Grease Monkey's Pit by sagrzmnky
[February 24, 2017, 03:00:16 AM]

Falcon Pit block 52+ from Poland by Ski
[February 23, 2017, 05:53:03 PM]

Henkie's pit by KK
[February 21, 2017, 03:51:04 AM]

F-16 fuselage by simpit
[February 20, 2017, 05:54:18 PM]

Author Topic: Red Dog's pit - I finally started  (Read 658270 times)

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
  • VP Awards : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
Red Dog's pit - I finally started
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2004, 10:02:42 AM »
:D Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, thanks. Really great stuff :D  :D  :D  :D
J.A.K.

Offline nightowl

• Col.
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2004, 03:29:26 AM »
Got to agree with J.A.K., those are great photos.  8)  Thanks for sharing them with everyone Red Dog.

I just wish I had J.A.K's smarts and had asked the question myself before spending hours trying to estimate all the dimensions of the brackets prior to building mine.

Re the headrest plate, I have just had an idea for an improved version to the one I made originally. I just need to try it out and see if it will in fact work. I'll send details when I have tested my theory.

Cheers
nightowl

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2004, 06:44:27 AM »
Me smart :oops: thanks for the compliment Nightowl :D . I was planning to make them a long time. But I needed good references. Reddog has safe me alot of time :wink: Yours are great :shock:  :D I will do some dumpster diving at work for some 90 degree profiles that I'm thinking to use.
J.A.K.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2004, 02:58:42 PM »
The least I can do with all the help I get from you guys :)

>Saturday was spent doing some model work  8) Actually, this seat is my first 1/1 model to go along this one :

1/32 scale model converted to MLU from Hasegawa F-16C
Still in need for some stores...

Anyway, I painted some details to go on the seat such as the Oxygen bottle, ...

First layers in white, then applying the masks for thelettering:

Then 3 layers of metallic green and get the masks off and finally two coat of varnish.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:06:20 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Marvin

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2004, 04:00:35 PM »
Rouge Chein,  :wink:

Wow, great work on the seat.  You are making some great detail.  And once again you have proven the theory "there is always a bigger and better fish"  :wink:

Now for that model..  You must start another thread explaining how you weather and make the detail on the F-16s skin stand out so much.  I just started getting back into models.  Although I was pretty good at airbrushing I never really knew or got into weathering and getting so much detail.  I just picked up a Hasagawa 1/48 CJ as well as 157th OIF series decals.  I am still looking for a way to make or buy the IFF fins on the nose.

Take care
Jody

Quote from: "Red Dog"
The least I can do with all the help I get from you guys :)

>Saturday was spent doing some model work  8) Actually, this seat is my first 1/1 model to go along this one :

1/32 scale model converted to MLU from Hasegawa F-16C
Still in need for some stores...

Anyway, I painted some details to go on the seat such as the Oxygen bottle, ...

First layers in white, then applying the masks for thelettering:

Then 3 layers of metallic green and get the masks off and finally two coat of varnish.

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 04:24:45 AM »
Yeah, what Jody said about the modeling.  I got back into it a couple of years ago.  Did an F4 Phantom without whethering.  Have started an F-15E about 2 years ago whethering it.  I think for my first attempt at whethering, it has turned out pretty good.  Problem is, I have never finished that model and I have a 1/32 F-16 sitting in my closet I have never started.

I hope once I get my new office setup, I will have some time to complete the F-15 and start the F-16.

Jay

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 04:50:57 AM »
Well guys, No problem giving a step by step report of the buiding of this one: Check there... Hope it was the good place to post:

http://www.viperpit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575

Actually, it was very easy to do this post since the building of the model has been the core of a step by step report of the model in a french forum. In that thread two guys  :lol:  built the same model with different techniques and different experiences. A real good adventure that started in December 2003 and which is finally nearing completion :)

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 05:18:32 AM »
After that model interlude, here's the follow up of the seat work.
Sunday was spent placing the aluminium back plate with its multiple curves ...  :shock:

Started by placing the 0.5mm  aluminium plate on the back rest and deliberately making it go over the side of the back rest so I can cut the aluminium at the final stage. Then I pop riveted the center

Riveting goes on toward the sides and from below.

