ACESII - Kneeguards by Kukki
[March 19, 2017, 12:22:52 PM]

Spyder by Red Dog
[March 19, 2017, 08:09:50 AM]

ACESII - Seat rollers by Kukki
[March 18, 2017, 05:51:56 PM]

Faan's pit by Rufus
[March 18, 2017, 05:19:26 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 670859 times)

Marvin

Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2005, 01:36:52 PM »
Quote from: "Charos"
RD thanks for the compliments. You and Marvin are obviously the voice of reason. I'm probably overcomplicating things but it just stuck in my head that I MUST have Dzus rails!

Nikolas

Nikolas,

I think we all make or made that mistake.  When we first set out on this goal we all want one thing.  And that is as real as it gets..  However, due to money, information, or just a pain in the butt, we sometimes need to compromise.  I don't think anyone should feel the lesser, if they made a compromise and did not have something that was authentic.  For me, I just want to use my pit, and quit building and spending money on it.  So I made many compromises to get me where I am now.  And that is Flying!!!

Jody  8)

Offline Marv

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: December 13, 2005, 06:04:16 PM »
I have taken aluminum dowel rod that 3/8" round, drilled a hole in it, and countersunk the one end used a slotted flat head screw to make fake Dzus fasteners.  I think the screw was an 8-32 or 6-32 flathead.

I had to turn the head down a little to get the right diameter, but they looked dead nuts on and can be screwed in-out like a normal screw.

Quote from: "Kabar03"
I agree, the capscrews are a good compromise, they look good on Jody's pit. I was thinking of using a 1/4-20 capscrew, then making castings for the
screwslot in resin as inserts, anyhow,, the way I see it, our pits are just big wonderful fasads anyway :).

Since the Dzus rails got for the price of gold, I like the aluminum angle
idea and will probably follow down that path. For those decking their pits out with 99.9% real parts, its probably more logical to go the real Dzuz route.

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: December 13, 2005, 06:50:29 PM »
Damn, Marv, that's another wonderful idea.  I can't believe someone didn't think of that first, it's so simple and elegant and you'd NEVER know the difference.

Jay

Offline Marv

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: December 13, 2005, 07:24:25 PM »
I'm pulling out all the stops now!

Better than aluminum is black nylon Acetal rod.  It is very easy to work and is already black in color.

The stuff you want is .375" in diameter and cut it to about .300" long.

MSC sells it (part number 63383780).  It costs less than a dollar per foot.  MSC can be contacted at 800 645-7270.

Quote from: "Crease-Guard"
Damn, Marv, that's another wonderful idea.  I can't believe someone didn't think of that first, it's so simple and elegant and you'd NEVER know the difference.

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2005, 05:07:02 AM »
This is what i had in mind should I not use the allen screws:

Mike, any more hints on the bluetooth dongle, the idea is pretty appealing to me since it would be pretty easy to install a PDA keyboard in the pit.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:46:46 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Marvin

« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2005, 05:25:34 AM »
RD,

Wow, those are great!!  If it is not an extra amount of work to do that route, I would say do it!

Jody

Offline Marv

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2005, 05:33:57 AM »
Perfect!

Quote from: "Red Dog"
This is what i had in mind should I not use the allen screws:

Mike, any more hints on the bluetooth dongle, the idea is pretty appealing to me since it would be pretty easy to install a PDA keyboard in the pit.

Python

« Reply #307 on: December 15, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Those look great!

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: December 15, 2005, 12:54:34 PM »
Nice fasteners!

Here is a BT dongle listed on ebay for instance.
I'm not sure if the PDA/PPC keyboards require a driver to work, might look into that before purchasing one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-100M-Bluetooth-Dongle-USB-Adapter-Adaptor-BK-UK_W0QQitemZ5840366922QQcategoryZ44999QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Click Above For Information

Offline Nikolas_A

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2005, 11:01:22 AM »
Well, I lost the Dzus studs on ebay, so I took it as a sign and desided to listen to the voice of reason. I'll make fake ones like the one in RD's photos and save my machining time for where it counts. I made a sample (will post a pic in my thread when I get my camera back).

Nikolas

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2005, 03:29:33 PM »
Here are some progress made the last days.

