:59:02 PM »