It took me about 2 hours and in the end I dry fitted the seat to judge the result:

mmmh...something is wrong but I don't know what yet... :?:

I placed the cushions to check:

Got it  :oops: , the back rest is too long (high) Normally, the back cushion should end closer to the roller assembly. So the backrest has to be lowered.

The seat is placed back on the chirurgical table.

Since I placed an underside to the seatpan, I needed to cut it so the backrest can be lowered.

Then, the two parts are attached together and a new check is performed:

Aah, better  :D

Now I will decide later if I'll cut the excess of the backrest or if I will keep it as part of the upcoming stand I will use. Since I decided to place wheels under the front part of the seat so I can move it easily.

Details of the head rest.

And finally, placement of the details of the side of the seat. the rollers are made out of plain aluminium and the rest is bent aluminium sheets (0.5mm)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:06:53 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog

Offline Crease-Guard

• Global Moderator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Outstanding Build Award: Awarded for an outstanding pit build : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 2000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 2000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 07:34:04 AM »
Tell you what RedDog, that seat is looking really great.  That's one of the best backrest jobs I've seen and your headrest looks spot on.

Keep up the good work.

Jay

Offline Flareless

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
  • VP Awards : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : 1000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 1000 posts : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 07:57:58 AM »
Excellent detail Red Dog!!!  Thanks for the project update.  Keep those photos coming.
Blue Skies,

Flareless
Lower West Side Studio

Offline J.A.K.

• Brig.General
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2004, 11:49:37 AM »
Wow, nice work :D
I have some catching up to do :wink:  :D
J.A.K.

Offline Ka-Bar03

• - Mike -
  • Administrator
  • General
  • VP Awards : Gold Medal Award: Awarded for special contributions to the community : Top Poster Award: for those 30 members with most posts : Silver Heart Award: Awarded to those showing a real heart for the community and/or it's cause : Old Geezer Award: Awarded after 10 years of community service : Most Time Online Award: Awarded to those 30 members with most time on the forum : 3000+ posts Award: Awarded for achieving over 3000 posts
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2004, 09:45:17 PM »
Awesome model, that will look great in your pit room. I have about 6-7 unbuilt f-16s I want to build at some point for my pitroom. Yours is one of the best models I have seen, you should enter it in some shows.

Your seat reflects the same meticulous modeling in a grander scale, great talent RD!

Click Above For Information

badboy

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2004, 03:25:07 AM »
nice job RD,looking very nice!!
keep us posted,

grtz,
Tom

Al

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2004, 10:34:56 PM »
Very nice Chair and Cushions there Red dog :)

I particularly like the Roller wheels you made.

Offline Red Dog

• -=VP Veteran Donor=-
  • General
    • CombatSim Checklists
    • Buy me some coffee
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2004, 04:48:24 AM »
Thanks guys  :lol:

Little time I had this week-end was devoted to detailling the right side of the seat.

Here's the seatpan side:

Rivets are 8mm (and there are a lot of them)
The 5 emboss details are done in resin.
the longitudinal emboss detail is a half round in wood correctly sanded.
The front white part is 2mm plasticard.

Here's the backrest detail:

I used resin or aluminium for the rolls,
Aluminium sheet and MDF for the roll protections
The cables system are done with gaz pipes connector bought from a normal do it yourself supermarket :)
I still need to place some details around the hole.

Here's the seat in its current stage:

Notice the wheels I placed up front.
the backrest will be cut at the ground angle so I can "set" in a certain way the angle of the seat.

Next step - left side and then paintworks  :?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:07:24 AM by Red Dog »

Have a bandit day
Red Dog