Worked on finishing the left aux by adding the TWA from Mike with my homemade photoetched buttons. 3 of the 4 are working pushbuttons, the last one (ACTIVITY) is only an indicator)
I also made the small plastic part for securing the ALT GEAR handle. Since I don't have the real one, I used an AGT handle.

I also made some progress on the right front glareshield by making the tabs for the eyebrow assy and preparing the center edge to be able to install the DED.
I will soon break my theets on that one :)

And now, the big victory of the week  :shock:  After all it's Christmas  :lol:
I finally have a homemade solution to my stick base problem. This is not 100% acceptable, but it will have to do until I find better:

The stick is a special FCC made smaller to fit the dimensions of a real stick base. The base itself is made out of an aluminium cylinder machined on the lathe so the FCC can go inside at a 12? angle. On the bottom the aluminium cylinder is screwed to the aux console so it doesn't move. 
As you can see, unlike the real one, I attached the stick base to the bottom of the aux and not through the connector part on the angled face of the aux console.
The rest is merely eyecandy and consist of a aluminium sheet cut to shape and bent around the cylinder which is attached to the connecting part. the aluminium sheet is also screwed in the cylinder on 4 points.
The top of the base (the white part) is made of plastic and will be epoxied on the aluminium in the week, just before painting the stick base grey.

At this time, the stick base is attached to the bottom of the aux with 3 screws but I machined a special wahser so I can attach it on 4 points.

Next step, that damn throttle arm  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:47:11 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum
    • Awards
« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2005, 07:19:59 PM »
More excellent work!

When will we see pics of it with your ACES installed?

Click Above For Information

Offline Marv

• Col.
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2005, 07:43:13 PM »
Impressive!

Your SSC looks pretty neat, too.  How much force will be required to get full scale for pitch and roll?

Marv

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: December 27, 2005, 01:54:26 PM »
Mike,
Well - descending the seat downstairs should happen tomorrow :) So I guess you'll have a picture before the end of the week  :P

Thanks Marv  :lol:
The forces are actually the same as the standard FCC. I never took the time to measure them properly simply because the CCP allows me to change cougar axis curve on the fly or though a profile.but you know that already  :wink:

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: January 01, 2006, 03:34:45 PM »
I made huge progress during the holiday break. The plan was to get the pit upstairs before today and I failed  :lol:
Working on it one day out of 2 (the other being devoted to social life) wasn't enough. But I hope to reach that goal next week.

Here's the first part of the work; as promised the seat was taken downstairs and since it was never installed on the base, it was a little sterssfull... will it fit, will it conflict with the side console, will it suit the front panel placement ... ?

All these questions were answered at once with a big "YES" it fits like a glove  :lol:

So the first part was to secure the seat onto the base while keeping the possibility to get the seat out and put it on the ground (as it was until now) and still be able to fly. (I don't know why? I just want to keep all doors open)
So I started by taking out the two part of the base :

And cut slices in the wood so the under part of the seat backside could be inserted into the base (instead of cutting it flush) that will aslo help stabilize the seat and prevent it for falling on its back when I sit in it.  :roll:

The right picture shows the wood part back in place onto the base.  the seat just snap into position it doesn't move even unscrewed. I will though screw the bottom of the seat to the base with 4 big bolts ... just in case.

The unpainted shelf is the avionic bay. It comes right behind the front panel, under the glareshield (or the office table) and will support all main  electronic components such as the main board for the Xkey, the UCC, some PCBs for lights, the RWR stuff ...
It also stabilize the front panel, particularily on the side of the MISC panel and opposite. Indeed, the front panel being made in wood and being full of holes, solidity may be an issue. So the shelf is attached to the side of the front panel to avoid any movement by the wood ... as if it were made out of metal.

Here is a picture with the first 2 PCB attached. that is the Xkeys devoted to interfacing only the ICP and MFDs and the circuit PCB for the 3 main component of the front panel.

here's what it gives with the seat attached: Since then I lowered the seat by removing the 18mm spacer between the base and the bottom of the seat.

I also got myself a nice present from an old friend in Australia: The inertia lock reel handle : the last part I missed on the seat   :P
thanks Dave :!:
I also will need to find a solution for interfacing the ejection handle but I'm sure I'll find how to on the forum :)

I have plenty of other stuff to show you guys, but that will be for later in the week :)

Happy new year
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:47:38 PM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog